Homebrewer Personality Research

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Imp_atient

Reaction score
According to what I've read about Internet research ethics...anything that is posted publicly online is reasonable fodder for a study. Which technically means anything posted here could be used in a research study and pass an ethics board without any of us knowing.

I wonder what a qualitative analysis of homebrewer characteristics according to the content of this website would yield.

Any hypotheses?:mug:

I don't know, but i think whatever it showed, it would be quite amusing. Perhaps that hombrewers believe it is inappropriate to restrict the use of a couch on ones porch?

It would be interesting to compare HBT with an unrelated online social group, such as Fark.com's forums (fora??). Just from my own anecdotal experience, I'd guess you'd find higher openness to experience, conscientiousness, extroversion, agreeableness, and no measurable difference in neuroticism(if you're talking OCEAN personality measures). The brewers on here tend to be a pretty altruistic crowd who are really detail oriented and willing to help out others. I'd be interested to know if you do go ahead with a research project.

hell yes were opinionized, and proud of it. haven't had one satisfing argument in quite a few posts. but whose to say what you find on the internet is really what the person is like? i mean humans naturally take on at least subtle characteristics depending on the people there presently interacting with. i do, i have probably 40 sub-personalities that are in play anytime im surfing on my keyboard. for the record: my hbt persona is a mix of #s 1,3,4, and 9-13.

Just about everybody on the Intertubes is opinionated, but I am consistently amazed at how little contention we have here. Carboy vs ale pail cannot compare with the venom that goes into the diesel vs gasser debates on the RV forum. Part of that is rather stringent policing that occurs here, but I've only seen a handful of people that deserved booting in five years. On other forums, you see that many daily.

Just about everybody on the Intertubes is opinionated, but I am consistently amazed at how little contention we have here. Carboy vs ale pail cannot compare with the venom that goes into the diesel vs gasser debates on the RV forum. Part of that is rather stringent policing that occurs here, but I've only seen a handful of people that deserved booting in five years. On other forums, you see that many daily.

I have to agree with this. I came from paintball forums that averaged 20+ bans a day. I think that there is a uncommon maturity to these forums that is not seen very much on the internet. Where that maturity comes from I don't know.

I have to agree with this. I came from paintball forums that averaged 20+ bans a day. I think that there is a uncommon maturity to these forums that is not seen very much on the internet. Where that maturity comes from I don't know.

I came from a Mustang Forum and it almost made me never want to get on one again. After reading the post here, and then posting all my questions from my first brew it was like night and day from the other forum. Y'all rock :mug:

I'm on a site for building your own high-end audio components. The discussions are extremely technical and I only understand about half of them. Like HB, the idea is to learn about the subject, have fun making your own stuff, share with others, maybe save some cash (in DIY audio, you can save HUGE cash).

Aside from a few very helpful people, it's generally a bit harsh on newbies. Ask a basic question and you get "if you don't know that, you shouldn't be building electronics." Kind of frustrating, because often I don't even know what I don't know, though I freely admit it, and end up getting some pedantic holier than thou remark.

We're all pretty damn laid back here, despite some disagreements. You want to see heated? There is a topic with 6,000 posts on whether high quality speaker cables make a difference. It's been going on for months.

They need to RDWHAHB.

I am certain my reply would depend on IF and HOW MANY beers I've had to drink...:drunk: ...oh, sorry, that would be QUANTITATIVE...:D

Ah ha ha, okay I'll geek up (the dorky equivalent of man up)...within the lived experience of being "buzzed" I'm sure that the amount of beer consumed would be one of the many contextual factors involved.

Maybe that's why people are more relaxed on HBT than other forums, because most of us are partially buzzed...but I think it's probably a lot more than that.

If I was to count something to analyze however...it'd have to be that freakin' dancing banana :ban: Honestly, how did that become an emoticon and what does it represent???

You want to see heated? There is a topic with 6,000 posts on whether high quality speaker cables make a difference. It's been going on for months.

They need to RDWHAHB.

I remember seeing a blind study where speakers cables we're tested and the winner was "HD12" which is Home Depot 12 gauge wire :p. Made me laugh. Those hi-fi people are funny.

The worst are the $300+ AC cables. Some people will spend money on anything.

Sorry for the :off:

no matter how much i drunk post, i have yet to be banned off any of the 30 forums i post in?

That's because half the time we can't understand what you're posting.;)

At 5;45 in the morning when I'm waking up and drinking coffee I notice that you've posted in about every thread on here...and I would say that many of your responses are positively cryptic :D

I like to think I've got him beat by being cryptic *and* unintelligble.

That's because half the time we can't understand what you're posting.;)

At 5;45 in the morning when I'm waking up and drinking coffee I notice that you've posted in about every thread on here...and I would say that many of your responses are positively cryptic :D

One thing I've noticed about the quality of interaction here is that (for the most part) any joking or disagreement also seems to be taken in the spirit it was intended... mostly as good-natured ribbing. I've seen several forums in which people post a question or rant about something (which is fine)... and then they're furious if everyone who responds doesn't absolutely agree with their rant in every particular, or they're livid that they get advice doesn't jive with what they were planning to do.

(One has to wonder, "What did you think would happen when you post on a public forum?!!")

I've never met a brewer I didn't like--did Will Rogers hang out with a lot of brewers?-- although I'm sure there are jerk-brewers out there somewhere. But the brewers I know seem to be geeky (<3), smart (<3) and down to earth (<3), which is usually a pretty good combination. Add to that, they usually have good taste in beer and know how to relax, while they're also motivated enough to go to the trouble of brewing. You have to be pretty patient, too. After all, you can't brew up a beer for the evening in the last 15 minutes before you leave for a party.

I'm still a noob on this forum but one of the reasons I actually registered here is because there seems to be a good vibe. The level of good natured ribbing and openness is similar to a fishing website I belong to. I've seen a BUNCH of fishing sites I would never join because the people posting are turds. But, norcalkayakanglers.com is always mellow and has a spirit of sharing.

There also seem to be a number of home brewers among kayak fishermen. I think there is a similarity in personality. Both homebrewing and kayak fishing require a level of commitment, patience, and a desire to do things the hard way. Anybody can go buy a nice beer, but you've got to be certain kind of person to make your own. Likewise, anyone can sit on the shore or motor out to the fishing grounds, but it takes a certain kind of person to want to be responsible for every detail of their fishing experience, including getting there and back all under your own power.

Oh wow, I even got a post from Revvy and other HBT celebrities on this thread.

This is a cause for a dancing banana, now I know what it's here for. :ban:

You know I wrote a rant last night about all homebrewers sharing in an ancient alchemy tradition that's roots go back to the beginning of the earth when little yeasties floated in the air and fermented fruit which eventually monkeys got messed up from eating.

But then I ended up passing out without posting...:tank:

I think that a study of this forum would show how deeply this community has absorbed the mantra: RDWHAHB.

I mean this as a very good thing. I've posted on a number of different forums over the years for other hobbies. The worst was a roleplaying game forum--you couldn't even imagine the venom and lack of social skills. One of the better ones was a boardgaming forum, but that would occasionally erupt into a holy war between those who preferred the German-designed games and those who preferred the American-designed games. By far, Homebrew Talk is the most civil, good-natured, and fun forum that I have taken part in. I think it's all the beer that does it! :mug:

Oh I've got a couple study titles

" 'Just Relax': An exploration of personal homebrew manufacture and consumption and it's influence on mental health"

" 'We only flame the boil': Factors influencing the civility of social interactions within an online homebrewing community"

I thought we already profiled the board? The majority of members have facial hair and way too many hobbies.

I'd be interested in seeing the results of the study ;)

Ale Pale vs Carboy has nothing on some of the electrical arguments that go on. Even then they are remarkably civil. Until I post that is.... :D

This is a very civil and tolerant group. I have stayed away from a Motorcycle Forum due to it becoming a place for showing off what new toys they bought.

sure, we have a Gearslut element here on HBT. But they show you how to make the stuff, not scoff at you for not having one like them.

Not every country has the 21 age restriction for drinking. Some Canadians can be on this forum as early as 18.

It's so strange, I've always lived near a provincial border so if you're at home the age of majority is 19 and if you drive for a couple of hours it's 18.

We used to drive across the Alberta border from BC and load up the trunk of our massive old Buick and then drive back home again. Totally legal....???

Haha yeah just like back home in Toronto, everybody would always go on trips to Montreal and get drunk because of the extra year.

Even where I am now in New Brunswick, people flock to Quebec for two reasons (1) highly reduced beer prices and (2) of course because of the drinking age and proximity.

I'm going to make a note of your posting picture thing there Pivot....um, is that young lady trying a new style of beer tasting where you optimize your perception of bitterness by having the beer reach the back of the tongue first....???

I lived in Ottawa. Cross the bridge into Hull, Quebec and you could buy beer at 18 but you had to be 19 in Ottawa. Despite being fluent in french, because I was only 17, I'd order beer in pidgin french so that they would think I was an 18 year old Ottawa native.

It's so strange, I've always lived near a provincial border so if you're at home the age of majority is 19 and if you drive for a couple of hours it's 18.

We used to drive across the Alberta border from BC and load up the trunk of our massive old Buick and then drive back home again. Totally legal....???

No - you are not supposed to bring alcohol across provincial borders. But I really don't feel like digging through the legalese to prove it.

Oh my sweet Lord, after drink 4 liters of homebrew and watching The National on CBC....I was horrified but yet mildly amused to see Picobrew's video definition of the dancing banana and it's purpose....

I think this calls for a peanut butter and banana beer recipe. Any takers????

I have no clue but I think the oils would screw it up....have to be some sort of backdoor route like "Rogue" Hazelnut Brown Nectar....it tastes nutty but is there really nuts in it???

I thought we already profiled the board? The majority of members have facial hair and way too many hobbies.

I'd be interested in seeing the results of the study ;)

Ale Pale vs Carboy has nothing on some of the electrical arguments that go on. Even then they are remarkably civil. Until I post that is.... :D

The date of my first post on here, and the onset of semi-permanent facial hair coincide almost perfectly.... probably has more to do with being on parental leave, and not having to shave happening at the same time as having more time to read/brew.

Back