The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Home brewers could save Germany's sacred beer tradition

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2009, 03:53 PM   #1
ahansler
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Vista, CA
Posts: 66
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Home brewers could save Germany's sacred beer tradition

Home brewers could save Germany's sacred beer tradition - The Local
__________________
ahansler is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2009, 04:02 PM   #2
Schlenkerla
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Schlenkerla's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Decatur, Illinois
Posts: 6,336
Liked 81 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Those German home brewers are late in getting into the game.

One might say that Germans have more choice in beers unlike us here in the US so the motivation is not that great to start making your own.

Late is better than never.

Like Vince Shlomy says, "You know those Germans make good stuff!"

I'd like to walk into a German homebrew shop!!

__________________
Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. - Dale Carnegie

BS Nano-Brewery

Primary: SNPA Clone, Apfelwein
2ndary: Empty
Drinking: Dead Ringer IPA, Ma Duece (50 caliber) - Malt Liquor, Cranberry Wheat
Next: Cali-Common, American Amber, Smoked to Helles

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|
Schlenkerla is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2009, 04:33 PM   #3
arturo7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
arturo7's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Huntington Beach
Posts: 9,023
Liked 132 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Slightly OT

I have a work buddy who grew up in a small German town named Zusenhausen, population 2,000. They have a regional brewery that has been in business since 18-thirtysomething.

For a high school science project, he and a couple of his classmates homebrewed a 50L batch of lager. The brewery donated the yeast.

He said the taste wasn't so good but it didn't go to waste.

__________________

Hey, knock that shvt off. We're drinkin' here.

arturo7 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2009, 05:03 PM   #4
ewbish
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 176
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlenkerla View Post
Those German home brewers are late in getting into the game.

One might say that Germans have more choice in beers unlike us here in the US so the motivation is not that great to start making your own.

Late is better than never.

Like Vince Shlomy says, "You know those Germans make good stuff!"

I'd like to walk into a German homebrew shop!!
More selection....huge numbers of local/regional breweries, home delivery, decent beer cheaper than bottled water, Biergarden every 15 feet with a nice atmosphere/no karoake/good beer/quiet/good selection........heck, it's amazing Germans would even think about home brewing!

I lived in a little town called Gebrunn, outside of Wuerzburg, for nearly 4 years. The local beverage shop delivered a case of beer to me every friday morning......and I got a bill in the mail every month. The initial cost was 30 dollars (roughly, I actually paid in DM) for the bottle/case deposit, and about 12.00 to 18.00 dollars for the beer itself (usually 20 x .5 liter bottles). There was no delivery charge within the town itself. As long as you leave the case w/ the bottles on your door step, you never pay the deposit again until you cancel the service, then you get it back after you return the case/bottles. Any time you bought a case at the shop, you paid the deposit, plus the beer cost, and it was returned when you brought back the bottles/case. The cases were nice hard plastic crates. I didn't get a lot of deposits back.......and hence I have several of those awesome german crates and hundreds of flip tops for my home brew.

One may note that in GE.......you very rarely see broken glass or tossed bottles......they are flat out worth to much. I've often thought that America took a massive wrong turn with the twist off non reuseables. The germans don't "recycle" their beer bottles......they reuse them. They clean/sterilize and replace the gasket on the flippers if applicable, then refill and ship. I think this system alone has helped keep the price in check and it certainly cut down on wasteful disposal, trash, energy use.....etc.
__________________
ewbish is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2009, 05:27 PM   #5
Catch-22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Stansbury Park, Utah
Posts: 269
Default

Did anyone read the title of the second news article under the first paragraph?

__________________
<*(((><


Dwight Schrute: In an ideal world I would have all ten fingers on my left hand so my right hand could just be a fist for punching.
Catch-22 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2009, 05:31 PM   #6
llazy_llama
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Rapid City, South Dakota
Posts: 2,885
Liked 64 Times on 26 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch-22 View Post
Did anyone read the title of the second news article under the first paragraph?
British fascinated by Nazi Super Cows? How could I miss that!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catt22 View Post
I would never use a dead mouse in my beer. It's much better to use live ones. You could probably just steep a dead one, but live ones must be mashed. Actually, smashed and mashed would be best.
llazy_llama is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2009, 05:38 PM   #7
McGarnigle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NYS
Posts: 1,741
Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

LOL:

* Man gets off for sleeping with underaged prostitute - Society (23 Apr 09)
* British fascinated by Nazi 'super cows' - National (22 Apr 09)
* Hookers offer discounts amid limp sex trade - Society (17 Apr 09)

__________________
McGarnigle is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2009, 08:16 PM   #8
Whiskey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Mccordsville, Indiana
Posts: 734
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Default

The "declining variety" the article alludes to probably has something to do with most of the smaller and some of the bigger breweries, (even the ones that had been in continuous operation for hundreds of years), are being bought by larger "corporation" sized breweries. The names stay the same, but regionally it is getting hard to find beers that taste different. Where a few years ago, you could get a different Hefe just down the street, you now find the same tasting, differently labeled beer.

This is a somewhat recent development.

@Ewbish I also lived in Weurzburg for a couple years.

__________________
Insert catchy signature here....

Whiskey is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2009, 08:19 PM   #9
ewbish
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 176
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
The "declining variety" the article alludes to probably has something to do with most of the smaller and some of the bigger breweries, (even the ones that had been in continuous operation for hundreds of years), are being bought by larger "corporation" sized breweries. The names stay the same, but regionally it is getting hard to find beers that taste different. Where a few years ago, you could get a different Hefe just down the street, you now find the same tasting, differently labeled beer.

This is a somewhat recent development.

@Ewbish I also lived in Weurzburg for a couple years.
When were you there? Army?
__________________
ewbish is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2009, 08:27 PM   #10
CBBaron
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
CBBaron's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 2,787
Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewbish View Post
One may note that in GE.......you very rarely see broken glass or tossed bottles......they are flat out worth to much. I've often thought that America took a massive wrong turn with the twist off non reuseables. The germans don't "recycle" their beer bottles......they reuse them. They clean/sterilize and replace the gasket on the flippers if applicable, then refill and ship. I think this system alone has helped keep the price in check and it certainly cut down on wasteful disposal, trash, energy use.....etc.
The difference between the German system and the American system is that in GE most beer is brewed locally and therefore the transport of beer to the consumer and returnable bottle to the brewery is all local. In the US brewerys are national and the bottles are often shipped across the country. A reusable bottle would increase costs considerably as the heavier bottles would increase the shipping costs to the customer then you would also have to ship the heavy bottles back to the brewery. Then you still have to pay for cleaning and inspection. Its not practical for a national brewer.

I like the German situation better.

Ofcourse nearly all of my bottles are reused many times, and local means the basement.

Craig
__________________
CBBaron is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How many home brewers in US? TxBrew General Chit Chat 19 09-27-2011 03:38 AM
Home Brewers Map BNVince HomeBrewTalk Announcements & Feedback 144 03-21-2011 12:09 PM
How many home brewers are in Queens/NYC? dzamba General Beer Discussion 12 05-15-2009 02:36 PM
Hello All Home Brewers Panzermann Introductions 5 12-07-2008 01:05 PM
All grain brewers help save the world. Orfy All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 23 10-02-2007 04:53 PM