Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Homebrew Food Network Show??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2012, 07:05 PM   #1
Grinnan5150
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Homebrew Food Network Show??

My wife has me addicted to cooking competition shows like Chopped, Top Chef and the like. It got me thinking, why couldn't there be a show about Homebrewing like that? It would have to be taped way in advance to allow for fermentation and bottle conditioning but I would still watch it.

Since beer can be considered a food maybe that's something that Food Network should look into. I nominate myself as one of the contestants.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 07:07 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2768 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

There actually was a homebrewing contest show on Discovery iirc about 2 years ago. I started a thread about it. It turned out one of our members knew one of the guys on the show.

It kinda sucked...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-05-2012, 07:09 PM   #3
Revvy

Recipes 

Found my thread on it.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-05-2012, 07:10 PM   #4
Jay1
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 10

That would convince me to upgrade my cable.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:25 PM   #5
ktblunden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 284 Times on 172 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Unfortunately it doesn't seem like there's any money in the idea. Networks are only interested in shows that get great ratings and judging by Brewmasters (which I really wish had continued) and that History on Tap show (which I can't even find a record of existing beyond Revvy's thread and the site he linked to in it) people just aren't interested in watching shows about craft and home brewing. When the majority drink BMC and are barely even aware that craft breweries exist, it's really hard to get an audience for a TV show.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:30 PM   #6
rifraf
Recipes 

Liked 196 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 61

On top of that, you can watch cooking shows and even competition shows and think "hey I can make that, or at least try", run out to the store and try the next night for dinner. Doing that with beer is much harder.

Also, I find homebrewers tend to be relaxed in general, which does not make for dramatic TV.

(I hope they make a Homebrew show...I'd watch it)

You have to grow old, you don't have to grow up.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:37 PM   #7
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 549 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifraf View Post
Also, I find homebrewers tend to be relaxed in general, which does not make for dramatic TV.
Too true...can you imagine Gordon Ramsay (Hell's Kitchen) in your brewery? Tell that guy to RDWHAHB

Actually, I was showing my 11-year-old cousin all my brewing stuff, and he said, "...so, is this legal? Are you gonna be on that show Moonshiners?" I just about died laughing.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:43 PM   #8
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2350 Times on 1668 Posts
Likes Given: 1318

Yeah, there's never an controversy here!

Old 03-05-2012, 07:44 PM   #9
Revvy

Recipes 

I'm surprised no one's tried it with the Iron Brewer competition.

But the biggest trouble is that as opposed to cooking contests there's no instant gratification in the sense that beers take a long time to compete, as opposed to a dish. You'd have to do the show shot over a long period of time to give each beer a chance to ferment and carb, and be judged. You wouldn't be able to resolve it in one day like shows like chopped or food network challenge. Even a show like masterchef where you have folks eliminated each week would be a challenge to produce.

Plus the act of beer brewing isn't all that excited to watch. Heat water, mash, wait an hour, heat more water, sparge (which could take an hour) boil for an hour, chill.... Just not all that compelling to watch.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:47 PM   #10
weirdboy
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 433 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Yeah plus on a cooking show you can actually prepare a meal in, say, 30 minutes or an hour or whatever. Even the ones where they are doing those complicated sugar sculptures they finish in a day. Whereas with homebrew it takes multiple "sessions" and with fermentation and carbonation you are looking at a few weeks or more.

Also, watching someone brew a beer is not terribly interesting. It mostly involves waiting.

Quick Reply