Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Homebrew kit reviews: My experiences.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2012, 01:05 AM   #1
Rexorotten
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Homebrew kit reviews: My experiences.

My first two brews were both kits from Midwest Supplies. My first was Liberty Cream Ale, and my 2nd was Midwest's Autumn Amber ale. The Cream Ale has been in bottles for 6 weeks and the Autumn ale as been in bottles for 4 weeks.
These were both extract kits.

The cream ale really hasn't developed too much since week 3. I was hoping for a bit more. It's still a good, easy drinking beer. I will say it has what I would describe as an slightly odd taste that could be countered with hops. Still good though. 3/5 *. Very satisfied for my very first 5 gallon batch.

I first tried the Autumn Amber Ale 2 weeks after being bottled. I was sort of disappointed as I thought the cream ale was better than the amber ale after two weeks in bottles. However, now after around 4 weeks in the bottle, this beer is terriffic. It's a pretty light-bodied beer, but very well-balanced. It's definitely an easy drinker, and will definitely brew again. I don't really think of it as a beer made for drinking in the Fall, just a well-balanced, easy drinking beer that can be enjoyed anytime. Has just enough bitterness at the end to counter the maltyness. 4/5 *

Feel free to post your reviews of kits, or other recipes that you have tried in this thread!

T

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2012, 02:26 AM   #2
ChrisCorley
Recipes 

Likes Given: 16

The Tripel from the Brooklyn Brew Kit series is what started my homebrewing obsession. It was trash but I didnt know what I was doing. I know order my own modified recipes along with kits from Austin Homebrew Supply. The American IPA, Summer Saison, and American Amber Ale have been huge successes. The Smoked Porter is on deck. I buy from them because I trust their product and selection.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:31 AM   #3
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Liked 319 Times on 239 Posts
Likes Given: 226

I've only done one kit - the Yorkshire square brown ale from Austin Homebrew Supply. This is an excellent English brown ale - honestly one of the best browns I have ever had.

The beer was good at three weeks, but it did have a slight twangy aftertaste (I let my temps get a little high). I dont drink much beer (I give lots away)... now, at four months in, this beer is amazing. I will be really, really sorry when it is all gone.

I cannot recommend this kit enough - but do understand that it's a limited edition yeast.

Fermenting: nothing
Lagering: Swarthy Satyr (traditional bock)
Bottled: Royal Goblin (Hoppy Hobgoblin rendition), Treasure Type "T" (oatmeal toffee stout), Enchantress (big Irish red ale), Frostfire (Oktoberfest), Thundersmoke brown ale

Old 06-01-2012, 03:13 AM   #4
d3track
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 17

The Irish Stout from Midwest turned out really well, I highly recommend. The Lefse blonde is in bottles but not yet ready, that one worries me because it didn't have specialty grains. Northern brewers Chinook IPA is still fermenting, but smells great so I'm excited for that one to be ready.

Old 06-01-2012, 03:49 AM   #5
TarVolon
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

True Brew Porter came out. . . pretty much like a porter. No complaints at all. I'd recommend it to beginners. Although be warned that there's no way in hell you get your FG down to the projected 1.012 with an extract recipe that includes maltodextrin. Try 1.020. At best.

Quick Reply