Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Home brew tasting event

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2010, 12:02 AM   #1
ArmyBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Home brew tasting event

My father-in-law owns a bar in downtown detroit, right on the river. We are trying to put together a home brew event where a bunch of home brewers bring in the fruits of their labor for people to sample. Right now we are looking for brewers that would want to participate. The local HBS, Cap n Cork, has agreed to set up a booth. We are also thinking about setting up a little prize for the best brew as voted by the customers. If you're interested reply to this thread as I can only get 5 PM's.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2010, 02:12 AM   #2
robtotten
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

It sounds cool, but your father in law could probably get in trouble for serving what would be considered bootlegged beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyBrewer View Post
My father-in-law owns a bar in downtown detroit, right on the river. We are trying to put together a home brew event where a bunch of home brewers bring in the fruits of their labor for people to sample. Right now we are looking for brewers that would want to participate. The local HBS, Cap n Cork, has agreed to set up a booth. We are also thinking about setting up a little prize for the best brew as voted by the customers. If you're interested reply to this thread as I can only get 5 PM's.

Old 04-21-2010, 02:19 AM   #3
lunchbox
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtotten View Post
It sounds cool, but your father in law could probably get in trouble for serving what would be considered bootlegged beer!
I would think the only trouble would be if he charged for it. Otherwise it's just a gathering of homebrewers sharing beer.

Old 04-21-2010, 02:31 AM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4782 Times on 3477 Posts
Likes Given: 956

There was some legislation pending in Michigan earlier this year that would allow homebrewers to have meetings and/or events at brewpubs. Up until at least March 2010, it was illegal. I'm not sure where the pending legislation stands right now. I don't think the event can be held legally at a brewpub, but check with someone up on the most current law before taking my word for it!

http://www.beertown.org/email/sylb/MI_2_26_2010.htm

Old 04-21-2010, 02:33 AM   #5
lunchbox
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yet another reason to join the Brewers Association.

Old 04-21-2010, 02:39 AM   #6
ArmyBrewer
Recipes 

We are not charging for the beer. Also, the parking lot is owned by a third party and that is where the beer tasting will be held. Worst case scenario, I set it up where I "rent" the parking lot from the third party. This way, we have nothing to do with the bar.

Old 04-21-2010, 02:42 AM   #7
fatherbigfoot
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I might be interested depending on the date I could bring it up at my brew club meeting here in lansing at our may meeting

Old 04-21-2010, 02:47 AM   #8
dunnright00
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
..The local HBS, Cap n Cork, has agreed to set up a booth....
Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
...but check with someone up on the most current law before taking my word for it!
I would think that someone from the HomeBrew Club should be up on the laws...

"I'm sittin' here, completely surrounded by No Beer!" - Onslow

Old 04-21-2010, 02:52 AM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4782 Times on 3477 Posts
Likes Given: 956

Quote:
We are not charging for the beer. Also, the parking lot is owned by a third party and that is where the beer tasting will be held. Worst case scenario, I set it up where I "rent" the parking lot from the third party. This way, we have nothing to do with the bar.
That should be ok, then. You'd hate for someone to risk losing his liquor license over Michigan's ridiculous laws! Some states are even worse- in a state out west (I believe it's Washington), it's illegal to take homebrew anywhere. Even taking a growler out of your home to have at your campsite is technically illegal there!

In Michigan, it's legal to gift up to 20 gallons of homebrew per year but in some states you aren't allowed to give any away or are limited to a 6 pack! The laws differ greatly from state to state, so what is true for one state is probably NOT the case in another.

Anyway, of course don't take our legal advice! Find out for sure and then have a great time! It sounds like fun.

Old 04-21-2010, 02:55 AM   #10
Zen_Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Yooper. WA did have some crazy law about not being able to share homebrew outside of your own home. Thankfully the law was repealed last year....And there was much rejoicing.

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Quick Reply