Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Historical Beer Names

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2011, 12:34 PM   #1
Joemama474
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Historical Beer Names

I've been researching old breweries in my area. One in particular, the Darmstaetter Brewery, piqued my interest. According to what I can find, they brewed 4 varieties of beer there, Pilsener, Waldbrau, Tafel and Bayrisch.

I wanted to figure out what "styles" these were. Pilsener and Tafel were simple. Waldbrau turned out to be a hefe-weizen. But I can't seem to find anything about Bayrisch. I'm not as fluent in German as I used to be, but I understand what the word means, I just can't figure out what beer style this might be.

Anyone out there have any perspective on this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2011, 02:28 PM   #2
Nateo
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I assume it's a barley lager in the Bavarian style. It could have been a bock, marzen, or pale lager. Without more info, I don't think you can nail the specific style down. It's like the brewery saying they sold a "Belgian" or "British" beer.

To paraphrase Dr. England - "Off-flavors smooth with time. So do mountains. Brew it right from the start!"

My blogsite: http://nateobrew.blogspot.com/

Old 02-21-2011, 02:41 PM   #3
BigB
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 41

This is a guess, but it is likely a Helles. Weinstephaner was the Bavarian State beer for centuries. They were primarily known for producing a helles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrew
It's now degenerating into nu uh and uh huhs and it no longer serves a point.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:56 PM   #4
Joemama474
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB View Post
This is a guess, but it is likely a Helles. Weinstephaner was the Bavarian State beer for centuries. They were primarily known for producing a helles.
I was leaning towards that at first, but they were already selling a pils. That makes me wonder if it was an Amber lager or a dunkel-weizen. It would be the only "dark" beer they brewed which may be an argument for or against.

Old 02-21-2011, 03:44 PM   #5
BigB
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joemama474 View Post
I was leaning towards that at first, but they were already selling a pils. That makes me wonder if it was an Amber lager or a dunkel-weizen. It would be the only "dark" beer they brewed which may be an argument for or against.
Yeah, that would be a reasonable theory because it looks like the Brewery was established in 1865. By that time, the pale lagers hadn't really taken a strong foothold in Bavaria. The primary Bavarian beer was a dunkel lager up until the late 1800's. I guess it would really depend on when they actually made the Bayerisch product. I would be interested if you find out for sure. Interesting read about the brewery though. Prost!

Quote:

Old 02-21-2011, 09:35 PM   #6
Joemama474
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

While this is by no means conclusive, it seems to lend credence to the possibility that this "Bayrisch" was, in fact a Bayerische Dunkel, a dark lager. And it's a pretty good read, too. http://doctorbeer.com/jay/articles/btdunkel.htm

Old 02-21-2011, 10:57 PM   #7
BigB
Recipes 

Excellent read indeed! His essay is well supported with that huge list of citations too. I would have to agree that the most likely conclusion would be that it was what we would call today a Munich Dunkel.

Quote:

Old 02-21-2011, 11:32 PM   #8
Joemama474
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Which is cool. The great-grandson of the brewer lives about 10 miles from me. He's got some memorabilia, I guess. I shot him an e-mail, I'm hoping he gets back to me. I'd like to see what he knows about the old brewery.

Quick Reply