The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Helping my mom set up a church home brew club

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2011, 05:07 AM   #1
ashton
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Helping my mom set up a church home brew club

My mom isn't a home brewer. She's usually willing to taste any craft beers my sister, wife, or I pass her way, but at the end of the day she is a Miller Lite girl at heart. She is, however, very interested in the process of home brewing and the history of brewing in the christian church. She's gotten about a dozen like-minded people in her church together and asked me to help her set up a Church/Home Brew Group.

I'm not involved in her church other than the obligatory holidays, but they are all terrific people and I'm flattered/honored to help out with this project! I've already written a few paragraph explanations and directions about the brewing process for them, but I was wondering if anyone on here has done or heard of anything similar. And if so, could I copy some of your ideas, easy recipes, historical lessons, etc!?!?

thanks in advance!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2011, 07:26 AM   #2
scrambledegg81
Flocculation Nation
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 88

All I can say in regards to brewing for (with?) the masses is keep it simple. First thing I would do is take a consensus about types of brew these folk enjoy, then approach your LHBS and beg to check their recipe book. Chances are high in San-D (especially if you go to Hydrobrew in O-side....highly, highly, highly recommend those guys) that they'll have their own recipe book with extract conversions. I'd triple or even quadruple-up on brewing equipment and get the group separated into individual brew crews, then let them have at it.

Good luck!

Primary: Nada
Secondary: The Plinian Legacy (NB clone of Pliny the Elder)
Bottled/Fridge: Firestone Easy Jack IPA
Bombers/Growlers/Aging: Firestone 17th & 18th Anniversary ales
Kegerator: Uinta Hop Notch IPA
Coming Up: something spiffy, most likely

Old 10-02-2011, 12:32 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

I posted a few snippets of info on alcohol and christianity in this thread.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-02-2011, 01:04 PM   #4
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 866 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 1921

I've brewed with friends from church a couple of times - not a formal group, just brewing. One of those times, we made a brew for a 95th Anniversary celebration, it was an easy drinking cream ale http://www.singingboysbrewing.com/95...rsary-Ale.html

Quick Reply