Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Herbs historically used in French/Belgian Ale???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2012, 10:25 PM   #1
Rugrad02
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Default Herbs historically used in French/Belgian Ale???

Hey guys,

I was reading my copy of Michael
Jacksons (RIP), Beer Companion this afternoon and in his Saison description he mentions the historical use of herbs for this genre of beer. He doesn't go into great detail but mentions a Belgian brewer named Jean Louis Ditts that uses Star Anise and orange peel for his saisons. I know that Anise comes from China and probably would not have been used by Belgian or French farmers to make Saisons but I am curious as to what herbs would have been available and used to brew 100+ years ago. I know the French used Juniper berries for medicines but would they have been available to farmers and used for the making of beer? I know that Witbier uses Coriander and Orange peel but were they used in Saisons by farmers?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 11:32 PM   #2
Nateo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Spices got around. They may have been expensive, but they were still used. Pepper was expensive, but anyone who could buy it did. Really poor people probably wouldn't have used spices, but the really poor farmers probably couldn't afford to make much beer either. So I'd say use Anise. I imagine some would've used the "regular" gruit spices of northern Europe, if they had access to them.

To paraphrase Dr. England - "Off-flavors smooth with time. So do mountains. Brew it right from the start!"

My blogsite: http://nateobrew.blogspot.com/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS