Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Home Brew Won't be Served at St Louis Brewers Heritage Festival for 2012

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2012, 04:54 AM   #1
stlbeer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Default Home Brew Won't be Served at St Louis Brewers Heritage Festival for 2012

I didn't see any other posts regarding this, so thought I'd put this up.

The St Louis Excise Commission has deemed the serving of free home brewed beer at the Brewer's Heritage Festival to be illegal. Though this has been going on since 2007 and the State of Missouri liquor control board have signed off on this as being ok, the organizers of this years event came to the conclusion that if an attendee is buying a ticket and unlicensed brewers are serving their brew, then that is illegal.

I've read on here, somewhere, of this happening in other states. In those states where this has been remedied, how was that done?

The festival is 4 days away and I'm sure it won't be resolved by then. Shame too since there was over 700 gallons of home brew going to be served over the course of the 3 day festival.

http://www.stltoday.com/entertainment/dining/bars-and-clubs-other/hip-hops/st-louis-homebrew-is-illegal-at-heritage-festival/article_f1f1a866-b439-11e1-ab83-0019bb30f31a.html

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2012, 05:21 AM   #2
Phunhog
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Wow! That's too bad. I don't know if it has ever been challenged in California. I know of several homebrew clubs that have poured at commercial beer festivals but not to the level/amount that you guys had going on.
I hope the AHA gets involved and you guys get this straightened out for next year.

Check out my nanobrewery!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Two...02323289804018

Old 06-12-2012, 05:31 AM   #3
CrimsonBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

As a regular volunteer for the festival this is very upsetting. I would love the focus to be on both great Midwestern craft beer and saint louis home brew. Amazing and sad the amount of increasing regulation and enforcement on home brewing as of late.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:41 AM   #4
Mongrel
Recipes 

Liked 154 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I know it seems ****ty, but good things can come of this. In Oregon, we had a year where we couldn't legally transport homebrew outside our homes (even for competitions) after the OLCC looked at how our laws were worded. Now we have some of the most liberal homebrew laws in the nation. Use this as an opportunity to get your representatives to work for you.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:36 AM   #5
OhCrap
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts

Could they buy the ticket for a raffle? Just have a couple prizes on offer!!! Or else maybe the people attending make a contribution to the cost of running the event or similar

3 is enough &
4 ISN'T half enough

Old 06-12-2012, 11:15 AM   #6
wubears71
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Unfortunately in St. Louis this means we won't allow it unless we get paid. I am dissapointed about it.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:23 AM   #7
stlbeer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 82

It's bigger than a raffle. It's the premier beer event for St Louis and the proceeds go to a local charity. Hopefully we'll be able to do something like Oregon an get some rules clarified.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:17 PM   #8
wailingguitar
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 425

The home brewer is not getting paid for the beer produced... the persons paying the fee are not necessarily going to drink the home brew. Their argument is invalid... particularly if the ABC board has already signed off on it. My guess is that this actually comes from someone being in a beer distributor's pocket.

"Why did you.... what was the point of... how drunk were you when you decided this was a good idea?" - DMartin

Old 06-12-2012, 12:20 PM   #9
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 211 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 369

so, we gonna do about one of these a year then?

The man who intoxicates himself on bad whisky is sometimes moved to kill his wife and set his house on fire, but the victim of applejack is capable of blowing up a whole town with dynamite and of reciting original poetry to every surviving inhabitant.

– "A Wicked Beverage," New York Times, April 10, 1894

Old 06-12-2012, 12:43 PM   #10
biochemedic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 21

At the Charlotte Oktoberfest the homebrewers are at least as popular as the commercial brewer's tents...there are (I think) three major brew clubs, and they all bring mondo amounts of homebrew. NC does actually have some fairly progressive beer laws though...about 7 yrs ago the raised the max abv and really opened up the doors for craft brewing.

Secondary: Why do I keep this line here...?
Bulk Aging: Cocobochet
Planned: Hop Metheglin #3 (NZ hops), Trad. Gesho T'ej

Quick Reply