New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > homebrew give away or sell?

View Poll Results: Is wrong to ask someone to pitch in for drinking your beer
I would give away 99% of my beer for free I do it because I love to make it, not drink it. 44 27.50%
no one else is allowed to drink my beer! I made it, its mine. 6 3.75%
I think once someon has consumed over 25% of the batch, they should help pay to make the next batch 101 63.13%
I'm too dnruk to raed rgiht now. :-) 9 5.63%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2009, 07:22 PM   #1
kunstler
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default homebrew give away or sell?

Ok so I know there are a million and half threads on here of people trying to get around jhonny law, or telling people not to try it, its wrong and gives homebrew a bad name:

But let me ask you this hypothetical question.

Is it wrong to ask someone to "pitch-in" financially towards your brewing escipades if they consume "more than your normal give-away" amounts.

i.e. If you make 5 gallon batches, and someone is constantly coming over and drinking half the keg or going through a case of your bottled beer - would you ask said person to pitch in to your brewing, or just brew more to compensate.

Not saying "lets sell illegally" or anything - nor am I in this position, just curious what the concensus is seeing how there tends to be the relax its only homebrew mentality, but then again doing it to get a superiror product for minimal cost.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2009, 07:24 PM   #2
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2729 Times on 2680 Posts
Likes Given: 99

Hell yes someone drinking half my beer needs to pay. But don't sell them beer. make them buy grain and hops.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 12-02-2009, 07:24 PM   #3
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I would ask someone who consumes 50% of my brew to pay for 50% of my supplies.

I am not selling him beer. He is providing me with supplies and I am making beer for him.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:31 PM   #4
icantbejon
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I haven't even finished my first batch yet, so I certainly don't have this "problem" yet. That being said, if I had a buddy drinking that much of my supplies, I would expect that he compensate me in some shape. He can buy me more stuff or he can give me cash to buy stuff. Other than that, drink up.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:36 PM   #5
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I made about 180 gallons this year. I've given away probably 160. I don't brew to charge people or to recoup costs. I brew because I love it. If it is someone who is constantly over at your house, I would hope they might offer to pitch in for grain or whatever, but I would never ask, I refuse to leave out a tip jar, and honestly I don't even really like taking money for ingredients. Just not my style.

If I couldn't afford to brew it all or if I wanted a batch for myself, I'd keep it away from people who might drink it. But I really don't care.

Now, if someone wants to learn how to brew, I will gladly let them buy ingredients and use my equipment. I might keep 4 bottles for myself, but again, I'm not asking for much out of it. I just like spreading the information and the hobby to people I know will enjoy it.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:46 PM   #6
the_Roqk

Recipes 

If someone is "consuming" around 50% of my homebrew then I'd atleast expect them to pay for half of the ingredients to make the quaffables. But I'd say that it all depends on the arrangement that you've set forth with that person(s). Then on the other hand if I give away my homebrew to someone and receive something like; a sixer of microbrew, or a topped of CO2 tank, or a nice growler or two of brewpub specialties, or welding services, or grain, yeast buys, or help with bottling, or help with brewing, or etc., etc., etc., etc. Then I really don't mind in giving my homebrew away.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:08 PM   #7
Pivot
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

so far I havent made too many batches of beer, but my friends have most definitely drank more of it then I have personally. Right now I dont care all that much, I do offer it to them alot, but if it continues this way for awhile I may have to start asking for money so I can continue to provide them with homebrew. We are all poor college kids, so I dont think its completely fair that I front the bill (and the time and effort) to make them beer on the house.

Primary
Dark Belgian, Hobgoblin Clone

Kegged
Dark Ale

Bottled
Fruit Braggot, EdWort's Apfelwein, Coffee American Stout

Old 12-02-2009, 09:11 PM   #8
Brewing Clamper

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have a little "donation box" on my Kegarator. If someone feels they want to donate, they will. Most of the time I'll find a few coins and a couple of bills after a big party. Once I found 2 $20s in there. That was a good party.

--Omar

4 Ohms Aleworks & Lagers | Twitter | Facebook | Blog |

Old 12-02-2009, 09:26 PM   #9
arturo7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If someone was drinking a significant quantity of my brew on a regular basis I would hand them a shopping list for the LHBS.

Of course, being the nice guy that I am, I would let them choose the style.

Hey, knock that shvt off. We're drinkin' here.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:27 PM   #10
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 124 Posts

If they are buying supplies, you are not selling beer.

And anyone who drinks excessive amounts of your homebrew had best be pitching in for supplies. Some guys seem to think that homebrewing is cost-free.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply