Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > homebrew & hangovers-the science

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2007, 06:32 PM   #11
paranode
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Alcohol deprives your body of water because it is a diuretic. Replenishing the water and any lost vitamins will go a long way in preventing hangovers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2007, 07:49 PM   #12
McCall St. Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

What I found was that drinking a big glass of water before bed and taking a couple of headache pills (aspirin, aceteminofen, ibuprofen-- it didn't matter which) generally worked wonders.

Old 04-28-2007, 01:58 AM   #13
beerfan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I have always thought that the preservatives in beer helped cause my hangovers. Since I started brewing they have gone away by about 90%. On occasion when I do over indulge my stomach can still go whacky but the headaches are very mild if any.

Old 04-28-2007, 01:58 PM   #14
HenryHill
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

In 'Scent of a Women', Pacino says that dehydration is the root cause of hangovers.

A diuretic will leach away electrolytes (and vitamins) as well as water. Seems gatorade or equivalent and a Centrum or something would be the best preventative/cure.

Stuff I can suggest that YOU do, but then I'm lazy, and just suffer, myself....

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
This is HBT of course. Normal Thread that goes every direction but the one intended. This forum should be scientific proof the beer causes ADD

Old 04-30-2007, 03:17 AM   #15
tubbfan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCall St. Brewer
What I found was that drinking a big glass of water before bed and taking a couple of headache pills (aspirin, aceteminofen, ibuprofen-- it didn't matter which) generally worked wonders.
The problem is that the mixture of certain pain killers and alcohol tend to cause stomach problems. I don't recall which one's they were, but when I was in college I could have told you in a heartbeat. I don't mean taking pain killers when you have a hangover, I mean taking them before you went to bed (or passed out).

Tubbfan

Old 05-01-2007, 01:27 AM   #16
brehm21
Recipes 

I'm a big fan of drinking a LOT of water before sleeping/passing out. That usually causes me to wake up early (by a couple hours usually0 to take a piss, then I pop a few ibuprofen to drop the headache. Usually does wonders.

I also used to be a big fan of the "sweat it out" school of thought. I remember in college, my buddies would literally drag me out of bed to go mt. biking after a night of hard drinking. They thought they could ride faster than me for a change if I was hungover. I'd start out feeling like hell, but a mile or so into a ride, it felt like somebody flipped a switch and I was as good as normal.
Wish I was still in that kind of shape.

Old 05-01-2007, 02:37 AM   #17
blefferd
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 7

i thought the yeast in the bottom of the bottle had alot of vit B in it? i never get hang overs from my homebrew, bubble guts is a diffrent story lol, i dont think my ABV is very high either though, i drank a 12 pack of some porter one night and had a slight buzz and woke up feeling fine, it was hot btw, i also have very little body fat, tall and very very skinny lol so it normally doesnt take much to get me drunk, i also find eating before i start drinking(if im going to get hammerd which is the case sometimes lol) it kinda helps out with the hang over. heck im only 24 so hangeovers dont effect me much anyways lol (unless im drinking whiskey) but beer is no prob!

Beer and Kalashnikov since 2007

Old 05-01-2007, 03:46 AM   #18
Geordiepete

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopleaf
Drink water before bed, maybe even take a multivitamin.. next day go for a jog to sweat out the alcohol and I feel 100%
I'm not gonna start jogging everyday lol

Seriously though, I find starting boozing again before you hangover has a chance to take hold normally works.....

Offence is the best defence as they say

Old 05-01-2007, 04:01 AM   #19
c.n.budz

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts

Gatorade, definitely gatorade. That stuff isn't made for athletes, it's made for drinkers. I also usually drink a few glasses of water before bed, mainly to assure that I wake up in the middle of the night so I can take some advil (avoid acetaminophen, bad for the liver when mixed w/ booze)

But, the most important thing for me is grease. Corned beef hash, a couple eggs over-easy, and some hash browns. Smash that all together, serve w/ toast and coffee and it'll either kill ya or cure ya!!

A little puff of the shrubbery helps too, if ya know what I mean....

Always do sober what you do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway

Old 05-01-2007, 04:22 AM   #20
dibby33

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Ignore the hangover. It does not exist. Power through.

Primary
s : Ginger Beer, Wheat Beer
Secondary :
Empty
Bottled
: all drunk
Drinking : A Lot.
Next Up : Wheat Beer with grainy things

Quick Reply