Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Homebrew Comp/Public VIP tasting shut down

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2011, 04:43 PM   #1
Baraboo Brew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Homebrew Comp/Public VIP tasting shut down

We are having some legal issues with a homebrew competition tied with a fundraiser for MS and were hoping to get some advice on how to keep this event going into the future. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. You can read about the event and what happened here: http://www.wiscnews.com/baraboonewsrepublic/news/local/article_7f16d998-8d88-11e0-8384-001cc4c03286.html and here: www.brewatthebarn.com

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2011, 04:50 PM   #2
Baldy_Beer_Brewery
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Roger Johnson of the state Department of Revenue-Alcohol and Tobacco Enforcement Unit said it's not legal to hold a competition at a business or any other public place that holds a retail liquor license or permit.
It would seem the best way to have this event would be to have the laws changed. Easier said than done. It is too bad that what the article described as a concerned citizen (busybody) can ruin what otherwise was a harmless event.

Old 06-04-2011, 06:48 PM   #3
Phunhog
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 66

First off I think Jamie Martin needs a little talkin' to!!!

Check out my nanobrewery!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Two...02323289804018

Old 06-04-2011, 06:54 PM   #4
pauljmccain
Recipes 

Who's got Jamie Martin's email? A couple thousand messages in the inbox usually gets a notice.

Old 06-04-2011, 06:55 PM   #5
JetSmooth
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 10

We have a local BBQ festival where there are both vendors and citizens entering the BBQ competition. Contestants may not provide their food to the public, even for free. This is both for health code reasons, and I'm sure to not compete with the vendors. Always made sense to me, even though I'd like to be able to sample their wares.

Laws are laws.

You do get into a difficult area where some of the beers available at a place are taxes and controlled while others aren't. I know there's a bar that has a "homebrewer" night. But they open it up just to the participating homebrewers, and hold it in a private spare separate from where taxed and "public" service occurs.

Bottling the Belgian: A Photo Odyssey

Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. When the beer has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Old 06-05-2011, 02:01 AM   #6
stevea1210
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have no good advice, but want to say I'm sorry. It is a shame that a fundraiser is spoiled by some busy body that has nothing better to do than ruin a good time, and a good fundraiser.

You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel. - Homer Jay Simpson

Old 06-05-2011, 02:25 AM   #7
SwampassJ
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Concerned citizen or concerned competitor?

BLAH BLAH BLAH

Old 06-05-2011, 05:01 AM   #8
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Regardless of the guy who spoke up, you were breaking laws. Find a better way to support charities. I personally cannot believe you tried to sell homebrewed beer at a restaurant. That seems like poor decision making.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:49 AM   #9
monty73741
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

the bar owner is lucky they arent loosing their license. Most states have a three tier system who you can get beer through. the best bet is start talking to your local politicians it probally take years to get passed because the lobbying power of the distributers

Jason Danaher
Drinking a non alcoholic beer is like going down on your cousin...sure it taste the same but it just ain't right!

Old 06-05-2011, 02:31 PM   #10
logan3825
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baraboo Brew View Post
We are having some legal issues with a homebrew competition tied with a fundraiser for MS and were hoping to get some advice on how to keep this event going into the future. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. You can read about the event and what happened here: http://www.wiscnews.com/baraboonewsrepublic/news/local/article_7f16d998-8d88-11e0-8384-001cc4c03286.html and here: www.brewatthebarn.com

Thanks!
Well that sucks. Unfortunately I am pretty sure the law on homebrew in Wisconsin is that you can only brew at your own residence and it cannot be transported outside that residence.

Competitions are illegal. I think the authorities have just been looking the other way. There was recently a problem with a homebrew club down by Racine. There really needs to be a change in legislation.

I have been to the Coffee Bean Connection but never the Barn. I will stop at the Barn now that I know a little more about it. I plan to boycott the Moosejaw now. Not hard as I didn't find their beer all that interesting anyway. There are several much, much better brewpubs in Madison and I am 30 miles from either.

Quick Reply