The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Home brewing blues.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2011, 12:23 PM   #11
coastwx
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwitz View Post
I get 55lb sacks of grain for 25 bucks, its gone up, used to be 22. So if i did a simple beer, it would be like 12 bucks for 10 gallons.
Our bulk buy is about $30 for 55 lb. That's around $7 for the base grain of an IPA (5 gal). Bulk hops at less than $1 an ounce including shipping. Throw in free yeast via washing and few dollars for specialty grains and you can easily do a batch for around $12 not including the other small stuff.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2011, 01:12 PM   #12
Piratwolf
Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 82

I haven't broken it down on a spreadsheet yet, but my move to AG has hardly broken the bank.

Used 5-gal MLT=free; SS braid & ball valve set-up = $25
5-gal brew pot from extract/PM days
Washed yeast
70 lbs grain (base + specialty) for $115 delivered
Bulk hops in the freezer
CFC chiller FREE from a buddy
SQ14 + 20lbs propane $65
Already had ferm fridges/controller

So total cost of move for me, given that I had a lot of stuff from PM days, has been about $205. I am planning on a 15-gal brew pot in a month or so (which will add about $200) and kegging, but neither of those is strictly necessary to AG as far as I can tell.

If you're patient and obsessed, you can find good deals and keep it cheaper... Seen several posts to that effect.

"All your home brew are belong to us!"

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

Old 10-29-2011, 01:19 PM   #13
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 699 Times on 586 Posts
Likes Given: 215

My move to all grain has hardly broken the bank either. Less than $20 for a Corona style grain mill, a couple of paint strainer bags and my 20 qt pot that I already had and I'm ready to do half size (3 gallon) batches right on the kitchen stove. Since I do smaller batches, I get to brew more often. It takes me about 3 hours from bringing out the equipment to putting it all away for that size batch.

Old 10-29-2011, 01:25 PM   #14
pm5k00
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piratwolf
I am planning on a 15-gal brew pot in a month or so (which will add about $200)
You can pick up a used keg at a scrapyard for cheap (around 30) then cut off the top and you have a 15.5 gallon SS brew pot.

Sent from my Samsung Epic 4G using Home Brew Talk

Old 10-29-2011, 01:29 PM   #15
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 172

Most of my normal brews come out between $11-$15 with bulk grains, bulk hops and washed yeast too.

Not to be too assumptive on your situation here, but you can definitely make the transition to AG over time while you are building up your brewery equipment. In the meantime, brew with a buddy. If you haven't found or joined a homebrew club in your area, I would highly recommend it. We have tons of apartment brewers in our club that don't have space for equipment and folks brew together quite a bit.

Cheers

Aging: Sour Solera, Flemish Gold, Repas du Matin Sour Table Beer, Flanders Red, Anejo Rum Sour, Brett Brown, Sour blonde, Funky Barleywine Barrel, Sour Rye Whiskey Barrel
Bottled: Cherry Oud Bruin, Le Batard Solera, Sour Stout, Wild Ale, Brett Belgian Rye Stout, Berliner Weisse, FlandersPale, Brett Old Ale, Funky Fig Saison, Mango BGSA, Rapture RIS, Brett Saison

Old 10-29-2011, 01:33 PM   #16
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

What did you buy to go ag a saabco system? My ghetto rig probably didn't cost more than 200 I think.

My ghetto brew-rig, featuring the 15 dollar harbor freight folding workbench and milk crate.

Been doing it this way for 5 years.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-29-2011, 03:45 PM   #17
mcaple1
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

I really dislike people trying to one-up everyone regarding how little their batches cost. There are so many variables. If someone says that it costs them 40-60 to make a batch, and then someone tells them they are spending too much, how the hell would you know. They didn't even mention their batch size or intended recipe...you telling me that a cream ale will cost the same as an imperial russian stout....get real people. Even if you wash your yeast, buy your grains and hops in bulk in bulk, you still have so many variables that yes...even for a 6 gallon batch, you could spend upwards of 50 bucks. So quit knocking fellow homebrewers down, and let them just make beer for the price they want to pay. It's not a competition to see who can brew the cheapest. Most of our recipes wouldnt even be commercially sustainable they cost so much per gallon...but we do it anyway.

Old 10-29-2011, 03:55 PM   #18
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law

Recipes 

Liked 835 Times on 619 Posts
Likes Given: 1103

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcaple1 View Post
It's not a competition to see who can brew the cheapest.
True, you're right. The best thing to do is let the OP keep making such expensive batches that he doesn't have enough money to brew. I don't know what I was thinking. After all, who really wants to brew more often anyway?

Old 10-29-2011, 03:57 PM   #19
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
True, you're right. The best thing to do is let the OP keep making such expensive batches, that he doesn't have enough money to brew. I don't know what I was thinking. After all, who really wants to brew more often anyway?
Yeah especially since not everyone knows about buying bulk, harvesting yeast etc, or that you don't need shiny expensive toys to make great beer....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-29-2011, 03:59 PM   #20
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law

Recipes 

Liked 835 Times on 619 Posts
Likes Given: 1103

I wish more people had kept their mouths shut when I was learning, imagine how much more money I could have spent! Knowledge is such an awful thing.

Quick Reply