Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Here goes my first fruit try

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2009, 01:50 AM   #1
TomInMaine
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Here goes my first fruit try

Well in about an hour I am going to rack my primary blonde ale so far on top of 5# of frozen strawberries. I am going to put the 5 lbs in some water and brign up to a boil this should thaw and sanitize them. I will cool them down in an Ice bath then put them into secondary. Rack Ale on top of it for 1 week. going to rack that into a keg for cold conditioning and forced carb. it will be in Keg for two weeks before a party hopefully all goes well.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2009, 06:13 AM   #2
TomInMaine
Recipes 

Here it is in Secondary, because I was not prepared with the proper carboys, I had to change it up a little I hope it works out. I took 5# of strawberries in about 1 to 2 quarts of water I brought it to a boil then pureed the strawberries. I boiled for about 10 mins letting some of the water boil out and was left with a nice thick puree. I cooled to 80* and put into carboy then racked the blonde ale on top. with in an hour it started fermenting again. not sure why the pic shows later I think that it is reflection of camera because I don't see a distinct layer just looking at it.

Strawberry Blonde - HomeBrewTalk Gallery

Old 06-14-2009, 07:31 AM   #3
Killer_Robot
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Watch that one close. I just racked a wheat beer onto some fresh ones and was swiftly greeted with a strawberry krausplosion. At least it's calmed down now, I think.

You might want to get some pectic enzyme too: when you boil fruit it has a tendency to cloud up. I just pasteurized at 160F to avoid that.

Old 06-20-2009, 05:56 PM   #4
TomInMaine
Recipes 

Well I went to keg it last night and man did it suck. I tried to bottle 6 bottles just in case it was good I might enter it into comp or something. and the bottle filler clogged with about two ounces in the fist bottle. I was able to put 5 bottles together and the rest into a keg. it seems very sour when I tasted but hopefully maybe will mellow when carbonated. I think that this is probably going down the drain. On the other note I also kegged my Dunkel Wiezen and it it seemed very drinkable wil probably turn out very good when carbonated.

Old 06-20-2009, 05:58 PM   #5
eschatz

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 16 Posts

You've only let it sit on the strawberries for 5 days. I'd go another week.
I wouldn't dump it. First I'd open the keg up and resyphon it into another keg. Making sure not to get anymore of those strawberries. Then I'd let it mellow for a month and try again with a tasting but not before. Brew something else and try to forget about it for 30 days.

What's tappening? :D

Old 06-20-2009, 06:09 PM   #6
TomInMaine
Recipes 

Interesting idea. I actually had it on the strawberries 7 days, not that that makes a big difference as apposed to the two weeks you recommend. I already started teh carbonation, and it is on the fridge. Should I just leave it there for te month. then rack it to a second keg. as I don't have and open keg right now.

Old 06-20-2009, 07:07 PM   #7
Schnitzengiggle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I still bottle, haven't gotten into the kegging just yet, but for syphoning puposes check this out: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/ques...menter-123597/, I thought it was pretty clever, and I will definitley use this for my next fruit beer. Post #6 has what you're looking for.

Okham's Razor - simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

My DIY Kegerator - My DIY Fermentation Chamber - My DIY Portable Pump Box

Quick Reply