Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > homebrew & hangovers-the science

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2007, 09:38 AM   #1
photogscott
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default homebrew & hangovers-the science

I pulled out my yellowed and creased copy of Papazian's classic The New Complete Joy of Home Brewing. Those dated 70's photos were amusing but what really struck me was the venerable author's scientific analysis of the hangover and way to help avert the affects of "over consumption"

He really digs deep into such topics as glucose levels, fat metabolism etc. I dont "over consume" so much these days but if in college I had known to eat a B vitamin before passing out and showering immediately upon awakening I might have lifted my GPA a tenth or three.

Anybody out there willing to donate a 22oz'er of barley wine for an uncontrolled experiment??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2007, 11:36 AM   #2
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well the cold shower is BS, but I'd believe the vitamin B. In fact wouldn't it reason that taking vitamin's in general would make you feel better over time, assuming you have a deficiency in that area?

Old 04-27-2007, 11:50 AM   #3
Ó Flannagáin
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts

If I guzzle a couple pints of water before passing out, I'll wake up headache free... then if I eat a full breakfast, eggs, toast, bacon, milk/OJ I'll feel 100% all day.

I don't need a shower, but it can be nice... not a cold one though, that would suck so bad I'd rather have a hangover.

Old 04-27-2007, 12:14 PM   #4
photogscott
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Hey how 'bout a hangover sticky. Might overwhelm the server

Old 04-27-2007, 01:03 PM   #5
Bosh
Recipes 

It also depends a huge amount on the person. I know people who get horrific hangovers from sixpacks, but for some reason I can get into the double didgets and wake up feeling fine despite having very mediocre alcohol tolerance. I think its because I didn't drink that much in college and don't drink a lot very often, keep my liver strong

On deck: Oatmeal Stout
Primary: Bourbon Red Ale
Bottled: Dunkelweizen and Dunkel

Old 04-27-2007, 01:40 PM   #6
98EXL

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

me being hungover has way to many variables to play in....depends on where I'm drinking (one bar I go to is a 'get f'ed up bar) another is very chilled and relaxed, and the other is a social atmosphere. Also depends what I'm drinking, beer, wine, liquor, or all three, who is pouring, it just makes no sense. And then there are days like today, where the weather sucks, and it's depressing, and now I have a headache. Was fine before I realized it wasn't raining earlier.

SO I dunno, but I'm interested in this vitamin B thing....lots of water before bed always helps, and big time. One thing that I have been trying to do is drinking beer-water-beer-water....etc

I'm back!!!

Old 04-27-2007, 03:36 PM   #7
Ol' Grog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It's all based on the purity of the ethanol. The cheaper stuff is less pure and that gives really bad hangovers. Back in WWII at the shipyards, they use to be "hangover" tents. Basically, you'd go there and they give you a shot of B12 and would pick you right up.

Old 04-27-2007, 03:40 PM   #8
Hopleaf

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Drink water before bed, maybe even take a multivitamin.. next day go for a jog to sweat out the alcohol and I feel 100%

* Kolsch
* Apfelwein batch #lots

Old 04-27-2007, 04:19 PM   #9
ColoradoXJ13
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by z987k
but I'd believe the vitamin B. In fact wouldn't it reason that taking vitamin's in general would make you feel better over time, assuming you have a deficiency in that area?

B12 is a cofactor for alcohol dehydrogenase, thus, helps you break down alcohol faster. In my college days I swore by taking B12 before going out (about 300-500% of daily recommended dose), and pounding a couple pints of water before going to sleep....wish I still did that now, still drink as hard, just a lot older and no wiser.

Old 04-27-2007, 04:26 PM   #10
Yeast Infection
Recipes 

takes some activated charcoal with that B12.....the charcoal soaks up all the nasty by products of alcohol oxidation
(mainly acetaldehyde, which is the chemical that causes hangovers). This is basically whats in those hangover pills.

Quick Reply