Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > HomeBrewers Team trying to beat the U.S. Army Team -- we are declaring war!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2005, 10:17 AM   #1
billvelek
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default HomeBrewers Team trying to beat the U.S. Army Team -- we are declaring war!

This is an appeal to all homebrewers throughout the WORLD to join our "HomeBrewers" Team by donating your computer's spare time for research. This benefits all of mankind (e.g., medical research). Let's show the entire world that "HomeBrewers are a force to be reckoned with!" :-)

This program is safe (no viruses or spyware or resulting spam), and it operates invisibly in the background; I haven't noticed _ANY_ change in system performance. Anyone can join our team, such as your family and friends, and it's easy and takes only a few minutes.

This is how it works:
1. You download and install the program, _BEING_SURE_TO_SELECT_OUR_TEAM;
2. World Community Grid will then give your computer an assignment;
3. During its spare time, such as when you are sleeping or not using it, your computer will work on the assignment;
4. When finished, your computer will automatically send the results to World Community Grid, which will credit you, your country, and our team, with "points", and then give your computer a new assignment, and the cycle starts over.

It is the aggregate number of points that are used to compare teams, and I'm comparing our stats with the following: US Army, US Air Force, IBM, MicroSoft, Harvard University, Oxford University, & Stanford University; those stats can be seen here: http://tinyurl.com/aa4pk and then you can go to the homepage via the menu bar to join.

We just formed this team a few days ago, and the U.S. Army has only a two day head start, so we can easily beat them. As of this date, there are 5,692 teams ahead of us, but with many HomeBrewers and their family and friends uniting, we can really kick some ass. And remember that this is for a good cause, and that your contribution won't cost you much more than just a few minutes.

Please help spread the word, and thanks for your time and support.

http://home.alltel.net/billvelek is my personal beer-site. Bill Velek

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2005, 01:29 PM   #2
El Pistolero

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by billvelek
This is an appeal to all homebrewers throughout the WORLD to join our "HomeBrewers" Team by donating your computer's spare time for research. This benefits all of mankind (e.g., medical research). Let's show the entire world that "HomeBrewers are a force to be reckoned with!" :-)
Personally, I wouldn't even think about participating in something like this unless you are much more specific about the research that is being conducted...for example United Devices (which currently gets all of my spare computer time) is conducting cancer research.

[/I] Up Next - Hobgoblin
After That - Czech Pilsner
Primary - Humboldt Hop Rod (4/24)
Primary - NOT Wheat AG SNCA (5/5)
Secondary -
Conditioning - SNCA Clone (3/3),

Old 11-26-2005, 02:16 PM   #3
Dragonfly
Recipes 

yo pistolero -

what's the united devices all about?

(sort of) New to the Game

up next:
Kolsch

secondary:
altbier

Keg: empty

Bottled:
maple pumpkin ale
"Straight up" Pale Ale
Java Porter
Smiling Eyes Irish Red
Vanilla Cream Ale

Old 11-26-2005, 02:30 PM   #4
El Pistolero

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly
what's the united devices all about?
UD is a company that supplies a "grid" computing platform for various research projects. Grid computing is where 100's, 1000's, or even millions of PC's are each dolled out a small piece of a calculation in support of a large research project. Just like was mentioned in the original post, people donate the spare time when their computer's are sitting idle to run these programs in the background. United Devices is one of the ealiest player's in grid computing. There platform has been used for several years to perform cancer research, they've also been involved in anthrax research, and SETI is using them now also. You can find out everything you ever wanted to know about them on the grid.org web site.

[/I] Up Next - Hobgoblin
After That - Czech Pilsner
Primary - Humboldt Hop Rod (4/24)
Primary - NOT Wheat AG SNCA (5/5)
Secondary -
Conditioning - SNCA Clone (3/3),

Old 11-26-2005, 04:14 PM   #5
billvelek
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero
Personally, I wouldn't even think about participating in something like this unless you are much more specific about the research that is being conducted...for example United Devices (which currently gets all of my spare computer time) is conducting cancer research.
Understandable, and I wouldn't expect anyone to change from an ongoing project, either. The one I was with "FightAIDS@Home" transferred from one grid program (Entropy) to the World Community Grid; the teams feature never worked property on Entropy, and with the transfer I decided to try to promote this a bit.

But to answer your question, World Community Grid has two medical research programs right now -- the old "FightAIDS@Home project, and the "Human Proteome" Project.

I want to thank you for responding, because it shows the 99% of folks who have never even heard of grid computing that this isn't something new; they are the people I'm trying to recruit -- not folks who are already helping.

Cheers.

Bill Velek

Old 01-27-2009, 08:56 AM   #6
pen25
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

good luck bill. i have 3 pc's going right now with folding@home. though i just may have to fire the old pc back up and hook up to fightaids.

from or living in oklahoma? come join us in the oklahoma group

Old 01-27-2009, 10:25 AM   #7
Loweface
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Holy Thread resurection batman!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chortly View Post
...homebrew contains more satisfactrons per serving, so you don't have to drink as much as you would a commercial beer to get to your satisfactron saturation.

Last edited by Loweface; 01-27-2009 at 10:31 AM.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:15 AM   #8
Madman
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

hehehehehe
Quote:
Originally Posted by shecky
I am an oddly hirsute woman.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:45 PM   #9
BootLeghillbilly32
Recipes 

SUPPORT THE UNITED STATES ARMY! SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!! "ONE OF THEM IS MINE"!!
ARMY STRONG. ARMY DAD!

Our men and women put their lives at risk so you have the ability to brew and sit in front of your pc. Compare that to stats.

Old 05-16-2012, 02:23 AM   #10
bwomp313
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I feel compelled to repost this as it's been over 3 years since it was posted. And plus, it's awesome.

Quick Reply