Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Homebrew Nightmares

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2011, 11:50 AM   #11
Justibone
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by goiked View Post
OH boy! I have to ring in on this one for sure…lol My friend and I have been home brewing for 19 years or so and we go around and around and the stuff you’re talking about. He the worry wart and I am the guy that says “were a cottage industry not Anheuser – Busch”. He worries about hitting the right mash in temps exactly and getting the chart out to hit the right IBU on our batches. I in turn am always down playing getting it right on and rolling the dice and saying it’s close enough for government work. When making 15 gallons at a time you don’t want to F it up, but you don’t need to lose sleep over it. And yes I know it a science like my pal says, but it’s also a great hobby to relax with! In all the batches we have made the only nightmares we have had are the real things like stuck mashes , holes in our emersion chiller leaking water into our worth, and having one of the kids throwing there snot rag into out fermenting trash can think it was the garbage. Funny thing is they all turned out fine… Enjoy and may all those bad dreams turn into some dam good beer PROST!
Funny thing about that is, I think that you have to be off by at least six IBUs to even notice a difference... someone at a local microbrewery told me that. (I think it might have been the chief brewer's mom -- Sun King is a family operation.)

LOL!
"What did goiked's buddy say when he tried the homebrew?"
"It's (s)not bad!"
LMAO!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2011, 02:15 PM   #12
dillrepair
Recipes 

We were working on a carrot wine... I am usually very good with asepsis but with this carrot wine we had to let the carrot pieces (10 lbs of them... Organic and sweet coreless ) sit for a day to extract the juice with enzyme.... After water and yeast addition everything started ok then things got... Well they got slimy for lack of a better word... The bucket had six gallons at least of free space in it on top of the six gallons of carrots and liquid in the bucket but the fermentation was so slimy that it overflowed all over my kitchen floor with this thick froth. It was obvious that it was infected yet the yeast appeared to still be running it's course.... Had to dump it all in the street. Took a couple gag photos.... One Can be seen here http://i.imgur.com/3wkZq.jpg

Old 11-26-2011, 01:36 PM   #13
drainbamage
Something something danger zone
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 620 Times on 397 Posts
Likes Given: 1114

I've had a handful of good dreams and maybe one or two "Oh crap, I forgot to buy the [yeast/sanitizer/etc.]!" kind of dreams. They were totally unfounded because I hadn't actually bought anything for my next batch yet. Kind of like those dreams where you were late for that algebra test even years after being out of school.

Old 11-26-2011, 02:47 PM   #14
wailingguitar
Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillrepair View Post
We were working on a carrot wine... I am usually very good with asepsis but with this carrot wine we had to let the carrot pieces (10 lbs of them... Organic and sweet coreless ) sit for a day to extract the juice with enzyme.... After water and yeast addition everything started ok then things got... Well they got slimy for lack of a better word... The bucket had six gallons at least of free space in it on top of the six gallons of carrots and liquid in the bucket but the fermentation was so slimy that it overflowed all over my kitchen floor with this thick froth. It was obvious that it was infected yet the yeast appeared to still be running it's course.... Had to dump it all in the street. Took a couple gag photos.... One Can be seen here http://i.imgur.com/3wkZq.jpg
That pic made me LOL

"Why did you.... what was the point of... how drunk were you when you decided this was a good idea?" - DMartin

Old 11-26-2011, 04:50 PM   #15
BrewMU
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've had brewing dreams - no nightmares yet. When I was taking calc I would grab my digital alarm clock early in the morning and try to take the derivative of 3:43 or something, but brewing hasn't stressed me like that.
I did lose a batch of alt to wild yeast recently - that's more of a daymare.

Old 11-28-2011, 04:17 PM   #16
fargo234
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Thee last time I had a dream about homebrewing I ended up making a mash tun the following weekend. As for nightmares? Nope. I drink way too much homebrew to have nightmares.

Old 11-28-2011, 05:59 PM   #17
BamaRooster
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillrepair View Post
Great Pic!

Old 11-29-2011, 07:04 AM   #18
sculpin
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Contrary to what most stressed out new brewers believe, our beer is not like a weak newborn baby, it is actually hardier than most of them think.

Newborn babies are not as weak as most stressed out first time parents think:

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

No, but seriously, it's true, they are not as weak as most first time parents think they are.

Bitching Wife Brewery

Quick Reply