Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Hey Portlanders! Whats your favorate area brewery?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2010, 12:08 AM   #1
Shinglejohn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default Hey Portlanders! Whats your favorate area brewery?

Im heading out to portland for my summer vaca this year and am curious as to what everyones favorite breweries are in the area?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2010, 12:10 AM   #2
SumnerH
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 5

#1 Allagash
#2 Maine Brewing Company

Absolutely don't miss Novare Res or the Great Lost Bear; those are 2 of the top beer bars in the country.

Geary's is worth a visit for the history, but the two aforementioned are by far the best breweries in the area.

On deck: Little Bo Pils, Bretta Off Dead (Brett pale)
Secondary: Oude Bruin, Red Sky at Morning (Sour brown ale)
On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Old 07-20-2010, 12:23 AM   #3
Shinglejohn
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 11

POrtland Oregon, sorry.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:03 AM   #4
spatman
Recipes 

Likes Given: 7

one of my faves:

http://www.uprightbrewing.com/

Old 07-20-2010, 03:54 AM   #5
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

Go to Green Dragon which is a brewery but you aren't there because it is.

Hopworks is very good, they make flaw free beer which is sadly not the norm in Portland.

I used to right off Laurelwood, but I was there last year and the beers were very good.

Hit the Pearl District and do Bridgeport, Deschutes (Satellite brewpub) and Rogue (bar and distillery). If df is still open they make pretty interesting food, as does Andina.

The bar at Higgins is the best place to drink beer in Portland, if not the world.

Enjoy the 37th best beer city in the country!

Old 07-20-2010, 05:25 AM   #6
MattHollingsworth
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I'd argue that The Horse Brass is the best place to drink beer in Portland. Over 45 taps (dunno how many now, haven't been there in years) and ALL of them craft beers, and usually a couple of beers on cask. Worth checking out for a good cross section of local beers in one location. Nice bar too.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:44 PM   #7
telejunkie
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Not a local but couldn't help but jumping in. Had a tough time not finding a place I enjoyed...got a tour of the Rock Bottom brewery by the BM Van...he was a character, & enjoyed his beers if you're into more session/Euro styled beers. Deschutes was incredible, Rogue had an impressive line-up. I could have skipped Full Sail pub, but the happy hour prices on fish tacos made the trip there well worth it. Laurelwood got big thumbs up...unfortunately never got over to Hopworks or sampled Ninkasi.
Horse Brass was a great beer bar, i've been to better in different parts of the country but a good one overall.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:14 PM   #8
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHollingsworth View Post
I'd argue that The Horse Brass is the best place to drink beer in Portland. Over 45 taps (dunno how many now, haven't been there in years) and ALL of them craft beers, and usually a couple of beers on cask. Worth checking out for a good cross section of local beers in one location. Nice bar too.
I'm not really a tap counter (Horse Brass is nothing special via that metric anyway, and Green Dragon probably has more) but I do like Horse Brass. I couldn't stand it before the smoking ban.

For my preferences Higgins has much better food, a much better atmosphere, and it's on the West Side and I have a West Side bias.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:43 PM   #9
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 312 Times on 310 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHollingsworth View Post
looks like a nice place, I will keep that in mind the next time I am up there too.

tap list
http://www.horsebrass.com/?page_id=365

Old 07-20-2010, 05:04 PM   #10
Hellfish76
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

The Horse Brass is nice, but Henry's Tavern on 12th has over 100 beers on tap. Plus they have a ice ring around the bar to keep your beer cold.

As far as brewery's, they've been mentioned but Hopworks is great, Rogue is worth going to, and Deschutes is also fun. The New Old Lompoc looks rather divey, but has some really good beer as well.

Quick Reply