Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > homebrew taste........(where does it come from!)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2012, 02:24 AM   #121
Horseballs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmohno View Post
I think so,so many interpetations can be misinterpetated. Homebrew taste seems to me maybe they are interperting more bottle conditioned yeast style.Could even be the 'green'? To me,it seems just the yeast. I wouldnt even single out the local municipal water supply.
I don't know about that. I went to a homebrew tasting put on by a local store and most of the beers offered were kit beers from brewers best and from the store and virtually all of them had something about them that to me just screamed amateur. Improper temperature control, bad pitching rates, bad sanitation... I don't know. What I do know is that they all had a muddied taste, muted hop flavors and where generally just pretty "meh."

On the other hand there was one guy who had a phenomenal tripel. I find with my own beers they don't really broadcast "homebrew" to me like those ones at the tasting. To me they seem to taste like mediocre to blah commerical beers and a couple that have been damn good. I suspect that generally the homebrew taste vs the not homebrew taste is a matter of experience and technique of the brewer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2012, 02:36 AM   #122
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseballs View Post
I don't know about that. I went to a homebrew tasting put on by a local store and most of the beers offered were kit beers from brewers best and from the store and virtually all of them had something about them that to me just screamed amateur. Improper temperature control, bad pitching rates, bad sanitation... I don't know. What I do know is that they all had a muddied taste, muted hop flavors and where generally just pretty "meh."

On the other hand there was one guy who had a phenomenal tripel. I find with my own beers they don't really broadcast "homebrew" to me like those ones at the tasting. To me they seem to taste like mediocre to blah commerical beers and a couple that have been damn good. I suspect that generally the homebrew taste vs the not homebrew taste is a matter of experience and technique of the brewer.
Well yeah,green,off,amature,shure.Not alot of commercial beers put out those.Thats usually why commercial are bottled and sold widely because they are somewhat good. Although shure there are mediocre ones as well.There wouldnt be good if there were not bad. Maybe it should be known more as amature homebrew taste rather than "homebrew taste"

Old 07-31-2012, 02:55 AM   #123
OldWorld
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

I get a lot of "homebrew taste" from hot fermentations...lots IPA's have bubble gum fruity esters as opposed to clean flavors from the hops. I also constantly get stupid homebrew flavors from kegging bottled beer directly from the tap. The beer gets oxidized and flat. It tastes lousy.

Most bad homebrew flavors are from lack of bottle conditioning or force carbonating the beer too early. Other than that I can also say I am enjoying my homebrew more than commercially produced beer. I get the homebrew flavor I want...

Most beers the yeast settles and cleans up nice.

Old 08-01-2012, 04:23 PM   #124
SpeedYellow
Recipes 

Liked 103 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I've learned there are a few process mistakes that lead to the kinds of flavors I associate with cheap homebrew:

1) Fermentation temperature wrong for that yeast (esp. hot fermentations);
2) Chlorine in the water because it wasn't filtered or treated;
3) Poor recipe, e.g. malt selection or mineral additions.

Then there are a few things that *may* cause those flavors, but I can't confirm personally:
4) Lack of O2 in cooled wort;
5) Pitching insufficient yeast;
6) Poor temp control during mashing & sparging;
7) Massive hot-side aeration;
8) Myriad other minor process issues.

I've never gotten such off-flavors due to presence of yeast or insufficient aging.

Offhand, a couple commercial examples remind me of cheap homebrew: "Sawtooth Ale" by Left Hand Brewery, and "Somersault" by Flat Tire. You'd expect they'd follow good procedures, so maybe there are ingredients that people associate with cheap homebrew. If I made a beer like either of those, I'd dump it immediately.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:01 PM   #125
verbhertz
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I don't mind Somersault. I drink less than a sixer of it a year though.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:45 PM   #126
WhiteDog87
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedYellow View Post
I've learned there are a few process mistakes that lead to the kinds of flavors I associate with cheap homebrew:

1) Fermentation temperature wrong for that yeast (esp. hot fermentations);
2) Chlorine in the water because it wasn't filtered or treated;
3) Poor recipe, e.g. malt selection or mineral additions.

Then there are a few things that *may* cause those flavors, but I can't confirm personally:
4) Lack of O2 in cooled wort;
5) Pitching insufficient yeast;
6) Poor temp control during mashing & sparging;
7) Massive hot-side aeration;
8) Myriad other minor process issues.

I've never gotten such off-flavors due to presence of yeast or insufficient aging.

Offhand, a couple commercial examples remind me of cheap homebrew: "Sawtooth Ale" by Left Hand Brewery, and "Somersault" by Flat Tire. You'd expect they'd follow good procedures, so maybe there are ingredients that people associate with cheap homebrew. If I made a beer like either of those, I'd dump it immediately.
I agree with these causing an off taste and will add using dry yeast to the list. I know a ton of people will disagree with me about this one but I can pretty much always taste safale

Old 02-11-2013, 07:19 PM   #127
Brewmech
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 12 Posts

I think the homebrew "twang" is mostly from ingredient freshness (lack there of) and oxidation. All of the other common mistakes cause other off flavors that make for terrible beer.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:36 PM   #128
tom_gamer
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteDog87 View Post

I agree with these causing an off taste and will add using dry yeast to the list. I know a ton of people will disagree with me about this one but I can pretty much always taste safale
So not think that the safale taste has more to do that you can taste that yeast than it being an off flavor?

Old 02-12-2013, 03:56 PM   #129
WhiteDog87
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_gamer View Post
So not think that the safale taste has more to do that you can taste that yeast than it being an off flavor?
I just find the taste of safale to be off. Not saying its a product of infection, poor fermentation, staling, oxidation or anything else, I just plain dont like it.
The flavors it produces are not ones I enjoy in a beer.

Old 02-12-2013, 04:34 PM   #130
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 412 Times on 313 Posts
Likes Given: 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteDog87 View Post
I just find the taste of safale to be off. Not saying its a product of infection, poor fermentation, staling, oxidation or anything else, I just plain dont like it.
The flavors it produces are not ones I enjoy in a beer.
But that's personal preference, not necessarily a flaw. I could say the same about many strains of yeast, both dry and liquid.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

People Like This 

Quick Reply