Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > History of Beer in America

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2006, 12:14 AM   #11
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 604 Times on 374 Posts
Likes Given: 54

I grew up in the heart of Pennsylvania Dutch Country (though I have no ancestral claims to the PA Dutch or the Amish communities) about halfway between Yuengling's brewery in Pottstown and the little Amish schoolhouse involved in recent horrible news.

For what it's worth, Yuengling claims to be the oldest operating brewery in the US, and it was started by a German immigrant. Order a "lager" from any bartender in my hometown, and you get a Yuengling. I realize that their mid 1820's heritage is far from the first beer brewers in America, but it confirms German brewing in the US almost 200 years ago. In addition, many of the historic sites and homes with German roots in the area date back to the 1600s. I'm guessing they were probably brewing beer way back then as well.

However, the claim that English brewing traditions were among the first in the US are probably also pretty accurate. My English last name and ancestry can be traced back to the 1600s in the same area as well. I could only hope that somehow I'm reviving a centuries old family tradition!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2006, 01:09 AM   #12
DesertBrew
You're not my type
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 147

I believe it was the history channel on brewing in the US that stated prior to WWII the pilsners in the US were pretty close to German & Czech Pils styles in late 19th / early 20th century. However with barley at a premium during the war they started doing the rice thing to lower costs. Corporate greed I'm sure decided why change back when it's cheaper than 100% barley. Thus our american BMC...

Old 10-13-2006, 01:26 AM   #13
Chairman Cheyco
***DRAMATIZATION***

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

The big breweries also made beers lighter during WWII to appeal more to women since they were the ones drinking most of it while the boys were out getting killed for our way of life.

Once the wind has been broken, it cannot be fixed.

Old 10-13-2006, 04:28 PM   #14
Ol' Grog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I find it kind of hard to believe that the this whole microbrews were started in S.F. with Anchor. There were lots of smaller breweries around in the mid to late
60's.

Old 10-14-2006, 01:14 AM   #15
G. Cretin
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The first brewers in the U.S. were Native American. We have been here for thousands of years and ETOH madde from grain is not indigenous to Europe, it happened every where humans setteled.

Old 10-14-2006, 01:21 AM   #16
G. Cretin
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sorry about the soap box. Tired of being called primative heathen.

Old 10-14-2006, 02:46 AM   #17
kc_lupo
Recipes 

Is it true that the first drink of Americans / piligrams was Hard Cider?

Old 10-14-2006, 03:47 AM   #18
sause
Steel Comma Ale & Lagery

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I doubt the first thing, but probably very much so in a couple year after they landed. It takes a while for those apple trees to grow enough to make a bunch of cider. Also cider take a while to mellow, but who know what their tastes were back then.

Old 10-14-2006, 04:03 AM   #19
disaffected
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I don't know if it was the first alcoholic beverage produced here, but rum was being distilled in the colonies as early as 1664 on Staten Island. The History Channel had a program about this a while back. Distilleries popped up everywhere in the New England states, and rum was produced in and imported from the Carribbean too. According to the History Channel program, rum was the most popular alcoholic beverage in the colonies and later in the US until the distilling of whiskey outpaced it. I think that's what they said, anyway.

Old 10-14-2006, 05:21 AM   #20
Ize

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Grog
I find it kind of hard to believe that the this whole microbrews were started in S.F. with Anchor. There were lots of smaller breweries around in the mid to late
60's.
There were still plenty of them even into the 70's. Until mass marketing by the big three started and enabled them to start swallowing the smaller breweries up. After that started, people started monkeying with the recipes of the smaller brews and the "mainstream" brands (who just happened to own the smaller labels) took even a firmer hold. That's what's truly sad. American style beers that are lost forever. I'm not saying they were all great, but I would bet that more than a few were decent beers that are now long gone. This is how it appears, if I am wrong please correct me.

However, and I forget where I read this, it was a long time ago. But A/B is guilty of messing around with a brand when they shouldn't have. Michelob at one time was a really good beer. Then someone in the early 80's thought it would be good to mess with it. Now it's changed completely. The Mich that you get now is only BARELY close to what they produced under that name in the 60's. They tried to customize it during the microbrew craze and screwed it up.

As for the popularity of microbrews starting with Anchor? Dunno. It's a damn good beer that's for sure. But I don't consider Anchor a "microwbrew" really....

Sheesh... I should have posted this in "Drunken Ramblings".

Ize

Sig to re-open when it's less of an embarassment
What I do for a living on the web... www.wsoyam.com

Quick Reply