Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Hilarious Misinformation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2012, 09:25 PM   #21
TTB-J
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrewtastic View Post
For one, most people would agree that a decoction mash consists of removing part of the grain along with some of the liquid and boiling.
I don't necessarily agree with all of that. It's not as if removing the grain is the point, the point is getting enough liquid to boil to be able to raise the temperature of the mash. Either way, the fact that arguably reasonable people can differ on the meaning, which is likely enough to take that particular fact out of the "hilarious misinformation" category.

As for the 5 trappist breweries deal, I still don't think that is really that bad. I think everyone here can agree that there are 5 traditional, well-known, long-standing trappist breweries (Chimay, Orval, Rochefort, Westvleteren, and Westmalle). Of the other two, one was a historical trappist brewery that spent the better part of the last century not brewing and has only recently (in trappist terms) started back up again; the other was stripped of it's trappist logo during the early 2000's and isn't located in Belgium. The official naming and branding of trappist beers didn't really start until the late 1990's.

Oh well, I guess it's not a big deal - I just don't think this is all that bad for someone trying to come up with some very general info.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2012, 09:32 PM   #22
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4695 Times on 4350 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Darker beer being "stronger" does not have to have anything to do with ABV.

"Stronger" can also be a perception of bolder flavor. Stout is synonymous as having stronger flavors than "most" lighter colored beer.

Thus, I do not see any of those statements as being blatantly wrong or misinformed but they are definitely oversimplified and vague.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:54 PM   #23
weirdboy
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 349 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
Darker beer being "stronger" does not have to have anything to do with ABV.

"Stronger" can also be a perception of bolder flavor. Stout is synonymous as having stronger flavors than "most" lighter colored beer.
This point would be more valid if stout was the only dark beer. A Dark American Lager has virtually no flavor compared to an American Pale Ale.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:51 PM   #24
Pilgarlic
Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 36

All seven of the current Trappist breweries were Trappist breweries when they came together to establish the Trappist designation in 1997.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:25 AM   #25
Homebrewtastic
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTB-J

Oh well, I guess it's not a big deal - I just don't think this is all that bad for someone trying to come up with some very general info.
I guess that's why our view differs. I don't think that the info should be "general" it needs to be more detailed as this is a training tool for an actual certification. I obviously don't expect it to be as detailed as the cicerone program as this one is for beer wine and spirits.

But as this is a third party training module I think they are doing the trainees a disservice because on the test it won't be "how many well known Trappist breweries exist?" it will be "how many Trappist breweries exist?".
Bottled: Epik Barleywine, Chocolate Chili Pumpkin Porter, EKG Amber
Adventures in Zymurgy - Homebrewing and Sour Beer Blog

Old 02-24-2012, 12:38 AM   #26
Teromous
Beer Gnome

Recipes 

Liked 298 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Big fish, little pond. This effect happens in many fields, in many ways. Sorry it happened to you

Old 02-24-2012, 12:45 AM   #27
VTDuffman
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
But as this is a third party training module I think they are doing the trainees a disservice because on the test it won't be "how many well known Trappist breweries exist?" it will be "how many Trappist breweries exist?".
Now that you mention it, I just thought of something...

I'd be willing to bet that it's not the training materials that are wrong, it's the test itself. Third Party Test preparation material vendors aren't in the business of giving you the "right answers" according to the world, they're in the business of giving you the "right answers" according to the test. Good angle, I bet that's the problem.

The reason the test prep materials are telling you that there are 5 Trappist breweries, it's because if the test asks you how many Trappist breweries there are, it expects you to answer "5."

Old 02-24-2012, 01:43 AM   #28
IffyG
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
And how is that a mostly correct perception of the style lambic? Sure lambics are made with wheat and some are made with fruit but when you think lambic do you consider those two to be it's defining characteristics? I highly doubt it.

I should note that the training materials weren't actually provided from the WSET at all. Rather this is a group of training modules put together by the vendor to prep their own employees for the WSET.
Ask anyone to name a lambic, they are going to name a Lindemans product. They have a higher percentage of wheat than the majority of other beers and contain fruit.

As best as I can tell, the goal of WSET examinations is to make someone proficient enough to serve a beer/wine/spirit in restaurant setting with a bit of background knowledge. I fail to see how their definition of lambic doesn't meet that need.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:46 AM   #29
IffyG
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTDuffman View Post
The reason the test prep materials are telling you that there are 5 Trappist breweries, it's because if the test asks you how many Trappist breweries there are, it expects you to answer "5."
Ding ding ding... we have a winner.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:48 AM   #30
wailingguitar
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 425

Quote:
Originally Posted by IffyG View Post
Ask anyone to name a lambic, they are going to name a Lindemans product. They have a higher percentage of wheat than the majority of other beers and contain fruit.

\
Every bottle Lindeman's I have had, as well as every draught, has been pretty effervescent ... definitely not low in carbonation as they claim

"Why did you.... what was the point of... how drunk were you when you decided this was a good idea?" - DMartin

Quick Reply