Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Heretic Brewing Co.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2011, 12:03 PM   #11
dnslater
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Northern sells kits that clone this beer.

Trash Paper Brew Werks

Shirts and stuff

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2011, 07:04 PM   #12
ndsgr
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I believe I have had Tafelbully. I want it on tap at my house, or at least a clone.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:26 PM   #13
Sacreddog717
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Went back this Sunday and had a couple more Evil Cousin's and I'm really liking it.

Old 10-02-2011, 05:49 PM   #14
Apendecto
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 19

At the GABF, I was thrilled to see Jamil's brews there. Evil Twin, Tafebully and Evil Cousin were all there and sampled.

I couldn't have been more disappointed. I really thought Mr. Malty himself would brew better beer. They all ranked as some of the worst I had there. His beers were aggressive and seemed really young to me. Who knows if this is true, but I felt like they'd all be better in few weeks.

I was really shocked about Evil Twin. I've seen a recipe from him with the same name (who knows if it's the same brew) and it was all 20 minute or less hop additions. His thought was to pack it full of aroma and chill out on the bitterness. It was exactly the opposite. Horribly bitter (and I love hops) and strange. I really don't know how else to describe it. I was less than impressed. Way less.

Old 10-02-2011, 05:59 PM   #15
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I wonder if it was another young batch? I know he wasn't that happy with the NHC kegs and felt they needed a bit more time. I thought the Evil Twin was decent. The Tafelbully was fine, just not my style of beer. I saw him later that week and mentioned that I enjoyed the beer. He was thankful, but you could almost read in his face that he wasn't completely happy with it. I wonder if they're still dealing with timing of their batches and learning how much they need to brew and when in order to keep their pipelines full?

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 10-02-2011, 06:14 PM   #16
Apendecto
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Seems like a bad idea to bring beer you weren't really happy with to a place where all sorts of people are going to get their first impressions.

Old 10-02-2011, 06:27 PM   #17
makomachine
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm a JZ fan, as he is responsible for a bulk of my brewing education. That said, beer at GABF should meet the same standards as the locations that it's served on tap to paying customers. This sounds like QC problems that I can't help but think makes itself into the sold product.

Upcoming Brews: Surley Furious Clone, Uintah Wyld

Old 10-02-2011, 10:34 PM   #18
thegerm
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

sounds to me like a brand new brewery working out their processes and recipes. I hope heretic is successful and can't wait to see it on the east coast.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:58 PM   #19
ChrisKennedy
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

The beers appear very divisive right now.

Evil Twin is indeed all late hops, we are just struggling with the amount of IBUs we are getting from an extended hot stand. We are getting 65-75 IBUs with all the hops going in at 5mins or flameout.

Evil Cousin is intentially aggressive, but just as divisive as the Twin. Not everyone likes dry, dank IPAs or beers made with summit.

I don't know what to say about them being the worst you tried at the GABF unless you let expectations overcome reality. In their current state, I think they are fine beers, and many do seem to enjoy them. We also both believe that all of our beers need work, and will continue to be worked on until both of us believe that they are perfect. So in other words, we will always be tweaking them.

Thanks for your comments regardless, the feedback is useful. I just hope you will give us another try in the future to see if we have improved and more meet your expectations for what JZ's beer should taste like.

And we wouldn't have served beer we weren't happy with. Your opinion on the beer, while perfectly valid and valuable to us, is not universal. While I am sure you are not the only one that hated the beer, there were indeed plenty of people that seemed to enjoy it. But the divisiveness of the beer is certainly not ideal for us as a company.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:45 AM   #20
Phunhog
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Just goes to show that everyone has their own individual tastes and no one can claim a beer in general is "awful". The beer that you think is awful could be another beer drinker's "desert island" beer. The "one" they couldn't live without. I am sure some of Heretic's beers, just like any brewery, fit this description. I think the thing that Heretic has working against it is that everyone is expecting huge things right from the start!! Jamil is like the top draft pick in the NFL and everybody is "expecting" him to do great things from the start. People are appproaching the beers with so much anticipation that I think it would be hard to live up to the "hype". They want world class beer NOW!! Pretty hard to do....even if you are Jamil.

Check out my nanobrewery!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Two-Trees-Brewing-Co/102323289804018

Quick Reply