Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Heretic Brewing Co.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2011, 06:50 PM   #31
Montanaandy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Default Summit Hops...

Reading in Chris Kennedy's post that Heretic's Evil Cousin uses (at least in part) Summit hops. That may be the turn off for some - at least based on my own personal experience with Summit. "Dank" is a good way of describing Summit. This is one hop that I have not been able to wrap my taste buds around.

I tried Oskar Blues Gubna which is brewed exclusively with Summit. Sorry, but the nicest thing I can say about it is that it was not my cup of tea. Choked the 4 pack down because there was no way I was going to pay $10 for a 4 pack of beer and not drink it. Was analogous to drinking malty cold onion soup out of a can. In hindsight, I should have saved it to cook with - the oniony flavor and aroma would have been fantastic in making gravy for a pressure cooked pot roast.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2011, 05:03 AM   #32
cbraun77s
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have enjoyed both Evil Twin and Cousin this evening way out in Pennsylvania! Shout out to Heretic and Beerjobber for making that happen. I agree with the idea that the "disappointment" that some describe stems from how dry the beers are. I find them desirable and a sign of great fermentation. Now I will say that I am sampling bottles of Heretic as opposed to on draft in CA. However, these are incredibly fresh samples. My only slight negative was the Cousin was a little high on carbonation. Overall, I think these are two great beers, with a Evil Twin being stellar. Will sample Shallow Grave this week as well. Will re-post.

Old 12-27-2011, 05:11 AM   #33
Ramitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 158

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddyBrew View Post
You left coasters have a lot of nice brews out there...I'm a little jealous
I am too, but we are pretty lucky to have some great brews from 3floyds and Upland local.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:40 PM   #34
jammin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 211 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 142

Bump'n this ol' thread -

I'm already a BIG fan of the Evil Twin and finally got to try the Evil Cousin -

BOOOM - Hop Monster for sure. Loved every sip of it. Danky hops is a perfect description. Very well crafted though(genious?). This Evil Cousin was very inspiring to me as a home brewer, as was the Evil Twin.

Heretic is coming to Boise next month - can't wait to hang and do a tasting with them!

Old 04-24-2012, 12:38 AM   #35
mxpx5678
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I just didnt like this beer at all, I am not sure if i got a bad bottle or what. It tasted like it had been dry hopped with onions and garlic. I love me some Pliny the elder, but this was really undrinkable. Is that just the summit hops that I don't enjoy?

Old 04-24-2012, 01:34 AM   #36
Irrenarzt
HNIC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 156 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Evil Cousin is a good DIPA IMO. I do not think it contains Summit as I talked to Chris (the brewmaster at Heretic, Jamil is always out being the salesman/president/PR rep guy) and he said nothing of Summit when I was up there last. My sister lives very close to Handles and I've had it there a number of times. The brunette with the nice rack is a great server (Kara I think). Yum.

It's possible they sneak in a bit of Summit but by no means is it like Gubna. I am a huge Summit hater as previous posts will show. I have been vocal about my hatred for that filthy hop strain. I usually pick it out in a beer, even if it is used very sparingly. I did not get this with Evil Cousin and I have had it on numerous occasions.

Old 04-24-2012, 04:49 AM   #37
mxpx5678
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irrenarzt
Evil Cousin is a good DIPA IMO. I do not think it contains Summit as I talked to Chris (the brewmaster at Heretic, Jamil is always out being the salesman/president/PR rep guy) and he said nothing of Summit when I was up there last. My sister lives very close to Handles and I've had it there a number of times. The brunette with the nice rack is a great server (Kara I think). Yum.

It's possible they sneak in a bit of Summit but by no means is it like Gubna. I am a huge Summit hater as previous posts will show. I have been vocal about my hatred for that filthy hop strain. I usually pick it out in a beer, even if it is used very sparingly. I did not get this with Evil Cousin and I have had it on numerous occasions.
I just had it again at hopyard in Pleasanton. It was ok. Better than the bottle I had. In that it was actually drinkable. There is still a slight garlicky/onion taste to it that I don't love but it at least is an ipa that I can drink

Old 04-24-2012, 04:51 AM   #38
erockomania
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Definitely summit in there, but they recently changed the recipe again which I believe contains significantly less summit.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:09 AM   #39
ryno84
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Found Heretic is stocked at local liquor store. So far, I've had Evil Twin and Shallow Grave. I was unsure about evil twin at first, but it really got better as I drank it. Good balance. The porter is good also. I have a bottle of the IIPA but haven't had it yet. A little worried bc I usually don't like huge hop profiles. But I will give it a shot.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:52 AM   #40
House12
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

The hop profile for Evil Cousin has changed numerous times since they started. The reason why it initially contained Summit was based mostly on hop availability. When they first started brewing, they hadn't started their hop contracts yet (i.e. Simcoe). They have since dropped the Summit due to the availability of other hops and probably also because of public response (though they have possibly added a bit back in there for the few of us who miss its dankness). In my opinion, the first release of Cousin was the best DIPA I've tasted. It is still one of the best, but whenever I drink the new stuff, it just doesn't hit me like the first few tulips of it I had when they started. It used to have that heretical quality of being nothing like a Pliny clone.

Evil Twin is their best seller. Shallow Grave is just a glorious beer. As a belgian fan myself, I cannot speak highly enough of Heretic's Worry, and I will definitely be there whenever and wherever Torment (their belgian dark strong) is released.

Quick Reply