Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Home Depot Kegerator Sale TODAY Only

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2012, 03:57 AM   #11
Hackwood
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 119

If the temp not going low enough is the biggest problem then it is probably like the one I had a few months back that just needed the thermostat "hacked". It was a simple procedure of removing a cover and manually turning a screw. I actually drilled through the cover so that any further adjustment could be done without taking anything apart.

If that is the biggest problem and the same applies, it's a good deal.

Fermenting - Nothing.
Lagering - Nothing.
Secondary - Nothing.
Bottle-aging -Nothing.
In the Fridge - Brian's Best Bitter

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 04:08 AM   #12
luke2080
Insert Witty Title Here..
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

The reviews that complained about the compressor are what would worry me. Seems like it would barely work as a fridge.

The Danby fridges are running around $180. A 2 tap tower pre-built is $100 if you already have a CO2 tank.

If you plan to have 2 corny kegs in it, you'll need a different tap tower in it anyway, and different connections. The hoses will probably need to be lengthened. So basically its $300 for a fridge with a pre-cut hole, and an old Sanke connection to use if you want to throw a commercial keg into it.

A good deal if you only want to do 1 commercial keg. For a homebrew setup, DIY provides the better option. I'm "non-handy" and even I did it in a couple of hours.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:20 AM   #13
ryno1ryno
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke2080 View Post
The reviews that complained about the compressor are what would worry me. Seems like it would barely work as a fridge.

The Danby fridges are running around $180. A 2 tap tower pre-built is $100 if you already have a CO2 tank.

If you plan to have 2 corny kegs in it, you'll need a different tap tower in it anyway, and different connections. The hoses will probably need to be lengthened. So basically its $300 for a fridge with a pre-cut hole, and an old Sanke connection to use if you want to throw a commercial keg into it.

A good deal if you only want to do 1 commercial keg. For a homebrew setup, DIY provides the better option. I'm "non-handy" and even I did it in a couple of hours.
Are there any good DIY links that show how to cut a hole in the top, seal it and then upgrade the mini fridge to a kegerator?

Old 12-20-2012, 11:49 AM   #14
wubears71

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I'm all over that lamp! Haha. I guess the deal expired.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:56 AM   #15
ryno1ryno
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by wubears71 View Post
I'm all over that lamp! Haha. I guess the deal expired.
I believe walmart has it for 297.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:10 PM   #16
tomCT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I went through Costco today and they had the Danby 4.4 Minifridge for $150.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:26 PM   #17
jgaepi
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

I bought the Walmart one for $297. The Amazon reviews in 2012 are pretty clear to avoid the old bad reviews from 2007ish. People are saying that it stays cooler these days. Plus someone gave specs on how to manually override the temp gauge down to the low 30s.

I had already bought a conversion kit from kegconnection from their BF sale. But then a lot of the old mainstay mini fridges are discontinued and the new options (like Danby 400bl) have some minor issues with conversion.

So clearly I don't think this is the cheapest option but $297 for the unit plus $180 for the all S/S conversion kit from KC, I hopefully should get exactly what I want out of it.

All the ice chests have had super low price points but it is a space issue. A lot of people don't have the space for the ice chest. Plus this has casters so it can be brought outside for parties. I personally think it is the best of all worlds.

1st Brew: Black IPA
2nd Brew: Pilsener Urquell Clone
3rd Brew: Pliny the Elder Clone
4th Brew: Dogfish Head 90min IPA Clone

Old 12-22-2012, 05:41 PM   #18
luke2080
Insert Witty Title Here..

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno1ryno View Post
Are there any good DIY links that show how to cut a hole in the top, seal it and then upgrade the mini fridge to a kegerator?
Yes. For the Danby - this thread has some good information.

One link that shows the actual conversion:
http://www.thegatesofdawn.ca/wordpre...ing/kegerator/

This is the link that I followed, has lots of good pictures and shows exactly where to drill the whole with the correct Danby model:
https://plus.google.com/photos/11441...wa&gpsrc=pwrd1

If you do the danby conversion, read the last page in teh HBT thread I linked to first. They have changed the door, so you can't just pop off the inside piece. Need to make some cuts and seal those cuts. Not hard, just need to know what to look for.

Quick Reply