Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Here goes ... need opinions on types of beer for virgin palate

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2012, 09:47 PM   #21
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4342 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

I'd go the other way, and say if you've been brewing and tried various beers, and don't like them, then you don't like beer.

That's ok.

Make wine, mead, or cider for yourself.

It sounds crazy to people who think beer is like heaven, but I believe that some people simply don't care for it.

Some people love cilantro, some don't. Some people love beer, some don't. That's fine.

Waynep005 Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 09:54 PM   #22
Waynep005
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I'd go the other way, and say if you've been brewing and tried various beers, and don't like them, then you don't like beer.

That's ok.

It sounds crazy to people who think beer is like heaven, but I believe that some people simply don't care for it.

Some people love cilantro, some don't. Some people love beer, some don't. That's fine.
I agree that you should not eat or drink what you do not like. That said it is worth trying it every once in a while to see if your tastes have changed.

"Stupid Should Hurt"

Old 11-04-2012, 11:15 PM   #23
JRems
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I would try a youngs chocolate stout. It's barely a beer it's like drinking a desert.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:42 PM   #24
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 374 Times on 247 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Where do you live? I think instead of trying to brew 5 gallons of beer you may like, perhaps you should try 12 oz of well made beer.

You may not like beer, you may not have had the style of beer you like. My personal experience with my girlfriend who was a complete beer neophyte who only drank bud light typically with tomato juice. She is now a huge hop head, she has no interest in drinking anything but hoppy beers. Who knows, that could be you.

So where do you live? We can suggest a multitude of well made styles in your area before you commit to 5 gallons.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:45 PM   #25
ktblunden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 250 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper

That's ok.

I agree Yoop, but a lot of styles outside the mainstream tend to get overlooked even by brewers. There are so many beer styles out there that taste nothing like what most people think of as "beer" that it's worth experimenting before writing it all off. Nothing wrong with pursuing wine, mead, or cider though. I've made a batch each of apfelwein and skeeter pee and they both came out great, so I'm thinking of trying out some more fruit wine styles.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:55 PM   #26
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4342 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktblunden View Post
I agree Yoop, but a lot of styles outside the mainstream tend to get overlooked even by brewers. There are so many beer styles out there that taste nothing like what most people think of as "beer" that it's worth experimenting before writing it all off. Nothing wrong with pursuing wine, mead, or cider though. I've made a batch each of apfelwein and skeeter pee and they both came out great, so I'm thinking of trying out some more fruit wine styles.
Yes, but if she's already brewing I assume she's had some experience with beer. If each offering in a sampler is too "beer-like" than I have to make the assumption that beer is the issue. If there has never once beer a beer that can be finished, then I assume it's "beer" and not the style.

There are some non-beer like beers, of course. But some people just don't like beer, just like some people don't like coffee.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:29 AM   #27
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 167 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 7

If you are bent on trying beers I will suggest trying:

Bell's - 2 Hearted and Hoegarden

Have you ever tried a sour beer? I have been getting into these lately and do not think they taste like normal beer at all. For these I would suggest:

Timmerman's
Monk's cafe
Leiffemans in the Blue paper

Then if you still do not like beer why not try to make some cider, mead or wine? I would say try Ed Wort's Apfelwein recipe and Skeeter pee (www.skeeterpee.com) and a JOAM. If you dislike beer don't force yourself to keep trying it, find something you do like!

Old 11-05-2012, 12:40 AM   #28
Kialya
Recipes 

Lord 3 pages since I was out.. Thanks to everyone who made suggestions. Yes, my tastes run sweet/nutty. Not sure about sour. I will pick some and throw em in the keg. I know my husband is good to drink anything I don't like.

And btw, not crazy about wine either but the fruitier ones are easier to drink then beer. My drinks are the fruity stuff as you would expect. Cider sounds interesting. Apples yummy.

I just wanted to give beer a fair shake and not write it off because I did not try many styles.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:51 AM   #29
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 167 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Timmermans IS a sweet/fruity sour (sounds strange) but I bet you would like it.

The Skeeterpee is a sweet lemon wine and sweet meads are great too. (Also why I suggested to make up a JOAM.)

Old 11-05-2012, 01:14 AM   #30
Qhrumphf
Stay Rude, Stay SHARP
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1392 Times on 1011 Posts
Likes Given: 568

My wife is much the same way. I've made exactly two beers she hasn't abhorred, and those were both only "not terrible". One was a Kolsch, and one was a saison that, in my opinion and everyone else's as well, was so heavily over-spiced that it was completely out of balance. She can drink an occasional light lager, but won't finish it. That tastes too much like beer to her as well. And everything she tries, it just tastes like "beer" to her. She can't drink wine because it gives her a headache (not just reds as is usually the case, but whites too, genetic probably cause her mom's the same way). She likes cider, but I haven't been able to get one right yet, and I might have to try a mead eventually and see if she likes that.

So yeah, I'm with Yooper. Some folks just don't like beer.

If you find a style you like, great. But I'd definitely take a whack at cider or mead.

Up Next: Best Bitter, English IPA, Spiced Winter Warmer, Brett. C. Old Ale
Primary: English Summer Ale, Coniston Bluebird Bitter Clone v1.5
Secondary: Sour Stout, Wild Bitter
Bottled: Sticke Altbier, Doppelsticke Altbier, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Spruce Brown Ale, Arrogant Bastard Clone
Bottled for the long haul: Brett B. Tripel, Quadrupel, Tripel, Brett C. Oaked English Barleywine, Lamebic

Quick Reply