The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Homebrewing Cost analysis.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2007, 01:56 PM   #1
Sea
Green Flash IPA on tap
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Homebrewing Cost analysis.

So I ran a VERY crude cost analysis of brewing versus buying at both the store and the bar. Let me stress that money is not why I brew, but was just curious what my time is worth. I'm sure this has been done a hundred times, here's my take:

Assumed:

-Realistically, 8 hours time over 4-5 weeks.
-My AG batches have been running around $30 (I don't buy in bulk or reuse yeast yet)
-Sixer in store, ave. $7.80 (with deposit here in OR)
-Pint at bar $3.50

5 Gal at store $69
5 Gal at bar $140

So, my time's worth $4.87/hr (store) or $13.75/hr (Bar). The bar number is a little disingenuous, since you don't really get to drink the beer you buy at the bar at home.

Conclusion:

Ask yourself the question: Would you take a job doing something you loved that only payed $4.87/hr, if you could drink all day at work?

Tough decision.......

Corrupt Brewers

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2007, 02:02 PM   #2
bigjohnmilford
bigger than most

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 111

I'd say the brewing is worth it. I think I produce a better product @ home then I can buy. That's not to say I don't buy any though. Thanks for doing the work for me. Have a good one

Old 10-11-2007, 02:13 PM   #3
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 251 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohnmilford
I'd say the brewing is worth it. I think I produce a better product @ home then I can buy. That's not to say I don't buy any though.
I agree 100%. I love having 3 faucets on tap in my kitchen and when a keg blows, I head out to the garage and pickup another chilled & carbed keg ready to go.

My costs for 5 gallon batches range from $6.50 to $9 depending on the recipe since I buy bulk an propagate liquid yeast strains.

While I save loads of bucks on my beer, you cannot put a price on the satisfaction I get each time I pull one of my beers, bring the glass to my lips, and marvel at the fact that I created this liquid nectar of the gods.

Old 10-11-2007, 02:38 PM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I definitely don't do it for the money. Even if someone handed me the exact beer that I brew for the cost (minus my time), I would still want to do it myself. That's why it's called a hobby. Of course it's impractical. I have tons of money tied up in it already and it's not stopping anytime soon. I'm really careful when people ask me how much money I save by brewing. haha.. You end up sounding like a woman trying to justify buying 4 pairs of shoes on "sale".

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 10-11-2007, 02:59 PM   #5
Big "A"
Recipes 

I was kind of interested to see how much I would save at first. Which I guess by brewing your own you do. I get more satisfaction from the fact that I created it much like EdWort.

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."
-Frank Zappa

Old 10-11-2007, 03:01 PM   #6
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts

It's a hobby. By definition, hobbies are incredible wastes of time and money. They give us something to do and keep our minds active. You shouldn't homebrew to save money, you should do it because you honestly have no better way you'd rather spend your time.

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 10-11-2007, 03:08 PM   #7
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 352 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 93

Yup. Hobby. Keeps me from getting bored with the domestic life. I'm not just looking for the cheapest way to get beer. The cost, as long as it's reasonable and doesn't hurt the family budget, is essentially irrelevant.

Here's another way to look at it - would you pay $5/hr to have as much fun as this hobby provides?

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 10-11-2007, 03:25 PM   #8
Funkenjaeger

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea
Ask yourself the question: Would you take a job doing something you loved that only payed $4.87/hr, if you could drink all day at work?
Don't forget, it's also a job where you can work as much or as little as you want, whenever you have the free time to do so - no schedule, no boss, no pressure. And with a small amount of added planning and effort, you can dramatically increase your "pay rate" - it's not unreasonable to think that you could quite easily cut the cost of your batches in half (bulk grain/hops and yeast reuse), and shave an hour or two off the time spent on each batch, doubling or tripling the rates you calculated.

And, I agree 100% with everything the_bird said. Saving money on beer is nothing but a great side benefit.

Last edited by Funkenjaeger; 10-11-2007 at 03:27 PM.

Old 10-11-2007, 03:27 PM   #9
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts

Best part about the hobby is that you don't end up with a bunch of model airplanes or stuff that'll clutter up your house. Just stuff to clutter the garage.

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 10-11-2007, 03:36 PM   #10
JustDave

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
Here's another way to look at it - would you pay $5/hr to have as much fun as this hobby provides?
Yes. Except on bottling day.

Quick Reply