Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Hiatus - back to brewing after a leave of absence

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2007, 12:55 PM   #11
LouT
Can't wait to go AG...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Welcome back to brewing!

Primary - California Common -finally!
Secondary - nothing, back after year plus hiatus
Keg carbing & conditioning - nada
Drinking - store bought: Loose Cannon IPA, Wachusett IPA.
On deck: Trying to decide (beer); wine kit likely (red wine)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2007, 02:02 PM   #12
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 266 Times on 139 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I brewed my first batch in 1987 and continued till I brewed my last back in Provo, Utah in March 1999. Since then I lived in Alabama and Texas where it's hot and basements are rare. I finally lived up to a promise to contribute to a neighborhood brew fest last year and made my first batch of Apfelwein in 7 years. That was early July 2006.

Since then, I have made 47 gallons of Apfelwein and have brewed 10 batches of beer, 8 of which have been All Grain. Going All Grain has changed my life.

Old 03-15-2007, 02:17 PM   #13
Ol' Grog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I started brewing late last year, first time period. I'm 43 with a 3 year old and a 18 year old......don't ask....new marriage, new baby.....anyway, I work for the Department of Defense and have traveled all over the States and Europe. I had made a point to visit every microbrewery I could during those times because I thought they were so much better than BMC. Just last year I finally got around to surfing the internet on brewing and low and behold, home brew pops up. I knew then and there that my purpose in life had been finally forfilled. I have my three year old help me when it's possible...stir the wort, rinse out the kegs, etc. etc. but never EVER get "stupid drunk" around her. Want her to see that having a brew is OK and it can be controlled without getting stupid. Something like "College chicks gone wild" and my daughter just don't sit right with me, so I got some time to teach her. Plus, my father and his father were staunch alcoholics. Got a boat load of bad memories that I am not going to put her through.
Anyway, been brewing like a dog in heat since around September last year. Have 14 extracts under my belt and each of them is getting better. I am starting to learn my likes and dislikes.

Old 03-15-2007, 05:07 PM   #14
mountainrev
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Grog
I have my three year old help me when it's possible...
Just be prepared for a phone call from the school office when she tells her Kindergarten class that she helped daddy make beer over the weekend

"Give beer to those who are perishing." -- Proverbs 31:6

• In Primary:
  • In Secondary: Bavarian Dunkel Lager
  • In Secondary: Pyramid ESB Clone
  • In Bottles: Cherry Stout

Old 03-16-2007, 03:29 PM   #15
LouT
Can't wait to go AG...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort
I brewed my first batch in 1987 and continued till I brewed my last back in Provo, Utah in March 1999. Since then I lived in Alabama and Texas where it's hot and basements are rare. I finally lived up to a promise to contribute to a neighborhood brew fest last year and made my first batch of Apfelwein in 7 years. That was early July 2006.

Since then, I have made 47 gallons of Apfelwein and have brewed 10 batches of beer, 8 of which have been All Grain. Going All Grain has changed my life.
12 years straight of brewing then a 7 year hiatus - Gosh, I can see how AG could change your life!

Primary - California Common -finally!
Secondary - nothing, back after year plus hiatus
Keg carbing & conditioning - nada
Drinking - store bought: Loose Cannon IPA, Wachusett IPA.
On deck: Trying to decide (beer); wine kit likely (red wine)

Quick Reply