Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Homebrew Club Activities Ideas

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2012, 02:21 PM   #11
bknifefight
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 37

The 12 Beers of Christmas was something I was going to pitch to the club. But here's the question: Do we just have 12 people do it and each person gets 1/12th of each batch? -or- Does the club pay for the beer ingredients and every member gets 1 bottle from each batch?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 02:56 PM   #12
DrunkleJon
I'm good enough. I'm smart enough. And doggone it, people like me.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 943 Times on 717 Posts
Likes Given: 484

Quote:
Originally Posted by bknifefight View Post
The 12 Beers of Christmas was something I was going to pitch to the club. But here's the question: Do we just have 12 people do it and each person gets 1/12th of each batch? -or- Does the club pay for the beer ingredients and every member gets 1 bottle from each batch?
Dealers choice. This years one sent out 2-3 bottles to each participant.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:26 PM   #13
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

+1 Bylaws
+1 nice-looking, up-to-date website

*Register your club with the AHA and participate in AHA events (Big Brew, Teach a Friend to Homebrew Day)

*Ask your LHBS, local breweries, and bottle shops if you can post a flyer/ad/meeting invitation in their shop

*Start scheduling annual events. My current club does Big Brew, but also does a "Cluster Brew" in the fall, a "Christmas" party in January, and a Brews Cruise in the summer where we rent a charter bus and drive to a handful of breweries, meaderies, and/or cideries. My former club had an annual holiday beer-food match dinner, appetizer/dessert-beer match in the spring, shrimp boil in the fall.

*Consider hosting/sponsoring a BJCP-sanctioned competition. It takes dedication, and a lot of volunteer support. Might wait a couple years before taking this one on.

On-Deck: Quad; Oktoberfest; Mild

Primary: Mosaic pilsner; Saison Americaine; Tripel

Kegged: Fir tip Maibock; Session IPA; Apple cider; Adventures in Homebrewing's Black Prinz Stout

Bottled: Session Saison; Grodziskie; "Clean Out the Freezer" IPA; Belma/Strisselspalt Session Saison; Coffee Saison

Old 12-12-2012, 03:37 PM   #14
Schemy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 87

Also looking at ways to take our club to the next level. We are a splinter group from another club, with the basic thought of focusing on brewing. That's been good so far, but we need to expand membership to bring in fresh ideas and people.

Homebrewers Local 402
www.local402brewers.org
Schemy

ON TAP
Sprockets Sticke Alt
Funk Sirens Brett B Meridian IPA
Jenny Saison
Pale Sight Chinook DH White IPA
Milnahorn Vienna Lager
Sir Ryland Sour Brown
Bucket Bitter Open
Bucket Bitter Closed

Old 12-12-2012, 05:51 PM   #15
Spartan1979
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by bknifefight View Post
I figure 2 bottles from each batch. Assuming a 5 gal batch, you get to keep 1/2 of your own brew and get 22 bottles from others for the other half.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:18 PM   #16
LAjerm
Recipes 

I am the President of the Malt Munching Mash Monsters in Shreveport-Bossier City, Louisiana

We charge members $10 a year, or $15 if they want to include their spouse. For that they get a membership card and also get the right to enter our annual member only club comp.

We save most of our money, we are growing fast and soon we will need to rent a meeting room. But we do spend money on our annual comp,
- supplies for a few of the festivals we attend and serve at (beer pitchers, lables, signs, etc.)
- Club Comp (update our trophy, bread, cups)
- Advertising (cards signs, banners)
- Web site/ forum (www.maltmunchingmashmonsters.com)
- Learn to homebrew day (snacks, beer kit, supplies)
- Big Brew (beer kit)

We generaly do tastings at the meetings, but those supplies are donated. I also agree that a good set of by-laws are needed. Also a good trustworthy Treasurer.

Feel free to email me if you need any additional info/ insights
info@maltmunchingmashmonsters.com

Old 01-24-2013, 07:09 PM   #17
Diaperload
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 8

intra-club contests/challenges.

My club does several of these a year. They aren't mandatory but most participate.

Some of our challenges have been:

Brew any batch you want as long as it has a smoked malt in it.

Brew a Christmas beer. We exchanged them with other participants. Some were bombs and some turned out great.

Club provides the base grain recipe but members choose how its hopped. Each person basically made the same recipe and the only thing that was different were all the hop additions. Was very interesting trying them all side by side.

Grocery store challenge: all ingredients must be purchased at grocery store.

"I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people...I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out."

Old 01-24-2013, 07:38 PM   #18
captwalt
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I always though that a homebrewclub would be greatly educated by a club wide SMaSH brew. Everybody brews a different SMaSH and then everybody gets to try them all. You could do side x side comparisons of the different malts and hops and you could even include extract brewers by limiting them to 1lb of one kind of specialty grain with plain DME.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:38 PM   #19
bknifefight
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 37

We elected officials (I was voted in VP) and started planning a BJCP competition for the fall. SO far things are going really well, even though we are probably jumping the gun on planning so early.

We also did a bulk grain buy from North Country Malts since I have an account. We quickly filled a pallet with over a ton of grain, which was exciting. It should be here today or tomorrow. My wife doesn't know I ordered 300 lbs for myself lol

Old 01-25-2013, 01:51 PM   #20
LAjerm
Recipes 

We do a bulk grain buy every year too. But price it so the club makes about $5/sack.

Quick Reply