Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > High Water Bill

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2009, 07:38 PM   #1
erock2112
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default High Water Bill

Hey guys. I just got my first water bill in my first apartment. It seems extremely high, and I'm wondering if it's my brewing or if there might be some other sort of problem. The bill lists my usage as 4380 over 26 days.

Sewer usage $24.80
Water usage $34.97
Total $59.77

I'm in a two-bedroom apartment with another guy. I brew every 1-3 weeks, usually every 2. I don't feel like I waste too much water when brewing. I brew with tap water, probably around 10 gal total. I typically use the first 5 gals of output from my wort chiller to clean, and the rest goes in the sink. I mix 2.5 gal of sanitizer. The only think I can think of is that the 25 min of chilling must use a lot more water than I expected. How much does brewing increase your water bill?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2009, 07:40 PM   #2
Rick500
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

I'd bet on a leak... check the toilets first.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:41 PM   #3
Scut_Monkey
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

I have not noticed much of an increase but I only get to brew 1/month. It would definitely be your chiller that would use the large majority of water during a brew day. Next time you chill see how long it takes to fill up a 5 gallon bucket and use that to determine how much you are using for the chill.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:43 PM   #4
springer

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

even at 100 gallons a brew session (way high) and brewing every week thats only 400 gallons. I would say a leak I dont use that much in my home with 3 adults and one 16 month old.

Edit: and my two sons do their laundry at my home also ... You are using an average of 168 gallon a day.

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Old 10-07-2009, 07:46 PM   #5
Pluto035
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I had the same problem as you when I moved into my apartment. You are probably being charged part of the last tenants water bill. When I moved into my apartment my first water bill was 55 dollars and the second month it dropped to 23 and I didn't change anything, I asked the water company and they said that it was probably because I moved in half way between billing cycles.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:48 PM   #6
Talloak
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

4380 is really, really high for 2 adults. It seems your sewage is high as well, which means the water isn't leaking into the ground somewhere, it is leaking past the meter and then going into your sewer system and registering on that meter. This means you are getting dinged twice for it, once going into the apartment and once going out. Does the toilet run after you flush it? A toilet like that can waste a couple gallons an hour which means an extra one or two thousand gallons a month.

'Allow 6-8 weeks for delivery'

Thinking about: California Common, Fat Squirrel Clone
Fermenting: Greenbelt Pale Ale
Conditioning:
Aging: Strong Scotch Ale, Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison

Old 10-07-2009, 07:51 PM   #7
springer

Recipes 

and tell your roommate to stop rubbing one off in the shower

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Old 10-07-2009, 07:56 PM   #8
JesseRC
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talloak View Post
4380 is really, really high for 2 adults. It seems your sewage is high as well, which means the water isn't leaking into the ground somewhere, it is leaking past the meter and then going into your sewer system and registering on that meter. This means you are getting dinged twice for it, once going into the apartment and once going out. Does the toilet run after you flush it? A toilet like that can waste a couple gallons an hour which means an extra one or two thousand gallons a month.

Huh? Tell me it isnt so? Is there really a meter for you sewage. In Texas, or atleast here in SA, there's no such meter for sewage, they just average you winter months water usage and assume that is also your sewage usage.

Jesse

Primaries: Mojave Red (AG)
Kegs: Hibiscus Saison (AG), Orange Kolsch (AG) , Cocunut Porter
Future Brew: Wee Heavy

Old 10-07-2009, 07:58 PM   #9
velotech
Recipes 

Ha, I just got a bill for over $200 just for my water. Only 2 adult in our house also. They said I used over 55,000 gallons in the 3rd quarter!!! They're coming out because they think I might have a leak??? I think I would notice a leak that big. I think their measuring system is flawed.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:59 PM   #10
springer

Recipes 

They most likely use some type of equation to get the sewer wast water amounts. A meter wouldn't really work out to well with solids ... eeeewww

Quick Reply