Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Homebrew Club

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2009, 02:33 PM   #1
Waterfield
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Homebrew Club

So I started brewing early this summer, and have really gotten...lets say, obsessed with it.

I'm a junior in college and majoring in Chemical Engineering, so, obviously, I took my obsession and started/am starting a club for it.

I've got a good member base, faculty advisor, and backing from the other faculty in charge of getting it set up. But, I was curious about any input for our constitution/bylaws. It's going to be an all inclusive club, not just a 21+ club. We can focus on the techniques behind creation rather than drinking, not that we won't drink of course.

We'll have to organize it so that 21+ members of the club taste and we can hold info sessions and such.

Any ideas?

Currently a lack of cash flow has affected me and caused a lack of beer flow in turn. Damn.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2009, 02:51 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 949 Times on 633 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I would suggest setting up sub groups and keep the drinking/tasting and the theory/social activities separate. You don't want to get into a situation of supporting underage drinking.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 09-08-2009, 03:33 PM   #3
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Our homebrew club involves drinking copious amounts of homebrew in a very short time after 10 minutes of random gossip and "hellos".

More information about brewing can happen when good and loaded. Talk comes freely and shy people open up.

Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at a nice controlled 85 degrees (up from 70) as it should be - weird isn't it.

Old 09-10-2009, 01:19 PM   #4
Waterfield
Recipes 

I've got a basic constitution done. it focuses on the education aspect of it and allows for underage members to be present but not participate in tasting etc.

We'll see if it flies...

Currently a lack of cash flow has affected me and caused a lack of beer flow in turn. Damn.

Old 09-10-2009, 01:28 PM   #5
JKoravos
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It'll probably be fine unless it becomes really popular and powerful people start catching wind of it. Eventually someone within the university who has the power to shut it down and has a stick up their ass will come knocking. So, just be careful, I guess.

BTW, ChemE is a great education for a brewer . 10 years ago, I was in the same place you are now. Except, instead of starting a club, I got a job at the LHBS.

Old 09-10-2009, 01:37 PM   #6
Waterfield
Recipes 

I'd kill for that opportunity, but just my luck, there's nothing here. Well, nothing but a weird converted house that sells mostly used books and herbs along with a few mr. beer kits. My LHBS is back home, 10hrs away.

I did on the other hand apply for a few jobs at breweries for the summer, with any luck one of those'll turn out for me.

Quick Reply