New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Holy Nottingham Batman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2009, 10:48 PM   #21
khiddy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shay View Post
What temperatures are you guys fermenting at to get such big blowoffs?
Mid 60's. It went into the fermenter on Saturday evening in a 63 degree room. On Monday we had a hot streak that brought the room up to 73 or so, now back down into the low 60's. Last night (Thursday), the krausen had totally disappeared, and there haven't been any bubbles since Tuesday night - though I know that's immaterial.

The hydrometer read 1.020, my recipe said it should hit 1.015. I'll take another reading tonight, to see if it has budged at all.

Anyone know how much time Notty needs to clear up an explosive, possibly too hot fermentation? I'm not in any great hurry to get it out of primary, my kegging setup won't even arrive until Tuesday of next week. Ought I just leave it in primary for another full week?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2009, 04:50 AM   #22
magnj
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I used notty on my last two brews. The first a brown ale I simply rehydrated and pitched. Last week I rehydrated and made a big starter that got stepped up twice for what I expected to be a 1.100 RIS. Crazy fermentation.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:20 PM   #23
hezagenius
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I used Nottingham for the first time on Wednesday. I pitched it into an IPA wort around 75. The temp of the fermenter stayed around 75 the rest of the day. I went to the basement the next morning and the airlock was full of beer. Thankfully it only leaked a little bit onto the the lid. The lid itself was bowed upward significantly and was firm to the touch. Not sure how close it was to blowing the lid off. I had to rig up a makeshift blowoff hose by putting a racking cane into the 3-piece airlock shaft (my hoses wouldn't fit directly onto it) and then attaching a 3/8" hose to the racking cane into a jug of sanitized water. All day yesterday, the jug of water looked like it was boiling! The temperature of the fermenter yesterday was around 81. It is now back down to about 75. The lid is still bowed upward but I can now depress it and force out CO2 into the blowoff hose. Eventually it bows up again. This is some serious yeast!

Old 05-08-2009, 10:40 PM   #24
HSM
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Nottingham is the only yeast I use now. It has been reliable time after time and the price is certainly right.

"Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess is why several of us died of tuberculosis."
www.TheFreeSpeak.com

Quick Reply