Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Home grown hop harvest

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2007, 09:54 PM   #11
kvh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort
Mine are getting close. Perhaps next weekend. Now I gotta figure out how to dry them.

Use the Alton Brown (Good Eats) method of drying things - buy a few 20" x 20" furnace air filters (the zig-zag kind, not the squishy mesh kind). Fill all the crevices with hops, a different variety per filter... stack them up with an empty one on top, lay a box fan onto it, and bungie cord the whole contraption together. Turn on the fan and let run for a day or two... BAM! dry hops, and an awesome smelling house!
Primary Fermentor -

Secondary - Mystery IPA
Secondary -
Bottle Conditioning -
Keg Conditioning -

Draft: - Apfelwein, Belgian-style Dubbel w/ Grains of Paradise
Bottles:(and still in stock): FIRST AG - (I)IPA 4.1.07, PK's Warm Spring Marzen, Summer Cerveza -BANG, PK's Winter Spice II, Espresso Stout, Indiana Pale Ale, PK's Chocolate Bitter II, Porterfield Porter, and New Year's 2006 remnants.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2007, 11:37 PM   #12
98EXL

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvh
Use the Alton Brown (Good Eats) method of drying things - buy a few 20" x 20" furnace air filters (the zig-zag kind, not the squishy mesh kind). Fill all the crevices with hops, a different variety per filter... stack them up with an empty one on top, lay a box fan onto it, and bungie cord the whole contraption together. Turn on the fan and let run for a day or two... BAM! dry hops, and an awesome smelling house!

that is freaking ingenious! I love stuff like that

I'm back!!!

Old 08-07-2007, 02:22 PM   #13
bigkevj
Recipes 

So how do you get a hops vine going?

Old 08-07-2007, 02:39 PM   #14
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkevj
So how do you get a hops vine going?
Buy a few hops rhizomes (root stock) from a home brew supply store or a place like freshops.com
freshops.com also has a good guide to growing hops.

I got four rhizomes this spring from Freshops. 3 of the varieties have a good supply of flowers growing. I not real sure how to tell when they are ripe but it should not be long. I was impressed by how well they grew considering that I didn't really do much besides plant them with some compost and my parents watered them once a week or so.
Craig

Old 08-07-2007, 02:48 PM   #15
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 265 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvh
Frickin awesome! Thanks for a the great tip. It will take me about 15 minutes to do this and that includes the trip to Lowes.

Old 08-07-2007, 02:51 PM   #16
Zar
Recipes 

All this talk about everyone growing their own hops makes me wish i didnt live in florida.

Old 08-07-2007, 04:32 PM   #17
kvh
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort
Frickin awesome! Thanks for a the great tip. It will take me about 15 minutes to do this and that includes the trip to Lowes.
He's also used the method for drying herbs, and making jerkey. I'm not so sure about jerkey on a furnace filter, but he swears by it.... I believe those are one-time-use-only filters though. The hops/herbs one you can use over and over.
Primary Fermentor -

Secondary - Mystery IPA
Secondary -
Bottle Conditioning -
Keg Conditioning -

Draft: - Apfelwein, Belgian-style Dubbel w/ Grains of Paradise
Bottles:(and still in stock): FIRST AG - (I)IPA 4.1.07, PK's Warm Spring Marzen, Summer Cerveza -BANG, PK's Winter Spice II, Espresso Stout, Indiana Pale Ale, PK's Chocolate Bitter II, Porterfield Porter, and New Year's 2006 remnants.

Quick Reply