Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > home brew supply shops in......NJ!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2008, 07:45 PM   #41
oguss0311
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Postman- I hear you man- I have AG equipment and most often do Heavy PM (5lbs+ of grain) simply because my 1year old is not interested in my being busy for hours on end. I suggest you consider doing what I do- and use just one or two pounds of DME- and the rest grain- which means that you can get away with Not doing a full boil- which means that you don't have to chill 5 gal or wort, etc. I just use a 5gal cooler- that I converted to a mash tun with a procedure I learned here- mash while I prep/sanitize everything-etc. It only adds an hour to your extract routine. The difference- in my opinion is HUGE. And you get play around with different grains- etc. I love it. Plus- after you get the cooler squared away- you are saving about one third of so on your current price per batch.
Yup.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2008, 07:52 PM   #42
oguss0311
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by postman View Post
It's like kegs vs All Grain equipment.
Also- with the kid variable- I will tell you that Kegs not only give you more control over your carb. levels, but they take less time, and you sanitize ONE thing- not 50+- and that saves some serious time and effort.
Only downside is not being able to bring samples for buddies, etc.

Old 10-17-2008, 06:18 PM   #43
RIBeer
Recipes 

The Defiant Brewery in Pearl River, NY is sometimes willing to sell grain to homebrewers. Give a call first. Pearl River is nust over the border from Montvale, NJ. Great beer, too!

Old 10-17-2008, 11:41 PM   #44
postman
Recipes 

oogus311,

Little kids are time eaters, but time with them is so much fun. I recently went all grain on a 2.5 gal scale. I'm using a combo of methods from here to make my own procedure. I even upped one batch to 3.5 gallons by adding 1 lb of DME. I love the results. Your right, its a huge difference. I was considering an extract recipe recently, but the price hurt a little. That convinced me to stay with grains for most of the fermentables, then I can add in extra DME to either do a mini mash or a mini-mini mash.

As for kegs, I'm still up in the air on that one. The price is big. As of now, bottles are free. Obviously, my time is an issue though. So usually, my brew day begins during dinner, and concludes after the kids are asleep.

It's all good though. The beer has been great lately. I'm trying to convert one of the NB IPA recipes to mini mash right now. I'm hoping to buy that this weekend. Who out there invests in the bulk DME and if so, are you glad you made the choice to go bulk?

Old 02-20-2009, 07:00 AM   #45
oguss0311
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just a note- Corrado's has really picked up it's act- there is a decent variety of base malts in 10lb bags, lots of 55lb bags, etc. Hops are even cheaper than what I see online a lot these days......It seems they intend to have our business. I'm almost scared that if everyone checks them out- they will sell out- but at least now I think they will actually reorder too.....and then things will be fresh!

Old 02-20-2009, 11:07 AM   #46
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 910 Times on 606 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I've got to check the place out eventually. It's on the way up to my inlaws place in Paramus anyway. What are they getting for a sack of maris otter?

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 02-20-2009, 11:39 AM   #47
oguss0311
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

They only have pale malt, honey malt and two others-(65-69 bucks if I remember right) Morris is only in 10 lbs- which is 15.99 or 16.99 for them- two bucks more than their 10lbs pale malt. Having really good deals and selections for sacks would have blown me right over- this place only had 1lb backs of grain for Years. I'm really glad that they are restocking etc.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:27 PM   #48
jgln
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNVince View Post
I'm in New Jersey as well although I'm down south right outside of Atlantic City. I've gotten everything delivered to me so far but I just found a place in Turnersville called Beercrafters Inc. Anybody gone there? Is it any good?

Used to go to Beercrafters many years ago 10+ but got into kind of an argument with who I believe was the owner (I had a co-worker who knew him and he said his name was Fritz and described him). I went in to buy wine bottle corks that I had brought there before. For some reason he kept telling me he had no idea what I was talking about, never carried such a thing and kept telling me all he had were the cork stoppers with plastic caps. After 5 minutes of telling him I brought them there before and us both getting annoyed he pulled something out from behind the counter and said with stupid look "you mean these??" "Why would you want them when it’s easier to use the stoppers????" I told him "that is what I want" and he sold me them. Now maybe I called them something different but you would think he would have pulled out the corks long before we both got annoyed with each other. I buy on line now. They were ok before that, didn't have a whole lot back then as far as grain on display.
Have you been there yet?

Old 02-21-2009, 12:42 PM   #49
oguss0311
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
. What are they getting for a sack of maris otter?
I lied they Do have Morris Otter, and it was $79.99 (Their most expensive by a little bit)
Is this better then down by you? Now that a buddy and I are doing similar recipes, sacks are something we need to get on'.

Old 02-25-2009, 04:24 PM   #50
johnnybutt35
Recipes 

im a noob and just started out and got all my stuff (kit and ingredients) from beercrafters in turnersville. i think i know the owner you had your argument with. kind of a grouchy old man. but the other people that work there that i spoke to were very knowledgable and i got alot of help from them. they also have a nice supply of grains. dont know what other places have in comparison but there looked to be a wide variety. i used 4 kinds of grains on my first batch and that was just a small variety compared to what they had.

Quick Reply