The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Hi my name is aaron, and I am a brewaholic

View Poll Results: addicted?
YES! 139 81.29%
no 9 5.26%
I can quit any time! 23 13.45%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2009, 10:37 PM   #1
aaronbeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Hi my name is aaron, and I am a brewaholic

Hi my name is Aaron, and I am a brewaholic. Who else finds themselves finding reasons to order things online when you really dont need them? Or brewing beer you have no room for? This hobby started as a simple and cheap hobby. Boy was I wrong!!!!!!!! It starts innocent then you start wanting more things to make better beer and then you are not satisfied with extract, you want all grain. I have spent every dime I have on this "hobby" and am loving every bit of it.

I went from the simple online kit to brewing 30 gallons in 2 months to build a fermentation chamber to buying everything i can for all grain......whats next!

Anyone have any good stories about there hobby/passion/addiction/lifestyle?

I cant stop buying supplies! It's a sickness!!!! First the beginner supplies, then some upgrades, then a fermentation chamber, and now all grain! When will it stop?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2009, 10:42 PM   #2
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I have 14 cornies full, with only two taps. You be the judge.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:47 PM   #3
Tripod
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Totally addicted and I hope it NEVER stops!

I started because the lovely better-half bought a starter kit for my birthday. She anticipated that I would start upgrading right away so she went ahead and got things like the auto-syphon, a bench capper, glass carboy, etc. that she knew I would get anyway!

I've already started with the tub and aquarium heater for the "swamp-cooler" method. I planning a chamber and building a stirplate. I'm even scoping out a section of the back yard to pour a slab and build a brew hut! I can't decide if the hobby has consumed me or if it was already there and just brought it out of me..either way I love brewing and I can't get enough of it!

Here's to the addiction.

-Tripod

Primary: First AG Batch! - Irish Red | Bottle: Oatmeal Stout| Drinking: Nearcastle II... | Up Next: It may be time to try a lager

5/2012

Old 03-18-2009, 10:49 PM   #4
mosquitocontrol
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I actually started by buying a kit for my fiance for his birthday. Turns out I'm the brewer and he just enjoys the reward. Best birthday present I ever bought someone else!

Old 03-18-2009, 11:39 PM   #5
mosyslack
doesn't drink...hahaha
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Hi Aaron!

Welcome to the club. My wife and I are were driving around the area just looking/exploring some ares I had not seen yet. All of the homes that were for sale, I was envisioning where the brewery would go (not enough space in the current home). I have decided that the next house we buy, has to have the detached garage with the apartment/living quarters above... instant brewery, just add equipment.

If you buy a house based on room for a brewery... you might be an addict

Drinking: 3rd Shift Breakfast Stout, store bought

Old 03-19-2009, 12:54 AM   #6
silvervan83
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosyslack View Post

If you buy a house based on room for a brewery... you might be an addict
I lay carpet for a living and I'm in a different house three to five times a week. The ABSOLUTE FIRST thing I think about when I get started is "If I owned this house where would my brewery be".

Also, I had to sleep on the couch for a couple days cause I spent the last $1200 I made on upgrading my setup and buying grain..... Still don't know if that was worth it.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:47 PM   #7
caspio
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Just finished a bulk grain buy the other day, added 315# of grain to the 200 or so I already had. Completely took over the closet in the spare room that's supposed to belong to SWMBO. At least she said she likes the smell of grain
"What's that new perfume you're wearing honey?" "60Love"

Old 03-19-2009, 04:02 PM   #8
TwoHeadsBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm slowly getting over my binge I think. I mean, I did just buy $250 worth of bulk grain and a new keg MLT...but after that I won't need to spend money on brewing for a while. Well, except for hops and yeast. And I guess I still need to put one more tap in the kegerator. For a while there, I was going pretty crazy over brewing, but now that I've got my kegerator setup, fermentation chiller, plenty of corny kegs, and enough grain to last me the rest of the year I'm feeling a bit more "peaceful". Also, every one of my carboys is full and my kegerator is completely full as well. Even if I wanted to brew there would be nowhere to put it. Hmmm, unless I got another fridge...cya guys, I'm off to craigslist!

Fermenting: ESB
Kegged: Extra IPA, Brown Ale, American Wheat, Blackheart Stout
Coming Up: Dunkleweizen, 3C Pale Ale

DIY Fermentation Chamber
More Brew Stuff

Old 03-19-2009, 04:12 PM   #9
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I, too, am a brewaholic.

Old 03-19-2009, 05:39 PM   #10
aaronbeer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah I keep saying "ok that's all I need to buy for awhile!". But that never happens!!!!!

I cant stop buying supplies! It's a sickness!!!! First the beginner supplies, then some upgrades, then a fermentation chamber, and now all grain! When will it stop?

Quick Reply