Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Home Brew ABV vs Commercial ABV

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2009, 01:11 AM   #1
Gremlyn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Home Brew ABV vs Commercial ABV

I would assume it is illegal for a company to misrepresent their ABV on their comercially sold product. My first brew, which I am now drinking, is an all around good beer. Good taste without any big off flavours, and my recalculated ABV puts me between 5-5.5%. Trouble is, one bottle of it and I can feel it! I'm not exactly a small person, nor do I have a very low alcohol tolderance, so this is confusing. I drank a 20-ish oz store bought dunkelweizen last night without a similar effect. That was 5.3% ABV on the label.

Of course, I don't MIND drinking my beer and getting a slight buzz

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2009, 01:19 AM   #2
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts

it is all perception. Alcohol is alcohol. If you measured right, then you're not getting any more alcohol. It could be what you ate or didn't eat, it could be how tired you are or a number of other factors.

But I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe you're just drunk on satisfaction.

Old 04-26-2009, 01:20 AM   #3
RCCOLA
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlyn1 View Post
I would assume it is illegal for a company to misrepresent their ABV on their comercially sold product. My first brew, which I am now drinking, is an all around good beer. Good taste without any big off flavours, and my recalculated ABV puts me between 5-5.5%. Trouble is, one bottle of it and I can feel it! I'm not exactly a small person, nor do I have a very low alcohol tolderance, so this is confusing. I drank a 20-ish oz store bought dunkelweizen last night without a similar effect. That was 5.3% ABV on the label.

Of course, I don't MIND drinking my beer and getting a slight buzz
I've don'e the exact same thing.I think it's b/c you are so tuned in to how you feel with how much you drink when you are the one who brewed it.You will find sometimes even when you brew one that you know is only 4% alc.,that you will feel it more than you remember feeling after 1 BMC lite beer.
Just wait till a long brew day when you haven't had much to eat and you chug down one of those 8% belgians youv'e been aging or a big IPA and see what happens!!

Old 04-26-2009, 01:23 AM   #4
PintOfBitter
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Are you measuring ABV or ABW? ABV will be a higher number than ABW for the same beer. Your hydrometer gives you ABW.

No offense if you already knew this.

-PoB

Maybe you can use these Grain, Hops, Yeast Reference Charts
Come visit WildHopsPrintShop.com- custom bottle caps, beer glassware, tap handles, and more!

Old 04-26-2009, 01:28 AM   #5
RCCOLA
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by PintOfBitter View Post
Are you measuring ABV or ABW? ABV will be a higher number than ABW for the same beer. Your hydrometer gives you ABW.

You made me have to go look at my hydro.
Mine says POTENTIAL ALCOHOL BY VOLUME right on it.

Old 04-26-2009, 01:31 AM   #6
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCOLA View Post
You made me have to go look at my hydro.
Mine says POTENTIAL ALCOHOL BY VOLUME right on it.
And if you're using beersmith or something, it is all calculating ABV. ABW isn't very common anymore.

Old 04-26-2009, 01:36 AM   #7
Gremlyn
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PintOfBitter View Post

No worries, always beter to assume someone doesn't know something just in case Pretty sure my hydrometer was ABV, but I could be wrong. I'll double check on that tomorrow when I am back home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnevoodoo View Post
it is all perception. Alcohol is alcohol. If you measured right, then you're not getting any more alcohol. It could be what you ate or didn't eat, it could be how tired you are or a number of other factors.

But I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe you're just drunk on satisfaction.
My original calculation gave me 3.5%, but then I realised I didn't account for temp, so I went back and did it again. I figured there wouldn't be a commercial vs homebrew difference. Must be all in my head, maybe this means I can finally get drunk off of beer again! an't remember the last time I was able to do that

Quick Reply