The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Homebrewed Beer in checked luggage on an airplane

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2009, 12:10 AM   #1
cflem18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Homebrewed Beer in checked luggage on an airplane

So I've been trying to research this for some time now. Can you take home brewed been in your carry on luggage on an airplane? I am trying to take some home to my family over the holidays. I had emailed the TSA and they sent me this generic back:
Thank you for your email message.

TSA has published guidelines to help passengers traveling with alcohol through the airport security screening process.

Many alcoholic beverages are considered hazardous materials and are regulated by title 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations, parts 171 and 175.10. Passengers are prohibited from taking alcoholic beverages with more than 70 percent alcohol content (higher than140 proof), including 95 percent grain alcohol and 150-proof rum, in checked luggage or in carry-on luggage. To view the complete regulations for hazardous materials, travelers may visit the U.S. Department of Transportation website at www.myregs.com/dotrspa.

Only retail-packaged alcoholic beverages that contain up to 70 percent alcohol content (140 proof) are allowed as checked and carry-on items. There is a limit of 5 liters per passenger of beverages with between 24 and 70 percent alcohol content. There is no limit for beverages with less than 24 percent alcohol because they are not subject to hazardous materials regulations.

Additionally, travelers should remember there are restrictions on the size of containers they may carry through security checkpoints which apply to containers of alcoholic beverages. Travelers may only carry liquids, gels, and aerosols in containers that hold 3 ounces or less, and these must fit in a quart-size, sealable, transparent plastic bag.

Liquids, including alcoholic beverages, purchased after clearing the security checkpoint can be carried onboard aircrafts in containers larger than 3 ounces if they meet the alcohol content and 5-liter limit requirements. However, passengers who leave the secure area of an airport and must be rescreened will not be permitted to bring the beverage onboard if it does not meet the container size restrictions. Before purchasing alcoholic beverages in a secured area, passengers with connecting flights should be certain they will not need to be rescreened before they reach their final destination.

For future reference, it may be helpful to know that a Transportation Security Officer or Law Enforcement Officer may allow a passenger to make other arrangements for a restricted item. The options include placing the item in checked baggage; making other arrangements for the item, such as taking it to the car, leaving it with a non-traveling person, or mailing it home; or withdrawing the item from the screening checkpoint. There are no provisions for returning a restricted item if a passenger chooses to leave it at the checkpoint.

Regarding any concerns you may have about duty-free liquids, passengers who fly into the United States and then have a connecting flight must conform to the standards and policies for liquids and gels established by TSA for domestic departures, even when the domestic departure follows international travel. This means that although liquid duty-free purchases can meet U.S. requirements for entry - in a tamper-evident bag that meets U.S. standards - these liquids are only allowed as carry-on to your first stop in the United States. Once cleared through Customs and Border Patrol, these liquids must be placed in checked baggage upon arrival in the United States and before departure on connecting flights. TSA advises travelers returning from international flights to a connecting flight in the United States to use their time in customs to place any duty-free liquid items in their checked bags.

I'm thinking if I take bottles that I didn't remove the labels from will be good to go. Any input or experience will be helpful, I'm probably going to end up making a phone call to the TSA anyway.

Thanks,
Chris

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2009, 12:46 AM   #2
JMSetzler
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I don't think i'd trust any baggage handler or airport baggage systems with homebrew in my luggage. I'd ship the stuff out ahead of time. That will give the sediment a chance to re-settle as well... it's gonna get stirred up quite a bit in a luggage journey...

Old 12-08-2009, 12:52 AM   #3
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Before this liquid crap happened I came back from Germany with 2 - 5 liter kegs of German beer in my checked baggage, 1 in my backpack and 1 in a carry-on bag...not one problem at any check point.

Old 12-08-2009, 12:57 AM   #4
TheBeerNerd
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I once flew with 9 12 ounce bottles and a growler in my carry on.... post 9/11, pre liquid ban. TSA folks looked at me a bit strange, but let me through regardless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtotten View Post
After reviewing that, I'm confident that stir plates are the way to go! Although I'd still like to find a way to use sex toys in brewing.

Old 12-08-2009, 12:59 AM   #5
DRoyLenz
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cflem18 View Post
So I've been trying to research this for some time now. Can you take home brewed been in your carry on luggage on an airplane? I am trying to take some home to my family over the holidays. I had emailed the TSA and they sent me this generic back:[/B]
Based on this, I can say they will not let you do it, unless you're talking about 3 oz or less containers for your brew. If you wanted to check it, thats a different situation. If I were you, (and I was in this situation awhile back) ship it. A lot less of a concern.

Old 12-08-2009, 01:00 AM   #6
chumprock
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Brought 15 beers back from UK, in a shipping box last flight, no problem.

Edit - Oh, and I brought US beers over there in the same box, including hombrew and cider...

Old 12-08-2009, 01:00 AM   #7
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 2698 Posts
Likes Given: 111

I used to travel with checked beer all the time. I traveled weekly for work visiting brewpubs bringing back bottles and growlers. Never a problem once for over a year. Wrap them in your close as you pack you suitcase.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 12-08-2009, 01:08 AM   #8
StunnedMonkey
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I think the key restriction here is "retail packaging." They won't have any way to verify what's in a generic unmarked bottle containing a mysterious fluid. I'd say don't try it unless you're willing to risk losing it at the checkpoint. Ship it out ahead of time to be safe.

Tap 4:Old Ale
Tap 5:IPA

Old 12-08-2009, 01:28 AM   #9
A4J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I've taken homebrew in my checked luggage on several occasions, traveling domestically and internationally without any problems whatsoever.

My mid-century modern keezer build thread.

Old 12-08-2009, 01:29 AM   #10
moti_mo
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StunnedMonkey View Post
I think the key restriction here is "retail packaging." They won't have any way to verify what's in a generic unmarked bottle containing a mysterious fluid. I'd say don't try it unless you're willing to risk losing it at the checkpoint. Ship it out ahead of time to be safe.
The OP's original idea of packing homebrew bottles into his checked luggage where the original label hasn't been removed works just fine to get around this. With commercial labels still on the beer bottles, there's no reason for anyone checking the luggage to think they're anything but those commercial beers. They can do the necessary checks to make sure the liquid inside isn't a potential risk, like checking the outside for traces of flammable liquids, fuels, liquids known to be used in explosives like nitroglycerin, etc.

I've flown with homebrew in commercially marked bottles in my checked luggage recently and had no problems.

Quick Reply