The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > home brew supply shops in......NJ!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2012, 03:29 PM   #131
Johnnyboy1012
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Does anyone know if someone in the area carries Wyeast? Not that I have a problem with White Labs, but I'm looking for the Roeselare Ale yeast because I'm going to be brewing a sour beer. Most of the places around me in Northern NJ only carry White Labs.

Reading up on some of the previous posts, I agree that Corrados is mostly a waste of time. I only go there for White Labs yeast but I always call ahead to make sure they have it in. There was a time when they held up my brew day a few days because they told me they were getting yeast in on Wednesday, but did not getting the yeast in until Friday of the next week! Over the course of that week, I called so many times asking if they got the shipment of yeast in that they told me to just leave my number and they will call me when it comes in. I ended up driving an hour away to get the yeast I needed. Another problem with Corrados is that they don't really carry too many grains for an all grain brewer, and if they do have the grain you are looking for, they don't crush grains. I originally meant to write this post to ask about Wyeast, but remembered how frustrating Corrados can be.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 12:13 PM   #132
blakelyc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 84

I haven't found a place that has a comprehensive and reliable Wyeast stock... at least not one that is close enough to make it worth the time and fuel.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:28 PM   #133
Johnnyhitch1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 30 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 214 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 3224

Homebrewers always want the freshest yeast possible and when you think about how many strains there are between WL and WY its very hard for a small time or even medium sized LHBS to keep up with fresh packs of both companies, hell even one like roeselare. How many people do you think go in there asking for it besides you? I find also that usually LHBS are a lil over priced in the yeast/hop are of our sport.
In saying this i would advise you to buy online and choose from virtually any strain thats commercially available at that time. Toss some hops in the order and im sure even with shipping it will compare very well with the price your getting from the LHBS.

The only time i go to the shop anymore is if im in a pinch or forgot something on an online order. Start buying 2-3 batchs uncrushed at once, chill yeast and for the most infrequent brewer im sure it would save you time and a couple bucks in the long run.

O yah...Always use a starter if you dont already, trust me.

Good luck and enjoy the sour! Im up on long island invite me down in a year to taste it! lol

Primary: Kicking Cans DIPA, ECY20 Golden sour.
Kegged: Conan the Brown, OBS (Oatmeal brett stout)
Aging: Flanders Red w/ ECY02, All out Brett.
BOTTLES:

Cider: Grapfelwine, Apfelwine, Cranfelwine, Applejack
Beer: NZ Brett (BD:9/16/12)
Mead: Blueberry-lemon, Raspberry-Lime, Habenero, POM, Traditional.
Cellar: Maple Whiskey Barrel Stout, ST Pumking Clone

Old 12-03-2012, 12:39 PM   #134
bellmtbbq
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 125

I'm pretty sure Princeton Homebrew only has white labs

Check out my blog! Lambic brewday!

Fathom Brewing

-TF

Old 12-03-2012, 12:55 PM   #135
zeprock2
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Keg and barrel in Berlin nj had a bunch of fresh wyeast last time I was in there. I think they were 6.99 a pack. Might be a little far from you though. Looks like u r in north jersey.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:52 PM   #136
MistuckyCreek
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyhitch1 View Post
Homebrewers always want the freshest yeast possible and when you think about how many strains there are between WL and WY its very hard for a small time or even medium sized LHBS to keep up with fresh packs of both companies, hell even one like roeselare. How many people do you think go in there asking for it besides you? I find also that usually LHBS are a lil over priced in the yeast/hop are of our sport.
In saying this i would advise you to buy online and choose from virtually any strain thats commercially available at that time. Toss some hops in the order and im sure even with shipping it will compare very well with the price your getting from the LHBS.

The only time i go to the shop anymore is if im in a pinch or forgot something on an online order. Start buying 2-3 batchs uncrushed at once, chill yeast and for the most infrequent brewer im sure it would save you time and a couple bucks in the long run.

O yah...Always use a starter if you dont already, trust me.

Good luck and enjoy the sour! Im up on long island invite me down in a year to taste it! lol
This sentiment is why LHBS's are closing. You absolutely cannot compare the service, expertise, friendly advice, and fresh ingredients that you get from your local homebrew shop. If price is the only consideration when considering your purchase, then you are correct. We can't always compete. However, we are VERY competitive when shipping costs are factored into the equation. We at Mistucky Creek Homebrew Supply strive to provide our customers with the freshest, most complete, and diversified product list possible, as do most local shops. It is near impossible to stock everything, but we can get anything needed to make high quality homebrew and wine. We appreciate our customers more than you could imagine, for they allow us to stay in business and continue to help our local home brewing, and wine making community. Sorry for the rant everyone, but PLEASE support your LHBS whenever possible!!

Cheers,

Mistucky Creek Co.
845-988-HOPS(4677)
www.mistuckycreek.com

Old 12-04-2012, 01:57 PM   #137
MistuckyCreek
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyboy1012 View Post
Does anyone know if someone in the area carries Wyeast? Not that I have a problem with White Labs, but I'm looking for the Roeselare Ale yeast because I'm going to be brewing a sour beer. Most of the places around me in Northern NJ only carry White Labs.

Reading up on some of the previous posts, I agree that Corrados is mostly a waste of time. I only go there for White Labs yeast but I always call ahead to make sure they have it in. There was a time when they held up my brew day a few days because they told me they were getting yeast in on Wednesday, but did not getting the yeast in until Friday of the next week! Over the course of that week, I called so many times asking if they got the shipment of yeast in that they told me to just leave my number and they will call me when it comes in. I ended up driving an hour away to get the yeast I needed. Another problem with Corrados is that they don't really carry too many grains for an all grain brewer, and if they do have the grain you are looking for, they don't crush grains. I originally meant to write this post to ask about Wyeast, but remembered how frustrating Corrados can be.
JohnnyBoy,

We are located in Warwick, NY. check us out www.mistuckycreek.com. We carry a full line of base malts and specialty grains, and we crush for free. We stock White Labs, but we are a Wyeast dealer as well and can get you whatever you need. There is also North Jersey Homebrew Supply in Sparta NJ. if that is closer to you. We would love to help you out with all your homebrewing needs.

Lloyd

Cheers,

Mistucky Creek Co.
845-988-HOPS(4677)
www.mistuckycreek.com

Old 12-04-2012, 02:02 PM   #138
Johnnyhitch1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 30 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 214 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 3224

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistuckyCreek View Post
This sentiment is why LHBS's are closing. You absolutely cannot compare the service, expertise, friendly advice, and fresh ingredients that you get from your local homebrew shop. If price is the only consideration when considering your purchase, then you are correct. We can't always compete. However, we are VERY competitive when shipping costs are factored into the equation. We at Mistucky Creek Homebrew Supply strive to provide our customers with the freshest, most complete, and diversified product list possible, as do most local shops. It is near impossible to stock everything, but we can get anything needed to make high quality homebrew and wine. We appreciate our customers more than you could imagine, for they allow us to stay in business and continue to help our local home brewing, and wine making community. Sorry for the rant everyone, but PLEASE support your LHBS whenever possible!!
I agree that the service and up close conversations u get at the LHBS should out weight the rest but when i go into my shop and i cant get half of the specialty grains i want to brew with and half the hops are "coming in a couple days" and the yeast i want they dont even stock, it really kills me for scheduled brew day.
Because of this i have moved towards buying in bulk online cut out the gas and replaced it with shipping costs. To me now its a win-win. I get packages delivered right to my door. I don't waste time driving to and from the shop and i have enough for 2-3 batches at a time.

Im all about buy American and support locals but it comes a time where its more efficient and cost worthy to shop online.

Primary: Kicking Cans DIPA, ECY20 Golden sour.
Kegged: Conan the Brown, OBS (Oatmeal brett stout)
Aging: Flanders Red w/ ECY02, All out Brett.
BOTTLES:

Cider: Grapfelwine, Apfelwine, Cranfelwine, Applejack
Beer: NZ Brett (BD:9/16/12)
Mead: Blueberry-lemon, Raspberry-Lime, Habenero, POM, Traditional.
Cellar: Maple Whiskey Barrel Stout, ST Pumking Clone

Old 12-04-2012, 04:16 PM   #139
Johnnyboy1012
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Lloyd,
I've been to your homebrew shop about 8 months ago and I bought a mash tun. I've used that thing non stop ever since. Your customer service was excellent and you even gave me a Mistuck Creek pint glass that I still use. There is nothing like a LHBS in my opinion. The only problem I have is that your shop is about an hour and change away so it's tough to make that trip if I'm not already on the area. I do have to say that I love your store and will definitely be back when I am in the area!

Old 01-08-2013, 03:35 PM   #140
ThirstyQuaker
Recipes 

Hey all, I've been lurking around HBT for quite some time, but finally decided to register to get some input from you all. It seems there is a lot to be desired from LHBS in the NJ/NY area. I'm considering opening one in Hudson County, and could use input from brewers in the area to see what people want. Questions like the one above about White Labs / Wyeast are what I'm trying to figure out. Thanks in advance for your time.

Survey Here

Quick Reply