Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Here goes ... need opinions on types of beer for virgin palate

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2012, 05:31 PM   #11
Kialya
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Since I am not yet advanced to do partial mash or full grain, I would be looking for extract kits at this point.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 05:34 PM   #12
wilsojos
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts

Have you tried a red ale?

Old 11-04-2012, 05:38 PM   #13
boscobeans
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 306

I always keep a case or two of mildly hopped ( about 10-12 IBU's ) nut brown ale on hand for a few friends who don't like the bitterness of high IBU brews. I also keep the ABV at a little below 5%. Basically it'a a version of New Castle with lower IBU's and more malty, nutty flavor. Give New Castle a try and see if adjusting it might fit your tastes. Lots of kits out there that could easily be modified.

OMO

bosco

Old 11-04-2012, 05:44 PM   #14
ktblunden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 277 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 22

My wife used to say she doesn't like beer, it turns out she hadn't had very many different styles. When I got into brewing she discovered a lot of styles she hadn't ever tried that she really liked.

Try Wit, Hefeweizen, Stout or Brown Porter, Saison, Belgian Dubbel. With the exception of the Stout or Porter these styles all have a complex fruit-type flavor from the yeast that gives it a very different taste than most other beer styles.

Old 11-04-2012, 05:46 PM   #15
olefattguy
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Beer face?

SWMBO (NO, that is NOT her in the pic...) is like this too, does not enjoy beers in general. I think it is the bitterness from the hops that makes her cringe, since she does enjoy really smoky single malts.

One type of beer that she CAN drink though, is Japanese styles like Sapporo and Kirin. Kirin in the US is contract brewed, so it may be quite different from what you can get here in Sweden.

I doubt that there are many kits for this type of beers though, but if you feel up to the challenge, I found a extract/grain recipe on Northern Brewer's forum:
"
1/2 lb carapils

4 lbs pale or extra light malt extract
2 lbs rice syrup solids

1 oz Czech Saaz (60 min)

1/4 oz saaz (15 min)
1/4 oz hersbrucker (15 min)

1/4 oz saaz (1 min)
1/4 oz hersbrucker (1 min)

Wyeast 2007 Pilsen Lager yeast

It's a good base recipe similar Kirin and if you need rice syrup solids NB carries them, with all that other stuff too. Cheers!"

Old 11-04-2012, 06:09 PM   #16
DroolingNeoBrewery
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Yup my wife doesn't like beer...

Nope not true at all. That's what she though until she started drinking my beer.

She will drink (or steal right from my freaking hand) anything I make that's not stupidly hopped.

fruit might help, or chocolate

commercial beers she will drink more than one of are Granville Island Brewery's Raspberry Ale and Young's Double Chocolate Stout. GIBs Raspberry is not bitter at all, its well balanced and slightly tart. Malt up front, on the tongue with a raspberry nose. Clean crisp finish. Young's is bitter but mostly from chocolate and grains not from hops.

also she thinks the mild i just did smelled like a caramel chocolate blondie while it was mashing so she will probably really like that one.

others i have made she liked: best bitter, blackberry porter, and honey brown

Next: Irish Red Ale, Mild, BC Pale, Scotch Ale, Helles, Pils
Planning: Bombardier clone (The real ale cask version, not that sh!te in the bottles)
P1: Chocolate Oatmeal Stout P2: Pear Wine P3: Air P4: Oxyclean
Keg 1: Stout Stout Keg 2: Dead Intruder Mailbock
Bottled: Lots

Old 11-04-2012, 06:10 PM   #17
ong
Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Maybe try a Lindeman's, in either the cherry or raspberry styles. These are sweet, intensely fruity beers that many beer haters love immediately. These days I love and brew all kinds of styles, from milds to IPAs, but years ago, Lindeman's was my "starter" beer (I didn't drink anything until my late 20s). Lots of lambic enthusiasts sneer at them for being sweetened, but that beer is a really amazing fruit bomb.

Oregonians: trade canned goods, homebrew, fresh produce, and more at chowswap.org!

Johnnyhitch1 Likes This 
Old 11-04-2012, 08:13 PM   #18
wilsojos
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts

Abita strawberry is another fruity, barely beery brew.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:37 PM   #19
sudbuster
This ain't my first rodeo....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 273 Times on 215 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kialya View Post
As the thread title states: I am married and brew mainly for my husband's enjoyment. I would actually like to start drinking/tasting beer for myself too however ....

Every beer I have ever tried tastes ... well, like .. beer? To say I am not crazy about the taste is mild to say the least. Every one I have tried makes my face screw up like an old woman. The last time I tried a sampler of craft beer styles was 2 months ago at BJ's and the blondes were barely acceptable(still did not take more then one drink of each) and the darker styles undrinkable period. My local home brew shop owner says I just have not found the right beer yet. So .... any ideas where to start? I have a sensitive palate apparently. (Like my food mildy spiced, etc.)

The only beer I ever remember finishing an entire glass of was literally 20 years ago in Germany; it was a Dunkelweizen. Even then, I remember having to force most of it down. I feel pathetic just posting this but not sure whom else would have the knowledge where to begin.
What bridge do you live under??

Old 11-04-2012, 09:42 PM   #20
moscoeb
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 43 Posts

Search for yuri's thunderstruck pumpkin ale. Low ibu, smooth tastes, extract, easy to brew.

Quick Reply