Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Homebrew facepalms

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2013, 03:58 AM   #1
Thirdthorpe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Homebrew facepalms

So I'm a big believer in learning from mistakes, both your own and from others so I was thinking of starting a thread dedicated to the biggest dumbass moments we've each had while brewing with the idea of others learning from it and for a good chuckle.

I'll start: I just shoved too hard on the cap to my fermenter while trying to put on the airlock and now have a rubber stopper sitting in the bottom of my latest batch of mead.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2013, 05:12 AM   #2
runningweird
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I've melted at least three plastic carboys by putting too hot wort into them.

My 6 Tap Long Draw Tower Build:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/long...-tower-271578/

Jayhem Likes This 
Old 12-19-2013, 05:19 AM   #3
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3227 Times on 3128 Posts
Likes Given: 19

First time I brewed with a keggle, I filled it halfway with cold water to cool it off and start cleaning after the wort had been transferred, and then grabbed it to dump it out. I figured the cold water would have cooled the keggle off enough to be able to handle it, but wasn't thinking that none of that cold water touched the skirt, which is where I grabbed it.

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash
People Like This 
Old 12-19-2013, 05:38 AM   #4
pelipen
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts

Left the ball valve open on a kettle while filling it in the kitchen.

Brewed an entire batch with a broken thermometer

Froze my hydrometer

Old 12-19-2013, 06:21 AM   #5
munro
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Thought I could dry out a sanitized glass carboy by balancing it upside down on the counter (at that point in my life I feared the foam). Knocked it over and it dominoed into my yeast starter and spilt it over my hot oven element. Just caught the carboy before it shattered. Had to used a smackpack of hef yeast I had kicking around in a pale ale.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:49 AM   #6
TANSTAAFB
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Brewed and drank--a lot--at the same time first time I ever brewed....called that one "Dropping the Bucket Belgian." Tasted like nanners. Oh and I got to deep clean the kitchen because wort is sticky as hell and my father in law and I spread it from one end to the other.

Brewed with a pump for the first time with no hop spider, clogged the pump and valves, and had to figure out how to get 10 gallons of wort into carboys at the end of a very long and frustrating brew day.

30° brew days turn into 10° brew days when one gets a late start or decides to brew on a whim and the sun goes down just in time for wort chilling and clean up. My patio became an ice skating rink and I was frozen to the bone, exhausted, and sore from head to toe.

Starter walked off the homemade stirplate and all over my fermentation fridge...no yeast, big mess, 2 hours to lhbs.

Left my bucket of unmilled grain unattended and uncovered for a minute. Discovered my 12 year old chocolate lab REALLY likes grain when I walked around the corner and scared the sh!t out of her because she was shoulder deep in the bucket...no idea how much she ate! I do not leave her unattended near my grain and can't measure grain without locking her up or giving her some "distraction grain" in her bowl. She's like a freakin goat!

Bottled: Grizzly Saison, Grizzly Brett, Session Pale, Colorado Cream Ale, Cranberry Apfelwein
Primary: -37* Blue Balls Baltic Porter, Bad Dog Brown, Bohemian Pilsner
Secondary: Rarely!!!
Future: Cognitive Dissonance Cascadian Dark Ale
People Like This 
Old 12-19-2013, 12:55 PM   #7
Malty_Dog
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelipen View Post
Left the ball valve open on a kettle while filling it in the kitchen.
Did the same thing except it was the spigot on my bottling bucket. Luckily I had a thick towel under it. I was well prepared for my own stupidity.

So many recipes...

Fermenter:
Bottles: Pale Ale, Wee Heavy, ESB, Rare Vos

Old 12-19-2013, 12:59 PM   #8
Renegades_Brew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Kegged up an apple cider. Tasted it after two weeks. Thought it needed some back sweetening...

Made some caramel and added it to some apple juice concentrate. Popped open fully carbed keg and dumped about a gallon of sugar water into the keg... Ended up with about 2 1/2 gallons of sticky cider all over the wood floor in the office area of my condo. Every towel in the place was used to soak that mess up...

And to make things worse... I used to add pixie sticks to mt dew in high school... so I KNEW the effect that adding sugar to carbed up beverages was...

Untapped user name: Renegades_Brew

On Deck: Belgian Saison, 3 different Apple Ciders, Raspberry Skeeter Pee
Primary: NG Wisconsin Belgian Red Clone
Secondary:
Bottled: Spiced Perry, Perry, Jalapeno Wheat, Cherry Wheat (217@12oz and 26@750ml bottles), Imperial Blonde, Skeeter Pee
Kegged: Pumpkin Ale #2

Drank: Grapefruit Wheat, Pumpkin Ale, Whiskey Stout, Cherry Wheat, HopNog, Peach Apple Cider, Caramel Apple Cider, Cinnamon Apple Cider,

People Like This 
Old 12-19-2013, 01:06 PM   #9
WissaBrewGuy
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Removed a keggle mash tun right after doing a step on my burner and brought it inside to keep it warm. The valve was leaking a little so I put the keggle down on my carpet to grab a plastic bag to prevent the leak from staining the carpet. I picked the keggle up and the carpet came with it. I put the keggle down on the plastic bag and looked at the carpet to find a giant burned O where the keggle sat. Looked over and the plastic bag was melted to the bottom of the keggle. You should have put it on a wood board says SWMBO... "Thanks for the 20/20 hindsight."

Success is buried in the garden of failure - Rick Wakeman

People Like This 
Old 12-19-2013, 01:08 PM   #10
Thirdthorpe
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The post about the dog eating the grain made me laugh because I've got a boxer and I can just see his dumb ass hammering some grain.

Quick Reply