New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Homebrewing Blog

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 11:33 PM   #531
scottland
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Ya, I agree with you guys. Someone took the time to read the article, and comment on the article. I always try to reply back to every comment, even if its just a "Thanks."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 12:32 AM   #532
JLem
naturally selected

Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettwasbtd

I concur, and I have shamelessly promototed myself a time or two in this thread. I have mostly used the thread to pick up new blogs which I add to my bloglist on my site. The list is getting rather long, but since I have it setup to order dynamically based on the most recent posts (on top) I don't mind to much. I actually, use the list on my blog a couple times a week to catch up with everyone else. I think there are one or two other members of this thread which use a similiar linking system to follow me as I can see in the analytics who I am getting a lot of hits from.

Another thing I would like to get off my chest is commenting. If I can add something insightful, ask a related question, or add to the discussion of your post, I am going to try and comment. Some of you are really good about responding to a comments and I appreciate it! Others just don't...If your blog is just there for your own recipe database, thats fine, but I tend to think of it as sharing avenue, much like the forum but on a little more personal level. It saddens me when fellow bloggers don't respond to comments. Its good for everyones blog when disccusion occurs.
I agree about the commenting thing, which is why I try to respond to any comments in a (relatively) timely manner. I often wish for replies to my replies - to sort of get a dialogue going, but I guess that would only happen if enough people were regular visitors and I posted more than once a month.

Old 12-11-2012, 12:05 PM   #533
AnchorBock
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I usually post in here when I have a brew day update and regularly look on this thread for updates. I try to check on to many blogs to follow them all via email so I actually appreciate it when people post in this thread with a new post on their blog.

I like the bloglist on your site brettwasbtd!

Homebrewing blog: http://bagendbrewery.wordpress.com

Beer Engine Caskegerator - Hand pump/keg enclosure for Real Ale at home.

Old 12-11-2012, 01:56 PM   #534
1stTimer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Agreed on Jelms comments as well. I get some comments and I have it set up so i get an alert on my phone. I respond immediate if possible. If not, I do respond within a day.

Secondary: Black RyePA, Sour
Currently in Bottles: Zaporter part deux, Black Betty Oaked Bourbon Porter
Currently in Kegs: Donkey Milk Stout, Galaxy IPA

Old 12-11-2012, 01:58 PM   #535
1stTimer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Agree with Brett as well.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:00 PM   #536
1stTimer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I certainly was after hits when I first started the blog. I was also trying to get it out there to more people. But I've learned through time that its more about content. I've been trying to do a better job of that.

Soon I will be going to a site I pay for. Its all part of our hopeful expansion into the business. We shall see. Hope everyone is well. CHEERS

Old 12-11-2012, 02:14 PM   #537
Lavender_Pepper
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I agree with what's been said about comments. I love creating a dialogue, and more so I think it's important. I don't get too too many on my blog, likely because it doesn't have a super tight 'beer blog' focus (beer/brewing, slice of life, and until I moved: gardening), but I do my best to get back to them ASAP. Similarly, I love commenting on blogs where I know I'll get a response.

Primary: Fat Tire Clone

Old 12-11-2012, 09:19 PM   #538
hoppedupbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

While we're talking about commenting, what are people's thoughts on comment systems?

Blogger blogs allow a host of login options, blogs hosted on wordpress usually allow people to sign-in with facebook, twitter, or use a name and email. Disqus is becoming more popular and has options similar to wordpress.com blogs.

Asking the general audience in this thread: are there barriers to commenting that keeps you from engaging an author?

I'm personally guilty of reading feeds in a feed reader, so I don't always click over to the article and see if there's a discussion going at the site itself unless the article ends with a question to the readers or is otherwise engaging enough that I have something I feel I can add.

Lupulin crazed abandon!
http://hoppedupbrewer.com/ | Follow me on Twitter: @hoppedupbrewer

Old 12-11-2012, 11:32 PM   #539
brettwasbtd
Awesomeness Award Winnner

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppedupbrewer View Post
While we're talking about commenting, what are people's thoughts on comment systems?

Blogger blogs allow a host of login options, blogs hosted on wordpress usually allow people to sign-in with facebook, twitter, or use a name and email. Disqus is becoming more popular and has options similar to wordpress.com blogs.

Asking the general audience in this thread: are there barriers to commenting that keeps you from engaging an author?

I'm personally guilty of reading feeds in a feed reader, so I don't always click over to the article and see if there's a discussion going at the site itself unless the article ends with a question to the readers or is otherwise engaging enough that I have something I feel I can add.
I like being able to sign in with a name/URL that blogger offers, however, I then miss out sometimes if I don't follow up. I really like, which i think wordpress does, the comment system which allows the commenter to select if they wish to receive email updates when other people comment. Its nice to know when others are commenting rather then having to make a mental note of where I left a comment a circle back.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:50 AM   #540
Biscostew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Posted a couple beer industry related posts in the past few days including one on my take in the recent craft vs. crafty debate. Check em out and let me know what you think!

Check out my blog Lionheart Brewing for homebrew recipes other beer related thoughts or follow me on twitter @LionheartBeer

Quick Reply