The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > is homebrew better than commercial beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2008, 01:01 PM   #11
tnlandsailor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

My beer preferences are pretty tame in comparison to many. But I will say that when you pick up a fine commercial example of a classic style - you will be hard pressed to duplicate it at home. A few examples really stand out to me - the first is Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. This beer is very delicately balanced with subtleties that really make it a fine example of APA. Most homebrew versions are over the top with hops. SNPA is a 58 degree lob wedge while most homebrew is a baseball bat. The second example is virtually any beer from Fullers. The English beers are a lesson in complex malt flavors that virtually escape any effort, at least on my part, to duplicate them. If you can find a good bottle of 2005 Vintage Ale, you will experience one of the most delicate and complex beers you can buy commercially. If I could do half of what Fuller's does, I would die a happy brewer. The last example, don't laugh, is Budweiser. There are about a dozen homebrewers in the nation that can successfully pull off a style like this. It's near impossible. Now, most people don't want to brew like this - and that's fine, but if I paid you money, I'll bet you couldn't do it. There are NO flaws in this beer. None. There is nowhere to hide in this beer. If it isn't perfect, it will be horrifyingly obvious. It's brewed for the masses, but that doesn't mean is isn't hard to do.

If you think you are close to your favorite style - the true test is a side by side taste test. I have failed this test many times (actually, almost every time), even with beers that I was very proud of - but that's why the commercial guys get paid. They are good - some much better than others, but for the most part, they are good. Do they brew swill occasionally? Oh yeah, big time. Luckily, those aren't the beers I'm after.

As a brewer, I think it's fun to use the great commercial beers as a guide to improve my brewing because brewing is fun and I enjoy the process. It also keeps you humble. That's important too. I have two fridges in my beer room, one is packed with my efforts, the other with commercial beer. Whenever I feel cocky, I'll open my favorite commercial beer for a good dose of reality, then try again.

Prosit!

Prosit!

Hands-On Brewing

Dennis Collins
Knoxville, TN
Innovative Homebrew Solutions
Home of the Hop Stopper!
www.ihomebrewsolutions.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2008, 02:32 PM   #12
Hoosierbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

For me, I love to brew and I think it tastes great. Most of the time, I try and brew stuff that would cost me a lot more for the same amount of beer. If I wanted something like Budweiser, I would just buy it. I cannot make it any cheaper and I would probably mess it up.

I used to brew more and am now getting back into it. Many of the beers I like are close to $9 a six pack here. If I can create something similiar, then it will be cheaper for me. My neighbors all drink BMC, but that just means I do not have to share with them. SWMBO and I get to drink most of it.

Homebrewing also expanded my beer horizons. I can't say that I would have tried a barleywine before I started homebrewing. I may not have tried 90 minute IPA either. That is one of my favorite hoppy beers now. Prior to Homebrewing, I drank many different styles, but not like now. If I go to an area on a trip, I look for local brewpubs or local brewed beers to try.

Primary: IPA
Secondary: empty
Keg 1: American Wheat
Keg2: German Ale
Next up: Christmas Old Ale, American Wheat AG, need suggestions

Old 06-23-2008, 02:55 PM   #13
Brewmasters Warehouse
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I think good beer is good beer no matter the source or style. I prefer to drink good beer, and I do not care the source of the beer. I enjoy brewing beer and I like the beers that I brew. Overall I drink more homebrew than commercial, but I always love trying new beers.

Purchase a recipe with Brew Builder and save 10% off the recipe. Use discount code: BBBYO

Become a fan of BMW on Facebook.

Old 06-23-2008, 04:10 PM   #14
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I would take a guess that for every batch I make that I'm really proud of, there are probably 20 commercial versions that would kill it. I don't care at all. I'm even happy to make beers that are absolutely subpar to their commercial equivelents becuase I'm into it 50% for the hobby itself and 50% for the beer.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 06-23-2008, 04:17 PM   #15
blacklab

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'd say I've only made 2-3 that are even in the territory of a decent commercial microbrew.
For me it's more about having fun experimenting with ingredients and sharing the results with my friends and family. To me the 'I made it myself' factor makes it taste great every time.

Old 06-23-2008, 08:04 PM   #16
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

Definitely worth it. I make clone brews I can't get locally and have my own recipes that aren't available period. That doesn't stop me from hitting various brewpubs, because there are beers I like but don't want a lot of. I would never make a Belgian Wit, for example, much as I like one now & then. Then there are craft beers that are so good, I buy them by the case.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 06-23-2008, 08:16 PM   #17
Alembic
Recipes 

I'd like to chime in here. It is an interesting question. When I first started homebrewing I was very satisfied with the results because of the quality of ingredients used as well as of course the freshness factor. And I have to tell you as I'm sure you will all agree. Things always taste better when it was your own two hands that made them.

I went through a phase where I said to myself I will never buy beer again and only drink homebrew. But time to brew became a factor so I had to out of drinking necessity start buying commercial beer but it was all craft stuff. No BMC for me. Flavor and freshness is everything. Those are the 2 biggest things I have learned from homebrewing and beer in general.

So I think any homebrewer with practice and patience can definately make better beer than what is available commercially. For the most part

Old 06-23-2008, 08:20 PM   #18
Beerthoven

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

One thing I've noticed is that some commercial beers that claim to have a lot of hop aroma really don't have that much compared to a dry-hopped homebrew.

Primary/Secondary: #109 Rye, #110 APA

Kegged: #106 American Wheat, #107 IPA, #108 Nut Brown

Planned: Red IPA, American Brown

Old 06-23-2008, 08:21 PM   #19
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

No one else makes beer just how I like it.

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Old 06-23-2008, 08:38 PM   #20
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 558 Times on 330 Posts
Likes Given: 198

It may be easy to assume we slant towards our own beer just because we made it...but:

• When company comes over and they head straight down to the taps in the brewshop...
  • When family asks you to brew up three kegs of beer to bring to a family gathering...
  • When the SWMBO's co-workers insist on having an after hours get together at your house...just because of the beer...

That's when you know that it is more than just a case of favoritism.

Really and truly, homebrewed beer is worth it...when it's brewed well.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Quick Reply