Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Homebrew on a pro system for a fee.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2013, 10:56 PM   #1
chrisgood1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Just found this on the denver post blog. Interesting idea. Would you want to try it?

http://blogs.denverpost.com/beer/201...78/#more-10778

Might be a good idea to see what brewing on a pro system looks like.

If you are going to do something wrong enjoy it.

Days Off Brewing
Enjoy your days off!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2013, 11:06 PM   #2
Yellowirenut
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 9

i think its a great idea. especially if they are in a market with a high number of homebrewers.

This statement made me sad though

Quote:
Factotum will store and serve the beer themselves.
So you can not take it home to serve to friends or enjoy yourself.

Could be some odd law?
Are they covering the tax that the feds bestow on them when the wort enters the fermenter?

Yellow Room brewery ~ why? Because the walls are yellow.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:20 AM   #3
chrisgood1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Im sure there are laws about taking it home but I would hope some free growlers or a 5 gal keg for brewing there would be part of it.

If you are going to do something wrong enjoy it.

Days Off Brewing
Enjoy your days off!

Old 07-09-2013, 03:38 AM   #4
Easterbrook
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I spend $350 to brew a beer. They keep the recipe and the beer (which they sell to customers, apparently). What's in it for me?

Old 07-09-2013, 03:42 AM   #5
Komocabo
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 67 Posts

I'm with EasterBrook. Seems fun, and I can see some learning experience gained, but seems like the brewery is really getting all of the benefits. You pay, do the work, give away a recipe, and don't get anything but an expensive brew day with someone else's equipment.

And on the eighth day he said "Make beer!"

Old 07-09-2013, 12:54 PM   #6
Braufessor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 358 Times on 253 Posts
Likes Given: 278

Seems like it is a good idea if approached more from the "experience how the pros brew" perspective (like people who pay to go to fantasy baseball camps, etc.) You are not really brewing your own beer . . . in the sense that it ends up being "yours." Perhaps the headline is just misleading.

The only real problem I see from this is for the brewery itself - seems like you would be risking the possibility of having a fair number of crappy beers and poorly thought out offerings on tap if you REALLY let the brewer do what they want. There are a lot of brewers out there that throw stuff together and think it will be great..... "we could put 'this' in too" kind of stuff. You would not want to end up with a lot of offerings that were bad or would not sell. In that regard, the owner would have to have a fair amount of "guidance" in formulating the recipe..... and then at a certain point it is not your beer to take home, and it is really not "your" beer from a recipe/formulation stand point either.

But, for those people that always wonder - should I open a brewery, it might be kind of a cool way to dip your toe in. I wonder if they "let" the customer come in and clean for 30-40 hours before and after their one day brewing experience so they can REALLY get a feel for brewing?

Primary: Ordinary Bitter, Bourbon Barrel Imperial Porter
Secondary: Bo-Pils, Sour Cherry Stout,
Future Brews: German Pilsner, Dortmunder, Porter, APA, IPA, British Dark Mild, More...... More....... Beer.......
JohnnyO Likes This 
Old 07-09-2013, 01:20 PM   #7
brokebucket
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 16

My first brewing experience was like this...kinda. I brewed a batch with a buddy at Tombstone Brew pub in Tempe, AZ on one of their small batch kettles. They had a recipe book, we went thru it to find a recipe then brewed it. A couple weeks later, we bottled it and took it home. I remember the cost being around $120 or so.

It was actually a fun time and we made some damn good beer. I also believe we used extract.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:27 PM   #8
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 365 Times on 241 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easterbrook View Post
I spend $350 to brew a beer. They keep the recipe and the beer (which they sell to customers, apparently). What's in it for me?
This...

No thanks.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:30 PM   #9
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1843 Times on 1625 Posts
Likes Given: 1314

I agree that this one sounds like he may be fishing for that homebrewer that has a really good recipe or recipe idea. then seeing as how they retain the rights to it,it's his & not yours. He said he didn't know much about homebrewing. So instead of trying to come up with his own good beers,like others have done,he wants to cut straight to the chase. Dumping experimental batches can get expensive in a hurry.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:49 PM   #10
Braufessor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 358 Times on 253 Posts
Likes Given: 278

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
I agree that this one sounds like he may be fishing for that homebrewer that has a really good recipe or recipe idea. then seeing as how they retain the rights to it,it's his & not yours. He said he didn't know much about homebrewing. So instead of trying to come up with his own good beers,like others have done,he wants to cut straight to the chase. Dumping experimental batches can get expensive in a hurry.
I don't know........ Is there actually an "undiscovered" recipe in existence? I suppose - MAYBE - some kind of real specialty type brew with odd ingredients - but for an actual beer style?

Recipe formation seems like one of the least significant aspects of brewing to me - there are literally thousands of GREAT recipes available for little to nothing - Go buy Brewing Classic Styles, buy the annual zymurgy issue that posts all the NHC winner recipes, Google clone recipes that the brewers themselves contribute to (pliny). I mean, honestly, I can't think of an easier aspect in all of homebrewing than getting a good recipe. If you have brewed 5 batches of beer in your life, and can't find a "good recipe" you are are one (or all) of the following:
A.) Living somewhere in the absence of all forms of technology
B.) Not trying or looking very hard
C.) Not very smart.

You would have to know tremendously little about brewing in order to need random homebrewers to come up with your recipes. At that point - I would question if that person was even capable of recognizing a good beer if they had one.

Sanitation and Process make great beer - recipes...... well.....they are a dime a dozen imho.

I can see this whole thing as a nice little side business/niche though if you were in a big enough market - Pull in an extra couple thousand dollars a month, generate interest in your brewery/brewpub, get people to pay you so that they can then go tell 20 of their friends - "Hey, we all have to go to this place so you can try the beer I helped brew" (and pay for it all over again). Honestly, people pay money all the time for dumber things than spending a day in a professional brewery helping to brew a batch of beer. Could see people giving it to dad for X-mas, anniversary, father's day, etc. If no one bites - you are not really out any money......
Primary: Ordinary Bitter, Bourbon Barrel Imperial Porter
Secondary: Bo-Pils, Sour Cherry Stout,
Future Brews: German Pilsner, Dortmunder, Porter, APA, IPA, British Dark Mild, More...... More....... Beer.......

Quick Reply