Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Homebrew vs Brew On Premises

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2012, 11:08 AM   #1
Joppy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Homebrew vs Brew On Premises

Hello All,
I just recently completed a batch of Festabrew Pale Ale at home, dry hopped with 2 oz cascades. I also made a batch at the BOP and the homebrew was much better, and only got better with time as it aged. Both batches were stored at about 54F, 12 C after bottle fermentation was complete (for the homebrew) and the BOP batch was filtered / carbonated then stored at 54F, 12 C.

The BOP batch became sour, and some cloudiness developed. Is this a sure sign of infection? The owner claimed that since it was a natural product, it had to be stored near refrigerated temperatures (40F, 4C). I am skeptical, but I thought I'd ask here to see if anyone had a similar experience. I just bottled another batch of Red Ale at the BOP and I don't want it to spoil if I store it at the wrong temperature.

Thanks for any help / guidance on this. If it does require lower temps, I'll have to resort to home brewing only.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2012, 11:26 AM   #2
MisterTipsy
Recipes 

Liked 222 Times on 145 Posts
Likes Given: 25

-you can store at room temp while conditioning
-your sour beer was probably infected
-brew at home > brew on premises

Old 07-06-2012, 11:37 AM   #3
CBelli
Beer Lover
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 30

The BOP guy is full of crap....
Infection is not the end result of a 'natural product' and you can condition in the bottle at room temp for months without ill effect...
I have found that my long term bottled home brew developed a 'sherry like' flavor as a result of oxidation.. but never souring.

Infection is the result of poor sanitary conditions. I would avoid his place and continue to brew at home.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:15 PM   #4
DonMagee
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I keep all my homebrew in my basement, which is in the low 60's (when it's not in the fridge awaiting me to drink it). I've had beers sit as long as 6 months and tasted fine.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:31 PM   #5
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2022 Times on 1454 Posts
Likes Given: 1108

Why even do BOP when you can homebrew? Anything they can do, you can do better. You can do anything better than they.

Yes you can, yes you can, yes you can!

Old 07-06-2012, 12:33 PM   #6
MMJfan
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMagee View Post
I keep all my homebrew in my basement, which is in the low 60's (when it's not in the fridge awaiting me to drink it). I've had beers sit as long as 6 months and tasted fine.
This. I did several batches of BOP before I got into homebrewing and I always stored my BOP bottles in my basement (fruit cellar) to store them when they were not in my fridge and I never had a problem.

That said, since I started brewing at home, I would never go back to BOP...

Old 07-06-2012, 01:02 PM   #7
Joppy
Recipes 

Thanks Everyone, you confirmed my thoughts as well. I liked the idea of having portable brew for the summer months vs worrying about stirring up the yeast in my homebrew, so I threw a couple batches on at BOP. I'll stick to homebrewing, much better flavour with predictable results. I still wonder why, with good quality equipment & care, the BOP cannot rival homebrew with the added convenience of filtered beer?

Old 07-06-2012, 01:23 PM   #8
ktblunden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 250 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joppy View Post
Thanks Everyone, you confirmed my thoughts as well. I liked the idea of having portable brew for the summer months vs worrying about stirring up the yeast in my homebrew, so I threw a couple batches on at BOP. I'll stick to homebrewing, much better flavour with predictable results. I still wonder why, with good quality equipment & care, the BOP cannot rival homebrew with the added convenience of filtered beer?
Sanitation is everything when it comes to brewing beer. You could have the most sophisticated equipment available and still turn out crappy beer if your sanitation practices aren't adequate. The fact that your BOP beer soured and that the owner responded by saying it's a natural product says to me he either doesn't know what he's doing, doesn't care, or both. I would stop going there entirely.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:37 PM   #9
DonMagee
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joppy View Post
Have you thought about kegging and force carbing, then bottling from the keg?

I'm building a keezer for kegging, I figure that when I need to take beer 'to go' I can either fill a growler or use a BMBF to fill up bottles for longer outings.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:40 PM   #10
Joppy
Recipes 

I have thought about it, I'm contemplating a similar setup instead of bottling the homebrew. I did not think of using growlers to transport though, that is a good idea. I just need to make some space for the setup and convince my wife. I'm hoping in a couple years I'll have a two or three tap setup in what is currently our spa room.

Quick Reply