Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Homebrewer friendly pros

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2012, 01:33 AM   #11
mforsman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Kelso here in New York (they are in Brooklyn) doesn't release their recipes, but I've shared a few beers with one of their brewers in a brew shop here. Everyone I've met from there continues to be a great resource and helpful in all of my adventures.

Homebrew Site: forsmanbrewing.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 02:11 AM   #12
pernox
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Smuttynose has critiqued a couple of my clone recipes, and in one case sent me a scaled down homebrew version of one of their beers.

As such, I make sure to buy something from their brewery just about every time I buy commercial beer.

"God forbid we should ever be twenty years without such a rebellion.... And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms.... The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson, in letter to William S. Smith, 1787

Old 11-22-2012, 10:01 AM   #13
snaps10
Recipes 

Liked 171 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Tioga-Sequoia in Fresno is super cool an supportive. They always humor my annoying questions (I'm in the nano planning stage) and have been more than happy to drink my beer and give me honest feedback, as well as bring some of their pilots to me to have me do the same. They are very open to the local homebrew clubs, holding meetings and tastings at the brewery.

Old 11-22-2012, 12:03 PM   #14
fenners
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Jester King, here in Austin, are very supportive of homebrewers too - it's how they got started. They're happy to fully share recipes, they've kept barrels on site for the local club on site etc.

Old 11-22-2012, 02:17 PM   #15
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 358 Times on 294 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Flying Fish in NJ is homebrew friendly. I have emailed them a couple of time with questions and they respnded quickly. Alo I went on a tour and they said they will give yeast to homebrewers.

Old 11-22-2012, 05:30 PM   #16
TrubDog
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

My wife and I go visit a cool little brewpub up in the North Cascades called Birdsview Brewing Co. Last time we were there my wife was drinking some of their Ditsy Blonde and she really liked it. I asked the owner/brewmaster if he would share anything about the recipe. He said "I'll be right back". Five minutes later he returned with a Beersmith printout of the recipe. He scaled it down from 200 gallons to 5.

They have a great thing going and would pretty much do anything for anybody. My kind of place! We love to go there and take friends.

Old 11-22-2012, 07:10 PM   #17
TheJasonT
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Barley Mow Brewing in Largo, FL is definitely homebrewer friendly. The local HBC met there and the owner gave a brief lesson and invited all questions. He tastes our beers and offered critique, and said that he would invite a select few experienced brewers to brew with him if they wanted to start at 3am one day. Very supportive!

Old 11-22-2012, 07:29 PM   #18
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2148 Times on 1454 Posts
Likes Given: 2110

I was thinking macro-craft when I started this thread, but I'm pretty sure I win in the most helpful local brewery department. My local brewery is Depot Street, in Jonesborough, TN. I'm sure you guys have all heard of it. The brewer showed that homebrewing is pretty darn simple even though I'd been afraid of it for years and the owner has offered to weld my valves and such into my keggles for me. Can't beat that with a stick!

Brew as I say, not as I brew.

Old 11-23-2012, 12:28 AM   #19
Scubajay
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default most helpful

Dan at Mother Earth In Vista is the best. He gives me information on all of his recipes. He has also helped me formulate recipes of my own. I describe for him what I am looking for and he creates the recipet in beersmith. He hit it out of the park on an American stout that he created for me about 2 months ago. Ill be brewing a double batch of it this weekend

Old 11-23-2012, 12:38 AM   #20
Demon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesfan View Post
I wasn't home brewing at the time, but I always made an effort to stop by Yazoo Brewery in Nashville when the wife and me went to a Titans and/or Predators game with some friends. Linus doesn't know me by name, but I'm sure he would remember my face if I walked in with a couple of growlers. He's a pretty cool guy.
They made me a life long customer a few years ago. We were in town for my bachelor party and stopped by for a tour. The staff was awesome and we enjoyed the tour and conversations after. I decided to grab a couple kegs to bring home for the rehearsal dinner which was a month later. Their policy is that kegs must be returned after 2 weeks. The girl ringing me out called Linus and he said it was fine to keep them longer. Really cool to do that for me. I make it down there every six months or so and always try to stop by the tap room and bring some beer back to Chicago.

Quick Reply