Holy crap!!! - almost literally

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rev2010

Reaction score
I'm outside brewing and suddenly I thought some rain was starting as I heard something come down from the sky. Well it didn't start raining and then I noticed on the chairs I have setup arond my burner to block wind there was bird poop on them. There's also some bird poop that hit the side of my kettle! None went in as I was watching the boil at the time and would've seen it go in or a little splash, but man was that close. Honestly, being I've still got 30 minutes to go I still wouldn't have dumped it as the boil would killed anything but I would be bothered knowing it was there lol. Anyone have something similar happen? If it had gone in what would you have done?

Rev.

Honestly? I would have dumped it. Even with it hitting the side, there could have been splatter or something. I wouldn't intentionally drink feces boiled or not. I realize most people would probably do what you did though...

I've found acorns, leaves, bees, at the bottom of the kettle... never with any ill effects. Invest in one of those nice big camping covers to put up around your setup... most intended for camping are safe to cook under and it should provide some shelter from the elements and let you brew in a variety of weather... not to mention keep bird crap out.

I've still got 30 minutes to go I still wouldn't have dumped it as the boil would killed anything but I would be bothered knowing it was there lol.

I know most people are probably cavalier about it, but I became more cautious after hearing about this some time ago. I was also always taught that pathogens can be transmitted from animals and that they must be chemically treated instead of boiled. I guess we all have our own backgrounds that define our choices...

I know most people are probably cavalier about it, but I became more cautious after hearing about this some time ago. I was also always taught that pathogens can be transmitted from animals and that they must be chemically treated instead of boiled. I guess we all have our own backgrounds that define our choices...

That article doesn't have anything to do with animals feces nor boiling. That article talked about sewage and them cleaning it up.

I looked it up and avian flu, for example, and such is killed by boiling, or even being held at 140F for 60 minutes. An aggressive rolling boil of 213+ for 30 minutes I think is fair to say would kill anything harmful in it. Again though, I was actually looking at the boil when it happened and didn't see anything go in, I heard the sound of the impact and wasn't sure what had occurred until I looked and saw it. There was too much on the two chairs and a small streak midway down the side of the pot. I'm rather certain nothing did make it in but at this point am really not worried about it.

Can anyone else lend feedback on this?

Rev.

no way i would have dumped it.... every batch i have ever done has had dog hair in it... bird crap wouldnt bother me one bit

Name the brew Bird **** IPA, or whatever style you brewed. Will make a good conversation starter...lol.

Lol, it is a hefeweizen.... I probably wouldn't be so obvious as that... maybe "flying bird's surprise hefeweizen", or "Bird's revenge hefeweizen" or something like that lol.

But the way I name my beers currently is super simple. This one is H8, since it's the 8th hefeweizen recipe I designed. If I do them again with no changes they keep the same name, it's then just a rebrew.

Rev.

Back