The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Homebrew and a Wedding.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2011, 03:06 AM   #1
tlazaroff
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Homebrew and a Wedding.

So, my brother is getting married.
I have been elected to serve homebrew at the wedding. Here are my thoughts:
1) Brew a sturdy 'Wedding Brew' to be given out to guests, 2 bottles each, probably corked. Something that will last a long time, Barley wine, maybe a Tripel, or a Strong Ale. This will not be drunk at the wedding.
2) Have about 3 lower ABV 4-5% range to serve at the wedding on tap. Various popular styles. Maybe a weizen of some sort, an APA, and a brown ale.

I haven't done anything like this and I currently have no experience with kegging. I am looking for suggestions as to whether or not this is a good idea, what would you do? What kind of equipment would I need (though, I could probably figure that one out)? Or any other tips you could give me to pull this off.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2011, 03:16 AM   #2
SPR-GRN
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I'm doing something similar, except it's at the bachelor party (I'm actually doing it for two bachelor parties).
I decided to just brew a whole heck of a lot of one beer I know everyone would enjoy (my dirty blonde ale) and nix the fancy or difficult stuff that won't have mass appeal. I'm serving it in bottles, and everybody who comes gets a commerative pair of etched pint glasses with the bride and grooms names and the date of the wedding on them.
Good luck with your idea though.

Primary: "air"
Secondary: "Not a Chardonnay" white, Cabernet Franc, Malbec
On Tap: Blonde, Brown, Cider, Marzen
Bottles: King Czar Stout, Wee Heavy Scotch Ale, Christmas Lager, 2 buck chuck wine
Aging: RIP RIP Stout (Rest In Peace Russian Imperial Stout)
Next batch(es): Cider, dirty blonde

Updated: 6-17-2014

Old 07-26-2011, 03:38 AM   #3
mainah
Recipes 

If you want to show up the bride, wedding party, and the band...
Keg the brews, put it in a trash can keezer found here in the forums, and enjoy the party.

Old 07-26-2011, 03:45 AM   #4
bigbeergeek
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 79

I brewed three beers for my wedding: a dunkelweizn, a IIPA and a tripel. All the BMC drinkers loved "the light one," AKA the tripel. I highly recommed a nice cheap blonde ale to satisfy all the BMC lovers. Light in color, easy on the alcohol (and inexpensive to brew as well). I wouldn't send guests home with a barley wine or something strong. People aren't going to age them properly and probably wouldn't appreciate them in 4 years anyway. Send them off with something "romantic" like a chocolate beer or something. Something that sounds "neat" and appetizing to the novice beer drinker. If it's a warm weather wedding, I'd definitely go with a wheat/wit of some kind, although a weizen might (again) be a little challenging for the uninitiated. Maybe not, who knows!

Definitely make the jump to kegging for this one. No way you want to fill 500 bottles for the reception/gifts! Good luck and keep us posted!

"Good people drink good beer." -HST

Old 07-26-2011, 03:53 AM   #5
jbsg02
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Kinda off topic, but if I ever get married, the first wedding plans I make will be what to brew. That's when you know you're addicted to homebrew

Old 07-26-2011, 04:29 AM   #6
HOPCousin
Recipes 

I've done some beers for our family grad parties etc... A light wheat is a great way to go. People go nuts for a light witbier. If you can't get the kegging thing together consider bottling in Growlers for serving your guests. Have fun

Old 07-26-2011, 05:06 AM   #7
fifelee

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I have done three weddings and a family reunion. All were hits. Make a label. It creates a great convertsation piece.
Only did 5gal for the weddings and wished I did more each time. Did 25gal for the reunion. 10 in bottles and 15 in keg. That was about right for a two day event and 90 moderate drinkers.

The bottled beers were ment as a take home gift, but I bet 75% were opened. Most people don't get the concept of aging beer.

Old 07-26-2011, 05:55 AM   #8
bovineblitz
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPR-GRN View Post
I'm doing something similar, except it's at the bachelor party (I'm actually doing it for two bachelor parties).
I decided to just brew a whole heck of a lot of one beer I know everyone would enjoy (my dirty blonde ale) and nix the fancy or difficult stuff that won't have mass appeal. I'm serving it in bottles, and everybody who comes gets a commerative pair of etched pint glasses with the bride and grooms names and the date of the wedding on them.
Good luck with your idea though.
I did the same for a bachelor party even though most of the guys are craft beer drinkers. I figured we'd be drinking so much that a lighter session beer would be smart. Worked out well.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:00 AM   #9
Thehopguy
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I agree with the others, you can't give just anybody a bottle and except them to properly age them the way you would. They will be drank prematurely and be unappreciated. Brew more of a general light beer for the masses, and a smaller amount of something special for you and other "sophisticated" palates. But no matter what you do, good luck, sounds like you've taken on quite a task.

On Deck: Double IPA, GTBT V3
Primary: GTBT APA
Bottled: GTBT V2, GTBT V1, Black IPA, Centennial IPA, Pumpkin Ale, Badboy IPA, Simarillo APA

Old 07-26-2011, 06:07 AM   #10
beerandloathinginaustin
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 372

Brew the 'Wedding Brew' and split/give half to your brother (if he's into beer). Then make an announcement that there is some BW that needs to be aged for the fine beer lovers out there. Tell them to come talk to you. You'll make a lot less, hand out a lot less, spend a lot less, and be more appreciated for your efforts.

www.BJCPhero.com - Certified Cicerone and Lead Cellarman for Refuge Brewery. Trying to win an award in all 23 BJCP beer categories (7 down so far with 19 awards) & taking Brett excursions along the way.

Quick Reply