Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Homebrew Stores in Cleveland/Youngstown/Pittsburgh?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2011, 02:17 PM   #1
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4274 Times on 3113 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Default Homebrew Stores in Cleveland/Youngstown/Pittsburgh?

I'm going to be in Youngstown for 6 days, starting next Tuesday. I will only have carry-on luggage (so I can't buy yeast to take home), but I would love to pick up a few odds and ends like 5# of crystal malt.

I know there is a brewstore in Struthers, OH. I believe there is a large one in Akron? I thought I'd go to Akron, to go to a brewpub (any advice on where?), and to a LHBS if one is close by.

Otherwise, a day trip to Pittsburgh or Cleveland would be fun, too. I'll be hanging out with my dad. He'd probably be up for a small day trip.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2011, 02:22 PM   #2
head7l
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The Grape and Granary has gotten some good pub from people I know that have used them. I have no experience personally though.
http://www.thegrape.net/index.htm.

--Sean

Old 09-13-2011, 04:56 PM   #3
redone29
Recipes 

If in Akron I would definitely visit Grape and Granary. Great selection and very knowledgeable staff. Don't know of any brewpubs to visit though. I'll have to ask my father-in-law if he knows of any since he lives up there.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:08 PM   #4
redone29
Recipes 

I had to look it up to remember where it was at but we've also gone to Leeners in Northfield.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:27 PM   #5
GHC007
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

From my experiences, I would say Grape and Granary is the best HB store in Cleveland/Akron. If youre looking to make a day trip though, including BrewPub and LHBS, you have great options in Cleveland. Fatheads Brewing Co, Beer Engine, Brew Kettle & Great Lakes Brewing Co will give you great beer and great food and depending on which you chose you will drive past either Leeners in Northfield or JW Dover in Westlake. Both should have what you're looking for.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:29 PM   #6
smalliewader
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Thirsty Dog in Akron, for a Brewpub. Never been there, but the drafts I've had in PGH from there are tasty. Grape and Granary in Akron is really good for supplies. South Hills Brewing for a PGH brew shop. There's a brew shop in Kent too...can't remember the name, but you'd think they would be pretty good since it's Kent...the home of LD Carlson.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:39 PM   #7
tmains
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I live in Cleveland and travel to Akron/Kent frequently.

Homebrew stores: Grape and Granary in Akron, JwDover in Westlake. Those are the two best around. I'd say they are about equal but I go to JwDover because it's closer and I really like the beer the make in their brewery that's just behind the storefront.

Places to drink in Akron: Hoppin' Frog, Thirsty Dog. Both are great.
Cleveland: Gotta go to Great Lakes Brewing Company, a new place right next to GLBC just opened up called Market Gardens, then there is Happy Dog.

Just a few I could think of right off the top of my head.

Old 09-13-2011, 06:02 PM   #8
aceinthehole
Recipes 

The place in Kent is called Abruzzo's. I've never been there, but my neighbor goes there for his wine making supplies. I call the Grape & Granary my LHBS, and would suggest stopping in there. Its only about 10 minutes from work. Although not a big store square footage wise, they have everything you could need I think. They have a nice looking wine tasting room in the front, but I've never been in there.

Everyone else has already named all the places I could think of. Akron has Thirsty Dog and Hoppin Frog. Cleveland has Great Lakes Brewery and all the other places named. There is a nice marketplace across the street from GLB, called the Westside Market. I think they are only open certain days, but it is a neat place to walk around and see.

Up next:
Primary:
Secondary:
Bottled: Amber Ale (Debut Brew), Pumpkin Ale, Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen

Old 09-13-2011, 06:19 PM   #9
jamboparty
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Another vote for Grape and Granary. Good amount of stuff there.

As others have mentioned... Great Lakes Brewing has some excellent beers and free tours of the brewery if you sign up on their website before going. The tour is only about an hour and includes a 'sampling'... bring quarters! I was just there last week enjoying their Nosferatu and Big Black Smoke. Delicious!

FatHeads is great too, and you can check their current beer menu before going. Also, they have sandwiches as big as your head.

Old 09-13-2011, 06:20 PM   #10
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Grape and Granary in Akron
Abruzzo's in Kent (my LHBS, they are pretty small but can have whatever you want within 2 days, good group of guys)

Thirsty Dog (Akron Brewpub)
The Brew Kettle (Brewpub and Brew on Premise, a huge selection of stuff on draft and some good food as well)

And if you find yourself in the sticks East of Akron (Atwater/Randolph) you and yours are more than welcome to stop by for a homebrew.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Quick Reply