Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Heretic Brewing Co.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2011, 05:15 PM   #21
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 230 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apendecto View Post
Seems like a bad idea to bring beer you weren't really happy with to a place where all sorts of people are going to get their first impressions.
I think with NHC Jamil had pretty much committed to having it there. So, it might not have been quite where they wanted it, but I thought it was very drinkable.

Chris, thanks for the update! I see that Handles and The Hopyard in my area both have the beer on tap. Glad to see it's getting out there.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2011, 05:26 PM   #22
LVBen
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunhog View Post
I think the thing that Heretic has working against it is that everyone is expecting huge things right from the start!! Jamil is like the top draft pick in the NFL and everybody is "expecting" him to do great things from the start. People are appproaching the beers with so much anticipation that I think it would be hard to live up to the "hype". They want world class beer NOW!! Pretty hard to do....even if you are Jamil.
Well said!!!

I can't wait to get my hands on some Heretic brews. I look forward to seeing some out here in Las Vegas.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:19 AM   #23
erockomania
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I've had Evil Cousin all over the bay area and it's my favorite IIPA right now. No question. When it's fresh, it's remarkably complex and wonderfully aromatic. I've turned about a half dozen friends onto this beer and they are all head over heels for it. Had it freshly tapped at a Heretic pint night at EJ Phairs in Pittsburg and it was absolutely phenomenal. Got to chat with Jamil for quite a while as well. Super cool dude. Do yourself a favor and give this another try if you weren't super sure about it the first time... It may have been tweaked a little since they first started brewing it. Oh, and if you go to a place that doesn't know how to pour an IPA, ask for some head (wait, that sounded bad)... If you don't, you are missing out on half the fun... The aroma!

Eric

Old 11-16-2011, 04:23 AM   #24
LarryC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Anybody know how far their distribution goes? I'm down in San Diego and haven't seen it around yet...

Old 11-16-2011, 04:25 AM   #25
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 230 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Had the Evil Cousin at Handles a couple weeks back and it was some powerful stuff!!

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 11-16-2011, 04:39 AM   #26
erockomania
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryC View Post
Anybody know how far their distribution goes? I'm down in San Diego and haven't seen it around yet...
Find Some

Old 12-09-2011, 01:04 AM   #27
r2eng
IPA - it's all about the burps
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I had this one tonight (well, right now actually). Well made beer. I like it...

However, the hop profile is not "floatin' my boat". The turpentiney/tropical taste I get is not my favorite. I will be easily finishing this beer, and the hop profile is similar to others (Green Flash, for one).

Anyone know what hops this is?

Old 12-09-2011, 07:09 PM   #28
supe_kitchen
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Had all three at GABF and was also disappointed (although my expectations were sky high). Tasted a little young, but since it is JZ I have to give the benefit of the doubt. I just hope they taste better next year.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:57 PM   #29
WalkingStickMan
Recipes 

Have any of you had any of JZ's homebrews? I think that that would be an area that was fairer to be hypercritical. Jamil's advice has always been specific to homebrewing; commercial brewing is something that's brand new for him, and I would assume requires some getting used to, time to work out the kinks, etc. If his homebrew was disappointing, that would be one thing (and definitley alarming considering the blind faith I exhibit regarding his advice!). But we're talking about his commercial brews, and I for one am willing to give him some time and space to figure things out. I've had the Evil Twin and Evil Cousin (ordered from Beerforia), and have enjoyed both. I trust that, given a few more months or so, Heretic beer is going to get even better.

(P.S.- Has anyone actually had one of his homebrews? As good as I'd imagine?)

Old 12-10-2011, 12:16 AM   #30
r2eng
IPA - it's all about the burps
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Finishing off Evil Twin Red Ale: I love this beer!!

Just not a fan of the IIPA's hop choice. Evil Twin rocks, IMO.

Quick Reply