Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > History of Beer in America

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2006, 06:27 AM   #21
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 631 Times on 394 Posts
Likes Given: 58

As for BMC - I had my first Bud Light (draft even!) in a long time this afternoon. Tasted even worse than I remember! I've strictly been drinking micros and homebrew for quite some time, so that was an unwelcome change. Whether the article that sparked this discussion is true or not, its defense of the so-called "American lager" is weak at best!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2006, 06:42 AM   #22
Ize
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage
As for BMC - I had my first Bud Light (draft even!) in a long time this afternoon. Tasted even worse than I remember! I've strictly been drinking micros and homebrew for quite some time, so that was an unwelcome change. Whether the article that sparked this discussion is true or not, its defense of the so-called "American lager" is weak at best!

LOL, while you were referring to the argument, the fact remains American Lagers ARE weak at best. But I think they have earned their place, as there ARE some decent American Lagers out there. (Bud Light on the other hand is NOT one.) It's our job to educate people tho and to realize that what BMC churns out is not all there is.

But in the end, and this is really the point, it's all about what you like personally.

Ize

Sig to re-open when it's less of an embarassment
What I do for a living on the web... www.wsoyam.com

Old 10-14-2006, 11:45 PM   #23
Brewnurse

Recipes 

Quote:
But in the end, and this is really the point, it's all about what you like personally.

Ize
+1

Stephen
Primary #1:Apple Cider(x2)
Secondary #1:Honey Stout (10 Gal)
Drinking, Ed's Original Apfelwein, Cheesefood's Ale, Krolsh, Ed's House Ale, Nut Brown
Kegged, B's Honey Wheat

Old 10-15-2006, 03:49 PM   #24
Reverend JC
2500 gallons year to date

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

of cours the BMCs have a place among us!!!! Who here has not had mass amounts of brew on say a game day or birthday or whatever? I am not above the coors or the buds out there. If you are going to get loaded why would you drink 10 micro brews when i am willing to bet that after the first 5 or 6 you could then start drinking the BMC brew and not tell the difference and soon after you are falling off your stool drunk.

I am willing to lay money on this as my last 5 clinical studies on this (husker games) have all proven to be true for me

"Just because i don't care dosen't mean I don't understand." -Homer Simpson

http://www.modernmonks.com

Old 10-15-2006, 04:49 PM   #25
Carne de Perro
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by G. Cretin
The first brewers in the U.S. were Native American. We have been here for thousands of years and ETOH madde from grain is not indigenous to Europe, it happened every where humans setteled.
I'm aware of a South American fermented drink made from corn that dates back to the (I think) Maya. The mashing method involved certain women in the community chewing corn and spitting the liquid into jars to ferment. The enzymes in their saliva would break the corn starch into sugars for the yeast. It's quite an.... inventive way to mash grain but I don't think I'll be trying it soon. Does anyone know if the North American continent had a similar drink?

I have some problems with the premise of this guy's theory. Besides the idea that Germans were the first brewers, he also stated that Americans wanted more consistancy. The problem is that before refrigeration and rail, that would have been impossible. Beer brewing was a local craft, with each town/house brewing their own for the resident's consumption. The plans for the American revolution were conspired in town brewhouses. Cider had it's place and from what I can tell was a way to preserve apples and warm the family over the long winter months. After the Revolution whiskey really took off as an anti-British reaction. Reason being that American whiskey was made of corn, a uniquely American grain, and thus helped draw another distinction between us and those folks over the pond. Whiskey also had another advantage over beer and raw corn: It was easily transportable. A farmer could take his corn, distill it into whiskey, and sell it for more cash than the corn would have sold for.

Getting back to beer, I don't think that even rail and refrigeration would have really popularized lagers very quickly. Being such recent inventions for a novelty product it would have driven the price beyond the reach of your average American farmer. I think I recall somewhere that canned beer was a product of WWII, as a cheap way to send brew to the GIs. Apologies in advance if this post seems snotty, not my intention.

Old 10-15-2006, 04:56 PM   #26
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Actually whiseky took off after the revelution because we could no longer get cheep molasses (for rum) from the Caribbean and because we had more corn then we new what to do with.

Old 10-15-2006, 05:07 PM   #27
Carne de Perro
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumbaa
Actually whiseky took off after the revelution because we could no longer get cheep molasses (for rum) from the Caribbean and because we had more corn then we new what to do with.
So far as I can recall, we were making whiskey long before the Revolution. While the molasses shortage may have led to an increase in whiskey demand, I subscribe to the theory that people will ferment and distill anything they can get their hands on. If you can get a copy of "The Alaskan Bootlegger's Bible", they have a recipe for horse turd whiskey (all distillation methods and recipes for historical purposes only ). My guess is that both rum and whiskey were made during the same time period.

Quick Reply