Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > High hop aroma/flavor without high bitterness

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2009, 11:20 PM   #1
Ale to the Chief
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default High hop aroma/flavor without high bitterness

If I wanted to brew a beer that had a pronounced hop aroma and flavor without adding much bitterness, what would be the best way to do it?

What differences could be expected from adding hops at flameout vs dry hopping?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2009, 11:25 PM   #2
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Lots of late hops. I brew an IPA with 1/2 lb of pellet hops per 5gal batch. I prefer simcoe:

2oz dry
1.5oz flameout
1.5oz 5min
1oz 10min
1oz 15min
1oz 35min

If you eliminated that 35min addition it would be pretty low IBU's. I actually shift that 35min addition +/- 5mins to adjust for AA% and get the correct IBU's. As far as the difference between dry and flameout hops, both contribute strongly to the aroma and somewhat to the flavor, but the aromas and flavors will be slightly different. Dry hops can give more grassy/raw hop flavor IMO.

On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Old 12-16-2009, 11:27 PM   #3
tonkota
Recipes 

Have you tried different hops? Some hops like Centennial were bred more for aroma and some were bred for bitterness.

Arron - quality over quantity beer drinker

Quick Reply